Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Steampunk Story Pitch

Archi the Atmomancer

Hi all,

I recently came up with an idea for a Steampunk/Alternate History-esque story and wanted to run it by some people to see if I'm on the right track here.

Synopsis and backstory are in the spoiler below:

So, in 1613 John Saris arrives in Japan (as in real life) and sets up a trading post. Unlike in the real world, after his first few shipments John Saris' imported goods become incredibly popular with the British, with goods like rice, sushi ingredients, cultural and religious artifacts, and even weapons and armour in high demand throughout the country. Trade continues between the two countries, leading to Britain focusing less on India for trade and more on Japan; this results in the Amboyna massacre never occurring (the event that caused Anglo-Japanese trade to cease.)

Resistance to foreign ideas decreases in Japan, and laws forcing the expulsion of foreigners are never written as both countries feel the influence of the other through economy and immigration. Eventually, Japan and England become allies in a military pact called the "Oriental Union". Trade flourishes, and both English and Japanese are content.

That is, until the Industrial Revolution occurs: England shares its technological advances with its ally freely, resulting in the Japanese receiving and adapting steam-based technology far before they should do in reality. The Japanese unlock their technological aptitude before their time, and by 1780 succeed Britain as economic and technological capital of the world. Advanced steam machines such as airships and automatons are created by Japan's ingenuity and adaptability as steam power reaches its full potential.

Which leads us to the present day of 1810. England and Japan remain close allies, but resentment grows between the two countries. Nobles and businessmen plot in their manors to restore Britain to its former glories as Japan powers ahead of them. In the shadows, plans are made and destroyed, and eventually both major powers will be dragged into a conflict with an unforeseeable end. Will England triumph over its old ally? Will Japan's superior technology win the day? Or will both countries reconcile, embracing the future hand in hand? Only time will tell...

So, any good? I'd love any feedback you can give me on general outline and I can provide with more details regarding character and plot if you wish, just say so.