Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Daria

TailsIsNotAlone

I never had cable TV, so I couldn't watch this show when it was on (1997-2002). I only heard of it a few years ago and got so interested I had to buy the DVD set. So that's how I discovered one of the best cartoons ever. The writing was razor-sharp, I loved almost every character, and it was cool how it went against the grain by having very little action take place. It was a lot like King of the Hill in that way (another great cartoon).

Did you guys watch it? :D

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 3

I loved that show! My parents hated it, and hated the fact that I loved it, but it was brilliant. Maybe they didn't like it because they recognized her from Beavis and Butthead. Probably, because I loved that too and they hated it. There wasn't much on MTV that I cared about besides those two shows.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I like how haters are repulsed by the show because Daria was a character from Beavis and Butthead. Daria is the complete opposite. B&B used stupid humor, Daria uses kind of a sitcom humor style.

It's a great show, but I've only seen a couple of episodes. But man, it defines high school really accurately. Probably too "clichy" at times but hey, it's still very entertaining to watch.

• Brohoof 1

I saw the show at first when i was like 7 years old, when it came on i just turned the TV off mainly cos i thought it was boring, bt that was only because i couldn't understand it. I got into it recently and love the show now, it's very clever.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I was thinking of making a thread for this, but figured I would search to make sure one didn't already exist!

I have no idea how I came across this show. I wish I could remember. I think something on the internet led me to it. Anyway, watched a few episodes, and I was hooked! I now own the series. It was so awesome, and Daria is very quotable. I think I would have better enjoyed high school if I had this show with me. I feel that I relate to Daria a lot.

"I guess because you gotta give people a chance, otherwise there's no point to the whole being human routine."

-Daria Morgendorffer

• Brohoof 1

I actually saw Daria before Beavis and Butthead, so seeing her there was actually a surprise for me. But still it was a great show, I thought Daria's view on people in general was hilarious

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's worth mentioning that Daria was another show I found out about only through Youtube. There used to be a few episodes on there (all gone now) and because of them I bought the whole series on DVD! Best $30 I ever spent, and it's cheaper now.

The really funny thing for me is that I identify so much with Daria and her views, yet my favorite character on the show is her sister Quinn. Remember how different they were? Like polar opposites. But in the end, they were two sides of the same coin.

q15_zpsc5a1eacc.png

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say Quinn is my favorite character EVER. (Even more than any of the ponies.) I love her. I hang on her every word. I even write about her. xD

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8303136/1/Almost-Like-Depth

(Named after Daria's famous words to Quinn: "Sometimes your shallowness is so thorough, it's almost like depth."

Quinn's reply? "Thanks!")

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

Oh yeah, the Daria box set isn't very expensive, and it comes with all five seasons and the two movies. There are also lots of place to watch online, if you want to give a few episodes a test before purchasing. I don't think Daria is for everyone, but I think that a lot of people who were outcasts and who also enjoy snarky humor might like it.

• 2 years later...

I coincidentally found out about this show a few days after I started high school. xP

It's a very clever show. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's better than Beavis and Butthead. Like the OP said, there's something to love about almost every character. Even Kevin and Brittany are likable, and they're supposed to be the stereotypical high school couple (and you know how those can be). It's such an awesome and hilarious show. I just wish I was ALIVE when it was still airing, lol.

Edit: Should've been more clear about the Beavis and Butthead part. I do like Beavis and Butthead, but I like Daria more in comparison. Both shows are funny, just in their different ways.

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 3

Gosh, I freaking love Daria, if I had to pick up a character that is totally like me I wouldn't hesitate in choosing Daria. Her quotes, the way she sees the world, her sarcasm, intellect... I feel SO identified with her.