Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Introduction and Issues with the Fanbase

sampsoninc916

Dear Everypony at MLP Forums,

Allow me to introduce myself. My username is sampsoninc916 on these forums, but on Youtube, I'm known as alternatekennesaw, yet on that channel I usually address myself by my real name, Jordan White. As much as I love the show I have come to love like you guys do, I also seem to have deep concerns, usually about how the fanbase responds to certain things in the show. Most of these come from the season 2 finale A Canterlot Wedding, which I think deserves a title change just because of its content. The things that trouble me the most are as follows:

1. Shining Armor tells Twilight to not show up at the wedding, and her friends, and Celestia leave the room to check on the princess, with Celestia saying to Twilight, "You have a lot to think about."

2. Princess Celestia getting knocked out by Queen Chrysalis solely because she consumed Shining Armor's love for Cadence.

Basically, these are the top 2 things, but fans have this strange attitude of taking something that sounds right on screen, such as her friends leaving the room to check on the Princess so Twilight can learn her lesson, and turning it into something negative, such as taking the aforementioned situation and turning it into her friends and Celestia completely abandoning her. Here are examples of what they do to certain situations on this show:

1. Celestia is a goddess.

2. Celestia is a mean troll.

3. Celestia is a weakling.

4. Celestia and Twilight's friends abandon her when she does something wrong.

5. Celestia is useless and pathetic.

6. Pinkie Pie has a dark side named Pinkamina Diane Pie.

7. Rainbow Dash and Applejack are lesbians.

8. Celestia is related to Discord.

9. Rarity is a brat (just an educated guess from things I've seen from the fanbase).

10. Every one of the show's sacred powers is useless against strong enemies.

11. Equestria is a World.

All these issues just nag me so much. Maybe even you have issues with the fanbase of the show just like me. Here are my responses for all those statements:

1. Celestia is not a goddess. She is an immortal yet completely vulnerable flesh and blood alicorn pony, probably from whatever country outside of Equestria alicorns, sort of like the elves in Lord of the Rings.

2. Celestia is not a mean troll. At parties she likes to lighten the mood by making friendly jokes. She was too busy to tell Fluttershy about Philamena before she tried to take care of her.

3. Celestia is never weak at all. If you work for the military or Secret Service or anything like that, and you dare to step up to the plate and protect your country from enemies great and small, even if it means sometimes failing, then you are not weak at all. Celestia has that quality, but even so, when people say things like "defeated", "ass handed to her", "pwned" "get her ass kicked", etc., I keep on thinking of death. My dad says that defeat rarely ever means death. The mane stopped flowing just because her mane was completely touching the ground, compared to when she got freed from the cocoon, when her mane was partially touching the ground.

4. Celestia and Twilight's friends would never abandon her because they are way too dedicated to her. They wanted Twilight to just learn her lesson after making accusations against "Cadence". Even if she was wrong, they would be able to go back and check up on her as well as comfort her, telling her to understand the situation and what they're trying to do with her, calm down, rest and she would feel better in the morning. In fact, the only time that Twilight's friends abandoned her was because they were "discorded" by Discord.

5. Celestia has never been useless or pathetic. She understood what Twilight was going through with Discord and sent her back the friendship reports to motive her to keep on going. She saw the signs of Nightmare Moons return and requested Twilight to make friends in order to use that power because she knew she had the magic inside of her to do so. If Celestia did neither of these things, then Equestria would be in a worse state than it already is.

6. Pinkie Pie only had her mane straightened and got said only because she thought something about her friends not wanting to be her friends anymore was true even though it wasn't. She still was Pinkie Pie.

7. Rainbow Dash and Applejack are not lesbians. They are two friends with similar interests that like to hang out together a lot.

8. Celestia is not related to Discord. Discord is an enemy and the real troll and the royal sisters saw that he was an enemy, so they turned him to stone with their powers.

9. I don't have too much to say about this, except that Rarity is sometimes a brat, but a lot of the time she isn't.

10. The Elements of Harmony were able to beat Nightmare Moon and Discord. The only reason the mane 6 couldn't get access to them was because the building was so stock full of changelings that they would have been mobbed if they tried to get through. Princess Celestia has hands down the strongest magic known to ponydom, Being several millennia old, she must have been able to harness serious training in not only magic combat, but also hoof to hoof combat. So even if she couldn't beat Chrysalis, she could be able to beat tons of other enemies.

11. Equestria has always been a country. Episode 37 was all about the founding of the country of Equestria. Even in Episode 7, Twilight wrote that the "dragon has departed our fair country". A threat to the country of Equestria wouldn't affect countries outside of Equestria. If Equestria were a world, then everyone would be "frakked" as one would say on Battlestar Galactica.

I believe in all of my statements strongly, yet the fanbase still creates such negativeness to something that is either positive or more realistic. Besides, I'm autistic and I am quite sensitive to some of things that normal people either assume or find funny, such as Peter Griffin on Family Guy calling Grimace Ronald McDonald's autistic friend, or even some of the previews for Daniel Tosh's Brickleberry, where a bunny "fraks" another animal and the ranger says "Yes!" to the scene. Not only would I like for you to respond in a positive and friendly manner, but also welcome me to the MLP Forums. Oh, and I am expecting Season 3.

• Brohoof 4

You do realize the most of the things you use are jokes and or you misunderstanding of what it actually is right?

For example: Celestia being a troll is just a joke

And Rainbow dash being paired with Applejack is just because it looks cute, they don't actually believe they are gay.

• Brohoof 3

There's honestly not much more I can say about this, either that all the things you brought up are not 100% real fanon things, just the opinions of over judgmental people, or jokes.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think you can really say that RD/AJ aren't lesbians. Neither have had their orientation confirmed within the show, so they could just as easily be lesbians as they could be straight. Most people don't take shipping very seriously though, it's just something fun to do.

I do agree with number 6 & 9 though. I never liked the idea of Pinkie having this crazy scary side, nor do I think it makes sense at all. However if some people want to interpret it that way, then whatever floats their boat. Likewise with Rarity, if some people just interpret her character to be bratty then that's their own formed opinion, even if I don't agree with it. Besides though, since Season 2 Rarity has a lot more love!

That aside, welcome to the forums, I'm sure it'll be great seeing you around! I'm still kinda new here myself, though~ :D

• Brohoof 1

I think you're taking the jokes of the fandom waaaay to seriously. It's all just brony inside jokes and funny parodies. Jokes like that aren't meant to represent people's actual opinions about the show or its characters.

No offense intended at all, but I have to agree with what people are saying here. You are looking a bit too into this and taking jokes and fanon as being honest opinions, mostly.

Also, when it comes to Twilight's friends abandoning her after she chases out Chrysalis, that's shunning, AKA the silent treatment. It happens constantly in the real world, and it's not a permanent abandoning or anything like that. It's saying, "I am angry and/or disappointed at you, and can't stand to talk to you right now." After the upset party calms down and/or the one who messed up apologizes, things tend to go back to normal, unless there's a deep seated problem that it stems from.

It's bred from a combination of someone being so disappointed they don't want to talk to you at the time, and them wanting to punish you by giving the cold shoulder.

Well, a lot of these things are jokes within the fandom. If ya don't like them, then that's fine.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your time here. Such well thought out posts like that are strongly encouraged here. You'll fir right in.

Edited by DylanKLJ

Canon ≠ Fanon

Every fanbase takes these two entities and rams them against each other, grinding them with jokes and continuity that can irritate people. I agree with a lot of your responses to those ideas initially listed, but like what's been said, they're all internet memes and jokes, and shouldn't be taken too seriously. In the end, arguing about it is just going to annoy others, in the same way the first person got annoyed by the memes and jokes in the first place. It's not at all worth it.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Well, you guys are all making my life a good bit more comfortable. Are you guys bronies, sort of like me? Apparently a flaw with Asperger's syndrome, something that I'm diagnosed with, is that I tend to think too seriously on anything sounding mean that is supposed to be funny, more broadly, I'm thinking unrealistically. I actually do participate in the fandom a bit, as a matter of fact, I am part of an upcoming fanfic from a fan with asperger's where I've created an OC called Emerald Wishes, which is basically me as a pony. I'm also currently working on a private screenplay for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic The Movie that after college, I plan to get consent from Hasbro to make, but only after I make a successful animated feature film, done in Flash, nonetheless. I keep on wondering if Disney should distribute it. There is a fan movie called Journey to the Spark but its not official. I've got to get back to studying. Dad wants me to anyway. In the meantime check out my Youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/alternatekennesaw . It features film reviews and several MLP episode reviews.

Oh, and another thing about me. Because of my autism, I sometimes think that specific bad situations, such as the ending to A Canterlot Wedding Part 1, are worse than they actually are, when in actuality, they're more in line with what's right in life, meaning that if someone has loved you and looked after you for so long, like my parents, then no matter what the bad mistakes that you make are, then they would never leave you because they really want you to improve and learn from your mistakes. Sorry about the run on sentence, but this attitude may be a little common with not only Twilight Sparkle, but also other people around me in life as well. If I was writing a letter to Princess Celestia, then the previous words that I wrote down would be included directly in that letter.

Edited by sampsoninc916

The part about Applejack and Rainbow Dash being Lesbian made me laugh. It probably started with some brony who has a MLP fetish and a weird imagination.

Just like the Rainbow Dash supposedly kissing Fluttershy in part 2 of "A Canterlot Wedding" which to makes about as much sense as rain rising out of the ground.

I'm late to the party, but welcome to the forums. Good luck with that dream of yours, I hope you accomplish it my friend. I can sympathize with you on your feeling about standing by someone. God knows I've made my share of mistakes already as young as I am. I'm lucky to have the people that are there for me and help me down life's road.

May your stay here be a pleasant one.

Well, you guys are all making my life a good bit more comfortable. Are you guys bronies, sort of like me? Apparently a flaw with Asperger's syndrome, something that I'm diagnosed with, is that I tend to think too seriously on anything sounding mean that is supposed to be funny, more broadly, I'm thinking unrealistically. I actually do participate in the fandom a bit, as a matter of fact, I am part of an upcoming fanfic from a fan with asperger's where I've created an OC called Emerald Wishes, which is basically me as a pony. I'm also currently working on a private screenplay for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic The Movie that after college, I plan to get consent from Hasbro to make, but only after I make a successful animated feature film, done in Flash, nonetheless. I keep on wondering if Disney should distribute it. There is a fan movie called Journey to the Spark but its not official. I've got to get back to studying. Dad wants me to anyway. In the meantime check out my Youtube channel here: http://www.youtube.c...ternatekennesaw . It features film reviews and several MLP episode reviews.

Oh, and another thing about me. Because of my autism, I sometimes think that specific bad situations, such as the ending to A Canterlot Wedding Part 1, are worse than they actually are, when in actuality, they're more in line with what's right in life, meaning that if someone has loved you and looked after you for so long, like my parents, then no matter what the bad mistakes that you make are, then they would never leave you because they really want you to improve and learn from your mistakes. Sorry about the run on sentence, but this attitude may be a little common with not only Twilight Sparkle, but also other people around me in life as well. If I was writing a letter to Princess Celestia, then the previous words that I wrote down would be included directly in that letter.

Well, for first, welcome to the forums! :) Second,what most said here, at least try not to take everything so serious. And third, here's a tip. I don't have Asperger's Syndrome (I'm sorry that you have to live with that :( ), but if it's in your nature, don't worry about it. Trust me. Most of us, if you actually confronted seriously, would tell you it's a joke, and would proably agree with all the things you said, myself included. But, if you can't help but think take it too seriously, can you at least try to discover whether it's a joke or not, before...erm....forgive the word, "attacking" the fandom's thoughts? I mean...it would be better for you to not work yourself up for something you can try figuring out. Suppose you can find out that we were actually serious, then yes, you could totally ebate it. But if it's a joke, at least try to find out if it's like a joke or not. Because most of what you mentioned is. Yes, there are theories that would be part of the "head-canon" each of us possess, but we all know it's especulation. Neither of us truly knows something. If however for example, you just don't like it, then let it be. Avoid some things like Celestia being a troll, or the "dark side" of Pinkie.

Besides, a lot of it is material for fanfictions. You wouldn't believe how many of it is. But in the end, we all jsut like the show. Maybe not personalities within them, but we sill love the show for what it is. Besides, it wouldn't be quite right to generalize the whole thing, okay? :mellow:

Sorry if this seems somewhat aggressive...I didn't quite know how to write this. :blush:

Well, for first, welcome to the forums! :) Second,what most said here, at least try not to take everything so serious. And third, here's a tip. I don't have Asperger's Syndrome (I'm sorry that you have to live with that :( ), but if it's in your nature, don't worry about it. Trust me. Most of us, if you actually confronted seriously, would tell you it's a joke, and would proably agree with all the things you said, myself included. But, if you can't help but think take it too seriously, can you at least try to discover whether it's a joke or not, before...erm....forgive the word, "attacking" the fandom's thoughts? I mean...it would be better for you to not work yourself up for something you can try figuring out. Suppose you can find out that we were actually serious, then yes, you could totally ebate it. But if it's a joke, at least try to find out if it's like a joke or not. Because most of what you mentioned is. Yes, there are theories that would be part of the "head-canon" each of us possess, but we all know it's especulation. Neither of us truly knows something. If however for example, you just don't like it, then let it be. Avoid some things like Celestia being a troll, or the "dark side" of Pinkie.

Besides, a lot of it is material for fanfictions. You wouldn't believe how many of it is. But in the end, we all jsut like the show. Maybe not personalities within them, but we sill love the show for what it is. Besides, it wouldn't be quite right to generalize the whole thing, okay? :mellow:

Sorry if this seems somewhat aggressive...I didn't quite know how to write this. :blush:

No, it doesn't seem so aggressive at all. I'm learning all about that stuff. Besides, I'm working on fanfics featuring my OC Emerald Wishes, and I've also made a video for Halloween (Nightmare Night in Equestria) here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/36386-top-10-moments-that-scared-me-as-a-kid/ It would be good for you to take a look at it, because even I make jokes in that sort of environment. I actually love some of the fanfics people write, which inspire me to write my own.

No, it doesn't seem so aggressive at all. I'm learning all about that stuff. Besides, I'm working on fanfics featuring my OC Emerald Wishes, and I've also made a video for Halloween (Nightmare Night in Equestria) here: http://mlpforums.com...ed-me-as-a-kid/ It would be good for you to take a look at it, because even I make jokes in that sort of environment. I actually love some of the fanfics people write, which inspire me to write my own.

Nice! Just take your time learning. Something you probably realized about this fandom is, that we're BIG. B) And I'll watch the thing later, my friend! :)

Welcome! and for your first lesson: Don't take the fandom too seriously. The fandom is a strange, yet wondrous place. people tend to horse around allot and well, every fandom tends to exaggerate a little (some more than others) But that's part of the fun! :D

letting your imagination go wild.