Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Derpy?

Gripp540

I have seen so many people with her as an avatar. Or even read fan-fic that seemed to be great except they made her "part of the group." Even though I have watched all the episodes, I still don't even remember which ones she is even remotely in. I do not understand why so many people like this character., please explain. lol

I just find her unique and cute. Though the way she was portrayed in "The Last Roundup" was *in my opinion* a bit overdone, I liked it.

The work that I've seen from the fandom about Derpy/Ditzy just help my cause *one of these works being the song Autumn by JackleApp*. 

The main reason why she caught on so much with the fans is because of her "derpy" eyes for that small time frame during the first episode.

Overall, she's just a cute and silly pony.

(edited)

Well, the major reason is her being controversial. You can say she's cute. You can say she has a nice voice, but the main reason she's popular is due to the censor and how the fandom named her (Fandom naming and such is, also why ponies like Vinyl Scratch and Tavi are popular.

Edited by Mothybolt
  • Brohoof 1

Derpy was originally an animation error, and when going over the final draft, they decided to cross her eyes. She's in the very first episode of the series. Fans noticed her, and the outcry of love was so large that the studio continued to put her in episodes, as sort of a "Where's Waldo" character. This was so enjoyable to the fandom that the studio took notice, and realized that the fandom had dubbed her 'Derpy/Ditzy Doo'.

So the reason why people love her is because she's an example of Hasbro's notice of their fans. All fans love having their favorite TV show hear their cries, and Derpy is the prime example of an animation company listening to their fans.

• Brohoof 1

Its just the same thing with any popular background pony, Lyra, Vinyl Scratch etc.

Shes unique, adorable, and has something about her that fans are drawn to.

Derpy has her adorable googly eyes

Lyra got her fame from sitting like a human which is a still a popular meme to this day

Vinyl Scratch has her unique style with trademark glasses, and all the wub wub wubs tongue.png

I think these ponies are huge in the fandom because they are so popular in viral memes.

Even outside of the brony culture these characters exist, I saw them referenced a ton thru online memes and artwork even before I ever saw an episode.

Because of all this attention they get online, they are some of the first ponies people know.

When I, for example, first started watching the show, I only could name one of the Mane 6 (Pinkie Pie), but I already knew the names of a few background characters.

When I first started the show, I really grabbed onto these characters because I was still skeptical about watching a show marketed towards 6 year old girls. So I kind of saw these popular meme ponies as a beacon of hope that this would actually be an enjoyable show... and what do ya know, now I'm all sorts of addicted to the show and of course I adore Derpy, Vinyl and a ton of other minor characters because without them, I might not have had the interest to keep delving into the series.

It obviously must bug you that she is different and popular.  You must have zero tolerance for people with some kind of disability.  Can someone please show me how to block someone?  I really don't want to read stuff from some backwards idiot.

Thanks guys! I think baby ponies of any type are cute, but I dunno... she just annoys me. And the addition of her in some fanfic feels so  forced. But, I have seen a pony in the background and liked her cutie mark and looked her up too before, so I can understand that much.

It obviously must bug you that she is different and popular.  You must have zero tolerance for people with some kind of disability.  Can someone please show me how to block someone?  I really don't want to read stuff from some backwards idiot.

Say hi to Canby on Conclusions for me.

The OP was asking a legitimate question. She doesn't know why Derpy is so popular, as she herself doesn't get it. She's asking for clarification, she's not bashing Derpy. She's not a 'backwards idiot', as you so nonsensically titled her, she's a new poster to our forums and you're being bothersome and judgmental.

• Brohoof 2

Say hi to Canby on Conclusions for me.

The OP was asking a legitimate question. She doesn't know why Derpy is so popular, as she herself doesn't get it. She's asking for clarification, she's not bashing Derpy. She's not a 'backwards idiot', as you so nonsensically titled her, she's a new poster to our forums and you're being bothersome and judgmental.

Sorry if I misunderstood that.  It sounded like she was asking "Why is she so popular?" as if Derpy didn't have a reason to be popular.  I'm just in a bad mood.

• Brohoof 1

Alot including myself of people like Derpy because she is seen as different due to her wall eyes and clumsy, child like nature. This makes her a very relatable character to a lot of people who are seen as different due to a disability or perhaps some other reason and many of them recognize the potential Derpy has to be used in a way to reach out to people who are seen as different. The Derpy controversy really saddened me because Derpy could have been a great teaching moment about how it is okay to be different and how you shouldn't jump to conclusions after all we need to remember that it hasn't been confirmed one way or another that Derpy is mentally challenged. My own personal head cannon is that she is not mentally challenged but is falsely perceived as being mentally challenged.

Well Derpy is popular for being somewhat of an avatar for the bronies in the show. She is adorable and like any popular character. She will have fan made content to express ideas and many other things around the character. Personally I really enjoy her the most with her travels with Doctor Whooves and fan content of that has not dissapoint.

Sorry if I misunderstood that.  It sounded like she was asking "Why is she so popular?" as if Derpy didn't have a reason to be popular.  I'm just in a bad mood.

It's all right. And I'm sorry if I come across as rude. It's largely due to my internet voice and short patience. I've been fighting with some particularly idiotic people all day, and I suppose I'm in a bit of a foul mood myself.

joseph-ducreux-meme-generator-my-sincere

Because she's just oh so adowwable. :wub:

In literally every way and everything she does. :wub:

I mean, it really depends on the person, cause some, like me, just love her oh so much, and others, usually AJ fans, will completely hate her.

For me, its her personality that was given to her (the one where she's just a normal pony who happens to be a klutz a majority of the time.). I cannot get enough of it. :wub:

Her being cross-eyed also helps a little as I find it rather cute.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I mean, it really depends on the person, cause some, like me, just love her oh so much, and others, usually AJ fans, will completely hate her.

Not all of us, I am one of the most outspoken AJ fans on here and I have said it many times and I will say it again Derpy is best background pony. Yes Applejack has gotten upstaged in the past and I would have preferred Derpy to get her own episode but I don't blame that at all on Derpy how could I be mad at that adorable muffin loving mail mare?

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

In most (not all) fan-made content she's pretty bad.

I enjoy seeing her on the show though. It's really nice that the staff takes the time to say "hey guys, we know you're watching, here's a little something for you". That's the main appeal of Derpy IMO, she turns us from 'freaks watching a little girl's show' to 'a valued part of the audience'.

In fanon, that message gets turned into 'hurr durr aren't we bronies great', no matter how well the character and fic are written.

Edited by Righteous Fury

I have seen so many people with her as an avatar. Or even read fan-fic that seemed to be great except they made her "part of the group." Even though I have watched all the episodes, I still don't even remember which ones she is even remotely in. I do not understand why so many people like this character., please explain. lol

Disregard my rudeness from my last post.  I misunderstood and thought you were implying that Derpy didn't have any reason to be popular.  If you haven't watched the episode The Last Roundup, go watch it and find out why we love our clumsy Derpy.

Derpy was spotted in the character as one with crossed eyes, caused by an overlooked animation error. Rather than ignoring it, the brony fandom (which was much smaller at the time) began to create a lot of work about her, from fanfiction to videos to fanart. When the bronies spilled outside of 4Chan, her popularity boomed because there was so much work appreciating her: Compared to the rest of the ponies, she looked different because of her wall eyes, and she was beloved partially for this. Lauren Faust caught wind of it and was able to have the animators alter one of the background ponies to one with crossed eyes intentionally before it aired, replacing Ditzy Doo in the process.

Basically, the brony community was able to create a canon character, and these Easter Egg appearances (plus her appearance in The Last Roundup) created a charm that made her funny and adorable. Derpy is the gateway to show the close relationship DHX has with the brony community, and it's extremely noticeable. Plus, the creativity in the community continues to promote her with the cute, aloof, clumsy, happy-go-lucky, caring interpretation with fanon ideas on the side (being a mailmare and/or a loving mother with a unicorn filly named Dinky). The more art promoting her, the more noticeable she becomes. And the more noticeable she becomes, the more she stands out and the more likeable she becomes.

In fanon, that message gets turned into 'hurr durr aren't we bronies great', no matter how well the character and fic are written.

I don't know what fics you have been reading but none of the ones I have read are like that, don't get me wrong I am sure there are some poorly written fanfics about Derpy out there but I haven't seen all that much self insert or wish fulfillment with Derpy.

I don't know what fics you have been reading but none of the ones I have read are like that, don't get me wrong I am sure there are some poorly written fanfics about Derpy out there but I haven't seen all that much self insert or wish fulfillment with Derpy.

It's not self-insert exactly. It's missing the main reason Derpy's so popular. And usually there's no reason to include the character (I'm looking at you, Double Rainboom). She's not a bad character, but she's overused. She is the Boba Fett of MLP.

It's not self-insert exactly. It's missing the main reason Derpy's so popular. And usually there's no reason to include the character (I'm looking at you, Double Rainboom). She's not a bad character, but she's overused. She is the Boba Fett of MLP.

VERY OT: I actually really like Boba Fett. To borrow the phrase, he's a total BAMF.

Ahem. Moving on.

I agree that most fanfics don't use Derpy to their advantage, they just sort of throw her into the Mane Six with no logical reasoning besides "she's Derpy". And that misses the essence of Derpy.

I love reading fanfics and finding Derpy in the descriptions though. It's the same way I felt about seeing her inside the snowglobe in A Friend In Deed.

• Brohoof 1

I am an idiot because I don't like a character? Good Lord. You really read into things too much and have absolutely no idea how I feel about someone with a disability or someone who is different. 

Disregard my rudeness from my last post.  I misunderstood and thought you were implying that Derpy didn't have any reason to be popular.  If you haven't watched the episode The Last Roundup, go watch it and find out why we love our clumsy Derpy.

Sorry, didn't see this before I responded. I didn't mean to be rude before. I will watch that one again later. It's now lunch time, so we take a break from ponies for a while.

Derpy is seen by many fans a type of mascot of Mlp. Like when people saw the 'speechless' Bumblebee from transformers, fans went crazy for him. It's a 'either you hate or like' situation I guess.

Either that or Derpy is SO adorable!

filly_derpy_vector_by_chrisjar5719-d5i9k

I mean look at her. AWW!

• Brohoof 1