How do you make friends here?

Away

(edited)

How do you become friends with other fellow bronies here on the forums? And I don't just mean people on your friends list. I mean REAL friends (and please don't be a smartass and say things like "Well, what is a friend?" and stuff like that). I mean people that you have really formed a connection with and would call your true friends.

Also, could you give any advice on how to make more successful connections here? What I usually do is just PM people. Any other methods you would recommend?

Edited by LatinoChurro
  • Brohoof 9

Well first... you get yourself a large rope. Then you take lessons from Applejack on how to lasso people. Once lassoed, hog tie them down and demand in your best Fluttershy impersonation

"You are going to LOVE ME"

Then get a potion from Zecora, not a love potion but a friendship one. Say three times "Friendship is magic" before pouring it down their throat.

After that, Get Pinkie Pie to throw them a party in their honor, make sure Twilight is there with her baby dragon so you can Spike the punch.

If possible, bribe Rainbow Dash to do a Sonic Rainboom in their honor, and have her write their name in the clouds.

Last step: Be yourself and just chat with people, engage in role play if that's your thing, or just send them a friendly brohoof once in a while and maybe a private message.... then you might exchange skype or other one on one chat methods..... and they will all be held fast under your spell!

(I've been getting tips from Trixie)

Mikestar Smartass Brony.

img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

• Brohoof 12

Honestly, I've been trying to answer that question myself. I think your best bet would be to help your fellow brony if they need help,(there's an awful lot of threads with that involved) and be open as a friend to others who are looking for friends. Warmth and engagement in the conversation, you know. :)

• Brohoof 4

Well what is a friend? Hahahaha.... ya see what I did there. Ya know, it's just sorta of a random encounter thing. That's how it worked for me.

• Brohoof 2

How to make friends is entirely subjective because each one of us have different ways of associating with people and establishing relationships with each other. For me, its as easy as adding me as a friend! (That is why I have it open) and having people PM me to start a conversation up because I love it when people talk to me! :P

As for others, it depends. Helping others/offering opinion, engaging in roleplays, commenting/just talking to people with similar interests, etc.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the friends I make are people I've happened to interact with often enough that I know random facts about them. Take @@NostalgicPony for instance: him and I have been talking via PM for a while, and I can chat to him about whatever. So I suppose one way to make friends is just to talk a bunch.

The other way I've found to make friends is through business arrangements. I'm now good pals with my editor, the guy I'm coauthoring a story with, the guy I'm developing a game with, the girl I'm coauthoring with, etc. So if you get your name out there, people will wanna be your friend!

Basically, just be a nice person and start chatting up random people.

• Brohoof 1

Just keep talking to someone until they become like an actual friend. Thats the best I can say, I mean I gots people on my FL, but none are really like personal friends(no offense to my friends. We should talk more).

Hmm, that is a good question! When I first joined the forums, I made all my friends in the chatroom. Well, really I just made one friend and then interacting with them led me to interacting with others and all of a sudden, I had friends! Of course, MLPforums no longer has a chatroom, but don't let that discourage you! These days, most of my friends are not from the chat room (met them when that feature was removed). There's a couple ways that I've grown close to some members.

Usually what happens is that I am sent a friend request by someone I've interacted with before. Then I PM them and open up room for conversation. If they're not really wanting to talk, then I take it that they'd rather be acquaintances, but if they chat it up with me then yay a potential friendship is at hand! Sometimes I invite them to add me on skype and we chat there because the PM system is slower than an instant messenger.

Sometimes though, there will be people who know who I am because I visit the same topics as them, so I know who they are too. And they don't really PM me or even send me friend requests, but we sometimes talk to each other in those topics. Sometimes we like to comment on each other's statuses and we chat to one another there (though not as intensively like you would in a PM). And then maybe they send me a PM and I give them my skype. Maybe these people aren't my friends, but they're people I like and talk to sometimes! I consider them friends anyway.

I have plenty of friends from these forums by just being nice and going about my business. One of my friends theorized it's because I'm a girl that I make friends easily, but that is just an awful assumption! I think if you want to make friends, you need to be kind and find people who you think you'd get along with. All of my friends are relaxed, smart, and very nice. I'm told I'm those things as well, so maybe I make friends with these people because we are similar! Or maybe they're too polite to tell me to go away.

Don't be afraid to interact with other members (even if it's just a brohoof)! Everyone here is a delight. I'm sure you'll make friends in no time wink.png Good luck!

• Brohoof 5

Despite the friendliness and good-heartedness of this forum and the fandom, I still find it difficult to make friends myself. Sadly I cannot offer any advice, but I have made a friend or two through the roleplay forums. After several RPs with them together and a personal crisis of mine, I had no one to turn to and decided to jump in the deep end. We've been friends since then, really. But from what I hear, is generally a friendly person anyway, so i'm not sure if I can count him as a friend ;) Haha, you know i'm joking. ph34r.png

(edited)

For Real Life:

You know, it's funny. Most of the time, I just come up to the person and start up a conversation. If he/she likes what I like, and we can have an engaging talk, then Ta-Da! New friend acquired. I can easily make a friend just by talking to them for a little but.

On the internet:

It's not that hard. If I came across someone within a game, or it's a forum, I just send them a personal message, and I say "Hey, you seem like a cool person, want to be friends?" Well, that's not what I say word for word, but... You know what I mean.

I never actually noticed how simple I make friends actually... unsure.png

Edited by Twi Rubix

I'm kinda shy and I don't like bugging people, so I never PM people unless they want me to. To be honest, I don't have any like super close friends on the forums, but I have made friends with people mainly by interacting with them on status updates or in certain topics on the forums. Or sometimes I will see that I have things in common with someone so I might write a comment on their profile or something. 

• Brohoof 2

i guess i made a few friends already on the short period of time i've been on this forum. i don't do anything like skype chat or something like that tough. so i don't know if you can call it real friends. anyways i have tons of friendly and fun chats with them on my statusses and visa versa. so if anything i'm glad they are there XD 

if i where to give you any tips on this it would be to go search for people who share the same intersts. then chat a little with them and take it from there. 

hope you make some friends soon! :)

I may not be one to talk(i have no real live friends) but most times if people like the same thing you like and you don't be a butt head online you will make lots of frineds. I have like 20 real good online friends on my gun/hunting forum and lots of ok frimeds on a swords/weapons forum.

Wait i guess i have work frineds(people i am frineds with only at work) but i only see them at work.

http://youtu.be/dvYBx0y2BTo that is one why not to make friends.

>insert thread

>insert plummu

>trollololol

>people find me funny 

>they talk to me

Mostly, people who message me to get to know me get upset with me, because I'm usually not as fun or positive in private messages. It's mostly the people that act silly with me that end up liking me, because I also act silly with them. That's really about it. I do not go out of my way to befriend any one, but I also don't neglect others all that much. 

Just be yourself, How i met a lot of my friends is by posting and offering advice on the life advice threads i met a lot of friends there and i wouldn't give them up for anything. Like Atomic he's such a good friend and i hope we always stay friends. Another wise thing to do is make a skype it's good for to have nice and long conversations with fellow vronies once you make friends.

You seem nice and friendly so why not add me as a friend :), Just Skype me if you have one and if not we can just PM you can PM about anything so don't be shy yay.png

Well, I may not be the best person to be friends with but if you don't mind having the seemingly insane friend who knows way too much biology and nordic culture I'm willing to be your friend, just add me as a friend.

It's hard to give advice on something that's so... well, so variable.

Since indivuduals are different from one another, creating a close and meaningful relationship with anyone is going to require different things - there are different ways to get into people's hearts. Personalities, dreams, ambitions, sense of humor, history, and oh so much more - people are complex and that's why there's no one way to just make a friend.

However, online the best way to be noticed is to be active and sociable- and if you are noticed, there's bound to be people who notice and like you and want to interact with you. Through simple interaction, you can draw people to you. You can also approach the people you're drawn to. There are plenty of methods, you just have to pick one that suits you!

Last but not least and perhaps a little at the risk of sounding cliched - friendship isn't something you have to pursue, it can just happen and it's usually best when it happens that way. It's not inherently bad to pursue a friendship, but letting them evolve over time and form on their own is rewarding because those relationships are usually the ones most suited to you and last longest.

Best of luck finding a friend and a salve to that loneliness, don't give up- sometimes it takes a while. As you can see, there are a lot of people here who want to get to know you better already - you're off to a great start! 

Well, I've made my friends through roleplays. Even though I haven't spoke to the people I've roleplayed with to a great extent, I still feel a connection to them when my character gets to know theirs. For example, I recently finished a roleplay involving a dark tournament where many of the contestants were bloodthirsty killers. In addition, the committee which organized the tournament was corrupt, and they had plans of their own. My character was one of the few who wanted to go without bloodshed, and when the mastermind made his grand move, my character stood with several others against him. After the end, I felt like I'd formed a bond with the players who stood with me, and I feel much more at ease not only participating in RPs with them in the future, but also when talking to them.

If you aren't into RPs, then I'd suggest posting and finding people with similar interests and opinions, and then talking to them via PMs and getting to know them.

(edited)

Um well... I love to talk to random people, which I do through status updates, forum threads and skype. But the people that I call friends are people I have talked a lot with. First I make sure to be a lot on the forums, you know, post a lot and look around in threads. Because well I see what kind of people every person here are (not exactly since it's the internet, but I get a lil' view of how you guys are)

I'll take one of my best forum friend @Lady Rarity Pony as example (even though we don't talk as much as we used to), who I started talking with through skype a lot. We did a few voice chats and haha he were soooooo shy when I first started talking to him, haha it was really funny :3

I even sent some stuff  to three of my forum friends.. Though I I don't really have contact with one of them anymore.. Haha I remember that I sent lurpy a christmas card, and I think it even said like merry christmas on swedish on it xD

So yeah, just pick a person and talk like...a lot.

I'm kinda shy and I don't like bugging people, so I never PM people unless they want me to. To be honest, I don't have any like super close friends on the forums, but I have made friends with people mainly by interacting with them on status updates or in certain topics on the forums. Or sometimes I will see that I have things in common with someone so I might write a comment on their profile or something. 

Shy people... :3

You should start talking to Jokuc c:

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

Take a leap of faith

Go into an RP and the people you role play with add them as you're friend because you'll realise they want to be you're friend too.

My advice I have to offer, just talk and mingle with others and something will probably eventually happen naturally.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't work, but no fish was ever caught by staying away from the water.

(edited)

1. Go to anime thread.

2. Insult anime, anime fans, and anime creators.

3. ????

4. PROFIT!!!

More seriously: a simple way to make friends is to start a conversation with them somewhere on the forums. In a thread, pm, status update. If they are worthy seem alright, then ask for their skype home address, and social security number and get to know 'em more.

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

(edited)

It's not all that hard really just be yourself and keep posting in threads. In time you will meet people with similar interests that you have and in no time you will become buds. Just be sure to put yourself out there and message people and spark a conversation with others. Most importantly stick around here for a while and just break out of your shell and ask people what they like smile.png

I am very shy myself and have a hard time initiating conversations with others but I am trying to work on that about myself.  

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne