Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do I make a PMV?

Le Kvlt Dawn

So I really want to make one but, I'm a kinda inexperianced. I have plenty of music but, I don't have any clips from FIM. Anypony know any good tutorials?

I dont really know about tutorials, you should be able to search for that sort of thing on Youtube. Just find/download a copy of software like Final Cut/iMovie/Sony Vegas/Adobe Premier and splice some clips together. Then choose a song that you think would fit!

Forgot to say, You can download youtube videos of ponies with a site called Keepvid or you can find a torrent on somewhere like Isohunt or torrents.to of several episodes.

For regular PMV's, you just cut clips from the show and try to synch them to the music. When you get a little complicated, there are effects and stuff like that and I've seen lot's of skilled PMV makers who make it seem like the music was MEANT for MLP.

Ok essentially a PMV consists of two elements. Video clips from MLP FiM and The music. You already have the music, but you are missing the clips. The most legal solution to obtain these clips would be to buy the CDs from the store and rip the files off the CDs however this is a hassle. Instead you could look for an online depository that has the files up for download. I wouldn't worry about the legallity of this because you aren't profiting and it could probably slide under fair use and the chances of you getting in trouble are very low.

Once you have the music and the video clips you need to get a video editing program. I would suggest Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier/after effects. These are expensive, but they are the best and there is a trial for both.

Once you have them I would suggest going about and picking out clips that fit the song. Then watch several tut videos on youtube on how to sync the clips to the vocals of the music.

Practice makes perfect, good luck.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 1

Having high quality clips helps a lot as well. You want your videos to really shine and, to be quite blunt, low-quality hurts. That also applies to making any sort of music video, really - PMVs, professional sports mixes, or AMVs.