Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv My opinion on fan theories of cartoons

Pony Of The Month

WARNING: THE CONTENTS OF THIS THREAD MAY DISTURB YOU

There are theories online about the "truth" of the universes of cartoon characters.

There's the Rugrats one that states that the Rugrats are figments of Angelica's imagination: 

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rugrats_Theory

And the Ed Edd and Eddy one which says that the characters are living in purgatory: 

http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2075462/Ed/

The first thing I want to say is that people like to point out the obvious fact that these theories are false. I'm pretty sure that the authors of these theories never intended on fooling anyone. (although there are some people who really were fooled.) So please don't comment saying that these theories are fake. Everyone already knows, and the authors never intended on fooling you. They just wanted to put a disturbing twist on their favorite cartoons.

The next thing I have to point out is the difference between these two theories. The Ed Edd and Eddy one had a LOT more thought put into it than the Rugrats one. There are too many inconsistencies in the Rugrats one, like many have pointed out that Angelica is not in every episode. And it seems there was very little research done on mental disorders and drug addiction. In my opinion the Ed Edd and Eddy one is by far superior and makes more sense. 

But the thing I really wanted to talk about is how unimaginative a lot of these cartoon theories are. I like the Ed Edd and Eddy, and although I'm not a fan of the Rugrats one, it's still an interesting idea. My problem is that every other theory is a different variation on either the characters being dead, or some characters being figments of another character's imagination. For example, there is an MLP one, which is pretty much the same as the Rugrats one, where everything is a figment of Pinkie Pie's imagination. And some of them are really unimaginative. For example there is one that simply states that Calvin is scizophrenic, and Hobbes is a figment of his imagination. That's it. There are no extra details, I just told the entire theory in one sentence. Anyone could have thought of that. It's not only unimaginative, but it completely misses the point of the Calvin And Hobbes comics. 

If you know of any good imaginative theories, or theories of your own, please comment. 

• Brohoof 1

I still find these fan theories hilariously outlandish, I mean seriously. Especially the part where Angelica dying of drug overdose led to All Grown Up getting cancelled? Dil dying of a brain hemorrage after getting hit by Angelica? Who the fuck comes up with that stuff?

Ya know though, Angelica dying doesn't actually sound like a bad idea....

• Brohoof 1

Good thread.

I will unabashedly steal from your Angelica thing and put forth my own theory: the Mane 6 are all figments of Pinkie Pie's imagination! Madame LeFlour and her ilk are Pinkie's REAL friends. They all sit around Pinkie's table playing with pony toys, and what they come up with is the show.

31776786.jpg

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 4

Although it might be disturbing, these interpretations are very interesting... there are thousands of them on the web, each with their different tweaks and changes. My favorite would be the spongebob theory, that he may have been a result of nuclear experiments, because apparently, "Bikini Bottom" is a reference to an old testing area for nuclear weapons, called Bikini Atoll, where several nuclear bombs were tested and dropped into the sea. They all used to be normal sea creatures that is until the nuclear bombs were dropped, leading to deformations like talking squids and sponges, and giant pineapples growing underwater. It can be seen that sometimes these images of explosions at Bikini Atoll were used (like the Exploding Pie episode, when spongebob accidentally drops it on Squidward) and sometimes when the city is introduced, it looks like it's in a crater... I don't know, but that's my favorite one so far :P

Edited by Sarajevo
  • Brohoof 4

What if, we're all just living inside the fantasy of an autistic child? Yeah, pass the good stuff around.

I don't mind those theories, but they could of at least out a bit more effort on their execution. Seriously, just gonna steal the basic explanation for St. Elsewhere, tweak it and call it done? that's weak.