Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Canterlot Mystery Theater: Exit Trixie, Stage Left. (OOC) [RETIRED]

Key Gear

RP Link

This RP is dead… Long live mystery RP games!

post-1882-0-84839000-1346691565_thumb.png

Trixie can't wait to be the center of attention!

Introduction

A wealthy, eccentric member of Canterlot's elite decided to invite a handful of ponies over to her mansion for a party. Why? Well, because she was bored. She likes to have fun, but things had been rather dull. What better way to lighten up the atmosphere than a party with random ponies from across Equestria?

With that thought in mind, she sent a number of letters. Each letter contained an invitation to an exclusive party. The letters provided no more information on the party than the date, time, location, and the name of the host. Some that received the unusual invitation discarded it, but others, for various reasons, decided to accept. After all, could rationally refuse the opportunity to attend a party in a Canterlot mansion?

In preparation for the party, the host went through the usual steps. She purchased the foods and planned the menu. She hired a band to provide music for the evening. The mansion was cleaned thoroughly and the guest rooms were prepared. Some party games and door prizes were set up. Finally, the highlight of the evening was arranged - a visit from one of the most popular stage acts in all of Equestria, The Great and Powerful Trixie.

Everything started slowly and innocently. A chain of events with no malevolent intentions in sight. Yet, they still lead to something unprecedented - a murder. But, not just any murder. The death of one of the most infamous stage magicians in all of Equestria - Trixie. So, who did it? Was it me? Was it you? Perhaps it was one of the other guests? Aren't you curious? Don't you want to find out?

About This RP

Invitations are now open for the first RP Game of the Canterlot Mystery Theater! (I'm something of a mystery fan, so if this goes well, then I hope to always have one of these active.)

In this RP, you will be playing as a pony that has been invited to an exclusive, somewhat mysterious, and rather posh party in Canterlot. We will start the RP at the beginning of the party as the guests are arriving. The party host will greet guests and guide the group through events until the primary entertainment begins - Trixie.

As you might've guessed, one of Trixie's stage acts goes horribly wrong. While members of the Royal Guard's investigative division rules the event as an accident, a clever, young private investigator discovers that something significantly more nefarious is ahoof. Things proceed from there until the mystery is solved or the murderer(s) escape scot-free.

This mystery will be in the classical style of Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot. There will be no Wild West shootouts, excessive messiness (gore, disembowelment, etc), or anything else like that. Without giving too much away, the method of the murder will be somewhat unconventional. There'll be no pony cupcakes in this RP.

The Golden Rule

So, at this point, I'm sure you're wondering, “How in the world can you have a mystery RP?”

Well, I thought about the same thing, and I eventually concluded that it actually wouldn't be too hard at all! The key is to preserve the mystery. With that thought in mind, I have come up with a "golden rule". The player(s) that play as the murderer(s) cannot reveal to other players either how they committed the crime or the fact that they are the murderer. Here's how we'll do it:
  • At some point after we begin the RP, I will contact each player via private message and figure out who the murderer or murderers will be.
  • If there are multiple murders, then they will know about the existence of the other and will work together throughout the RP.
  • Once we have figured out who the murderer will be, then the murderer(s) will have some options as to how they will commit the crime.
  • After the murderer(s) lets me know how they plan to proceed, I will write the glorious death scene and the local Royal Guards will investigate.
  • It is essential to the RP that the murderer tried to give absolutely nothing away. So, no “beads of sweat forming” or something like that.
  • However, if your character isn't the murderer, then feel free to have them exhibit signs that they are. The more confusing the mystery, the better things will be.
Now, just a couple of side notes regarding this.
  • I will not be contacting characters until after we begin the RP because the murder was not premeditated. Remember, not a single character knew that Trixie was going to be there. There are no long, winding nefarious plans at work.
  • While I will know the identity of the murderer and how they committed the crime, my character will not (and may or may not actually be a murderer - nice, eh). Don't worry, I will maintain perfect separation of thoughts between my character and myself.
  • Other than me, another player that will know the identity of the murderer will be the player of the character hosting the event. Just in case I get busy, that will allow them to keep things rolling.

The Private Investigator

Finally, let's talk about the investigator. The player playing as the private investigator will not know who the murderer(s) are before it is uncovered via clues and observations. If you are playing as the investigator though, don't worry. You have certain tools that you will be able to use - the powers of logic, deduction, observation, and CLUES. So, how does this work?
  • Just like the murderer(s), the investigator will have an open channel of communication to both myself and the player with the OC hosting the party.
  • Based on the method chosen by the murderer(s), certain clues will be left behind the investigator.
  • Once the murder has been committed, the investigator will be given some observances that they will be able to use to figure out the case.
  • The investigator will be able to choose whether or not to reveal what they know to others at any point in time.
  • If the investigator does choose to reveal the information that they have discovered, then the murderer(s) will have the ability to act on that information. (They'll have to act quietly of course and not in a way to obviously betray themselves. Basically, they'll want to communicate with me or the host through private message.)
A side note regarding the investigator. He is smart. Incredibly smart. You can expect the character that is the investigator to know a few facts about your character before your character has told them. He may even be able to deduce your character's name and elements of your characters past. Basically, the investigator has all the capabilities of a Sherlock Holmes.

So, Let's Go!

As you can tell, this RP will be just a bit different from most of the other ones on the site. This is an advanced RP and more will be expected from the players. Don't worry though, if you are a decent RP player, then you should be fine. Feel free to apply! Just be aware that you may not be accepted if your character's backstory is too short or otherwise doesn't fit in well with the RP.

I am really dedicated towards moving this RP at a decent speed from the beginning of the party to the end of the investigation. I've actually always wanted to do something like this, so my primary goal is to keep this thing alive and interesting/fun for all players. So, without further ado, here are the ground rules:

Essential Rules of RP Playing (Thanks Arylett!)

• Proper spelling and grammar is expected at all times. I will not chew you out for minor typos, but if it is consistent, I will have to put my foot down.
  • It is highly encouraged though that you write detailed and quality posts, and make them as long as you wish.
  • This RP is expected to go at a more moderate pace than most. So no repetitive quick posting. In fact, to enforce this, you must wait until at least two people post before you before you post again.
  • If, however, it has been at least one day and only one person has posted before you, you may post again.
  • Note that the above may be changed depending on roleplay activity. I will announce this.
  • To keep activity up, there will be an activity check every two weeks. If you have not posted in two weeks, your character will meet a terrible fate be ejected from the RP and your spot will be re-opened for new roleplayers to join.
  • I will be carefully overlooking and approving every character form that is posted. Just because you post it, does not mean you are automatically accepted. If you are accepted, I will quote your post and say Accepted. Until then, you are NOT accepted into the RP and cannot post until I say so. If you are not accepted, I will quote your post and explain what you need to change to become accepted.
  • Alicorns are strictly prohibited. You may only play as an earth pony, a pegasus, a flower, or a unicorn.

Player List

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 9

I'd love to join but I’m still changing Ivy profile so it's not very detailed. So I’m sorry that my profile is not that good so i fully accept if you say no because she's not finished yet :). Also she is in my signature!

This is, plainly said, a brilliant RP. I am a huge fan of mysteries, and this RP was well thought out. I would like t join as a party guest, which is what I would have to join as anyway. I will be using my OC Water Opal.

http://mlpforums.com...ater-opal-r1409

Water Opal has a nice color scheme! However, there isn't much information there for me to have a good understanding of where your character is from, how they became who they are, and why the host decided to invite them to the party. If you could add some more details that better explain your character, then I'll be happy to have them.

Woah! this looks mighty interesting immediately memories of the Novel "And then there were none" resurfaces. if i may say so id like to join in on the RP as my OC http://mlpforums.com...ver-storm-r1497 (Anything wrong with him?)

So id imagine this will be fun.

Actually, that novel was part of the inspiration for this idea (but no worries, the guests will not be getting killed ^_^).

Silver Storm needs more information as well. While you do give some information about his nature, there really isn't much in his backstory. Your character likes adventures? That would actually fit pretty well, but perhaps you could explain one or more of your adventures in the backstory?

Perhaps you could add a few paragraphs talking about something amazing that your character did on an adventure in Equestria? That would be good, because it would give the host an excellent reason to invite your character to the event.

Hey, I'd like to sign up. Here is my OC http://mlpforums.com...is-lazuli-r1061 I hope he is good enough. I think he would fit in though. Can't wait for you to get enough people.

This OC looks fantastic and has a good backstory and personality as well.

The only thing that is missing is a reason for your character to have been invited to the party. Perhaps you could add a paragraph or so about your family's business? A well-known family business would be a great reason for your character to have received one of the random invites. Or, you could add a paragraph about some adventure or experience that made your character moderately well-known.

I'd love to join but I’m still changing Ivy profile so it's not very detailed. So I’m sorry that my profile is not that good so i fully accept if you say no because she's not finished yet :). Also she is in my signature!

Well, if you can add the details within the next few days, then I would be very happy to have your character in the RP. Right now, there isn't really enough there for me to go on. So long as there are slots open in the RP though, you'll be able to join at a later time if you are not able to put the details in over the next few days. (Your character would just arrive a little late to the party.)

oh i would very muck like to be apart of this RP but i may need to a just to locate my OC *15 minutes later*

http://mlpforums.com...wift-echo-r1055 let me know if any changes need to be made.

That's an interesting back story, but your character doesn't actually seem like he would be a very good fit in this RP. :huh: This is a civilian thing, so being a Knight doesn't fit very well.

If you had a normal civilian OC with a profile that talked in detail about their life and life experiences, then that would work much better.

Hmm... I'm not exactly sure whether I DO want to hop into this RP or not, but... I must say, I love the idea! Maybe I'll decide to pop in, but I'll think on it a little first :P

PLZ PLZ PLZ!!! Uhhh.....

I mean… Yes, definitely take your time and think about =]

• Brohoof 3

This OC looks fantastic and has a good backstory and personality as well.

The only thing that is missing is a reason for your character to have been invited to the party. Perhaps you could add a paragraph or so about your family's business? A well-known family business would be a great reason for your character to have received one of the random invites. Or, you could add a paragraph about some adventure or experience that made your character moderately well-known.

Alright, I've expanded upon his back story. I hope I didn't make it seem unnatural or anything. I did my best to fit in a way for Lapis Lazuli to be somewhat known before the Roleplay. Is it any better?

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... Aw what the buck? I'm bored and feel like it :P I have the link in my sig, but for those viewing on the phone, or using the site's mobile theme, or both... Here's the link :P

http://mlpforums.com...electrobolt-r19

But yeah, VERY interesting idea... Who could have done it???

Accepted! :D

(Just add a line or two to your character's back story about winning a videogame contest in Canterlot, and it would work perfectly!)

@, i can make some changes i need to flush his personality abit more anyway , he's mainly used for war rp's so can i at least keep a solider background with him.

Well, this RP is basically the total opposite of a war RP, so I really don't think that it would fit very well. Also, if you are used to playing war RPs, then this RP might actually be your style. It is a whodunit style mystery. :ph34r:

Alright, I've expanded upon his back story. I hope I didn't make it seem unnatural or anything. I did my best to fit in a way for Lapis Lazuli to be somewhat known before the Roleplay. Is it any better?

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to join this roleplay! I think you'll agree that my character would contribute hugely to the story. One of my best OCs yet. :)

http://mlpforums.com...rs/_/rose-r1501

... Pfft... You... Hah... You caught me in the middle of my laughter from earlier and this... This just contributed to my laughings!!! XD By the way, to see why I started laughing, look at the Shifted OOC XD

(Just add a line or two to your character's back story about winning a videogame contest in Canterlot, and it would work perfectly!)

Hahah, I could see that working... xP So yeah, I'll add that eventually... After my laughing spree calms down... xD

• Brohoof 2

But yeah, VERY interesting idea... Who could have done it???

It was me! :P

No, seriously though, as the Investigator that rules me out. Although possible It would be too strange of a twist if it was as I would be investigating myself and would turn out really weird.

Here's my OC, Daylight, as well as a picture of him in formal attire.

http://mlpforums.com.../daylight-r1349

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to join this roleplay! I think you'll agree that my character would contribute hugely to the story. One of my best OCs yet. :)

http://mlpforums.com...rs/_/rose-r1501

This is madness! Totally complete madness!

Oh wait… Guys, this may look ridiculous… But, it turns out that Rose has a very important role to play in this RP. :huh:

But what could the flower have to do with an RP??? Is it poisonous? Is it really a pony in disguise…

Auriety… Please don't spill the beans to anyone. NO SPOILING! :ph34r:

*ahem*

ACCEPTED! :ph34r:

• Brohoof 4

Well, this RP is basically the total opposite of a war RP, so I really don't think that it would fit very well. Also, if you are used to playing war RPs, then this RP might actually be your style. It is a whodunit style mystery. :ph34r:

your saying that like i don't know what a 'who done it' is (i personally prefer Noire ) . do you rely think im gonna treat it like a war RP its a back story as in something in the ponies past

but if you don't want me in the RP rather then let me make the changes. fine.

Water Opal has a nice color scheme! However, there isn't much information there for me to have a good understanding of where your character is from, how they became who they are, and why the host decided to invite them to the party. If you could add some more details that better explain your character, then I'll be happy to have them.

1. Will the host's name be Dogges Arylett or something else?

2. I shall edit it now.

I shall add as much detail as I can possibly think of, and I will PM you when it is ready.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, that novel was part of the inspiration for this idea (but no worries, the guests will not be getting killed ). Silver Storm needs more information as well. While you do give some information about his nature, there really isn't much in his backstory. Your character likes adventures? That would actually fit pretty well, but perhaps you could explain one or more of your adventures in the backstory? Perhaps you could add a few paragraphs talking about something amazing that your character did on an adventure in Equestria? That would be good, because it would give the host an excellent reason to invite your character to the event

Ok i edited my OC's background a bit his job is basically being a mercenary and stopping small skirmishes he also stopped a dragon which got him a lot of recognition. Let me know if i have to add more because i can if i have too.

Edited by Cluttzershy

1. Will the host's name be Dogges Arylett or something else?

2. I shall edit it now.

I shall add as much detail as I can possibly think of, and I will PM you when it is ready.

Excellent! The more detail, the better! :D

It will be helpful in this RP especially, because it will give others an idea how it would be to actually know your character in real life.

(By the way, the host will be Pearl!)

Ok i edited my OC's background a bit his job is basically being a mercenary and stopping small skirmishes he also stopped a dragon which got him a lot of recognition. Let me know if i have to add more because i can if i have too.

This is still really short though. In addition to that, Manehatten is highly unlikely to need mercenaries to protect it from dragons. It's a big city (think like Manhattan in real life). Also, a mercenary is not likely to receive an invitation to a party in Canterlot.

• Brohoof 2

http://mlpforums.com...wift-echo-r1055

made some change and complacently removed any background about Swift being a solider however its just something i made up as i went along.

can i be apart of the RP now or do you still thing this RP would be for me then i'll leave it be... i'll probably go get drunk in stead.

Don't get me wrong, this is a better back story, but it still doesn't have enough detail. It should have more about your character's life and life experiences. Then there is another problem, if your character has a distaste for the upper-class then why would they go to a party that takes place in Canterlot because they received a random invite?

• Brohoof 1

Don't get me wrong, this is a better back story, but it still doesn't have enough detail. It should have more about your character's life and life experiences. Then there is another problem, if your character has a distaste for the upper-class then why would they go to a party that takes place in Canterlot because they received a random invite?

you receive a letter for a party with free food, drink and a performance with the great and powerful Trixie, would you decline that?

also his distaste for the upper is somewhat hypocritical because Swift is Upper class himself (be glad i didn't make him an alcoholic)

h was adopted into a rich family, the raised to make sure he makes the family look good and thus feels like fraud and a actor so when he left his home each town he went to he put on a different act what else should i put in there despite the obvious personality complex.

i would very much like to be apart of the RP, my changeing of my OC is proof of that

but you have made up you mind that i'm not welcome, so I'll leave it be

Well, I have Electrobolt's backstory updated, including a certain unicorn that I'm sure you all know :P Hopefully this isn't too out there, but if it is, don't hesitate to warn me

Actually, I think that the part that you added is perfect, and altogether quite epic. I had to actually read it several times so I could savor each and every word. EARTH PONIES RULE 4 EVARZ!!!! (Of course, I am totally and completely unbiased.) ^_^

Yep, I think that such a victory would definitely explain why your character was invited to the party. :D

• Brohoof 2