Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Budding Artist

CharmingKnight

Hi everypony,

So I'm looking into getting into drawing fan art for MLP and I was thinking about getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Splash-Tablet-CTL471/dp/B0089VGPII/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y would this be a good beginner's choice?  Also, I'm completely new to art when it comes to terminology and all so any tips and tricks on learning more would be most helpful!

/)

I actually ordered the Bamboo Pen and Touch yesterday, and its due to arrive on saturday. Im not sure but i think its a newer version of what you linked. Its a good starter tablet definately, and mine cost 80 EUROS on amazon.

• Brohoof 2

Tablets are way overrated. I've used mine like twice, and I can do art just fine.

I would suggest only getting a tablet if you know your software. It's pointless to just get one when you don't, you'll probably rage quit.

• Brohoof 1

Tablets are most certainly not overrated, although it's true a tablet does neither make you a better artist nor changes the way the program you use work. It also depends on what you're planning to do, lots of things are better with a precise mouse (vectors, image manipulation...), but for actual digital drawing I think it's crucial. Though, you do need to know how your software and digital drawing in general works to create anything but pixelstew.

However, what I would recommend is starting by drawing pencil on paper; you can always scan (or photograph) and use them as drafts, but the basics (like, for example, getting the proportions right) are fundamental for everything you might do later, and at least I find it easier to learn that way.

If you think you're already confident enough with that to take the next step, I would go ahead and get the tablet, from everything I heard you can't really go wrong with wacom tablets.

Edited by LeoPrism
  • Brohoof 1

Well, my big reason for wanting to go with a tablet is because I really can't do drawing of any kind with a mouse, I've tried perhaps I just need practice, but I figured a tablet would be easier.

Well the mouse, like the tablet, is just a tool. Yes no doubt the mouse is more difficult to control than the tablet, but if you're having trouble with using a mouse to draw, chances are a tablet won't help much. What's important is practicing enough to get the 'muscle memory' so to speak. I would suggest sticking with the mouse for a while and practicing with that. Your mouse drawing doesn't need to be perfect, but as long as it looks presentable enough (proportions are generally correct, lines are clean, etc), only then might you consider moving on to a tablet. It makes the learning curve much much easier.

BTW that tablet is great. You can't go wrong with a Wacom Bamboo :P

• Brohoof 2

ok kids just starting out with tablets, lol

your #1 rule is gonna be DON'T RAGE QUIT after 2 days

it takes a WHILE to get used to a tablet, think 3weeks --month

once you get the hang of it, you'll love it

Rule #2...don't be dumb and draw at 100% Opacity (brush strength)

your gonna want to sketch a LOT until you get the hang of things

so start with 20%-29% brush strength, that way the more you go over those original sketch lines, the darker it'll be

i like to start off looking like this for example

post-10537-0-12551600-1360512357_thumb.jpg

Rule #3 find a good Program to use

chances are you'll stick to what you get with your tablet (that or Sai or Gimp)

I've been using Photoshop 7 for 9+years

once you find the program that you want, than go youtube the hell outta it for pointers and tricks

• Brohoof 3

I got that exact tablet on Black Friday because I wanted to get into drawing. I drew with a mouse for about a month before I decided I wanted a tablet. Like other people said, using a tablet won't make your skills better. Tablets just help a ton with making smooth lines. You can tell my earlier drawings were with a mouse since the lines are pretty jagged. SAI has a pretty nice built-in stabilizer that works great with this tablet. One thing to note, this tablet doesn't have any programmable buttons on the tablet itself. It has two of them on the pen. This makes it kind of a hassle to switch tools, but it's still good enough to get by. I have one programmed as an eyedropper and the other as the hand tool. Hope this helps!