Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Prehistory

tigris115

Did you ever wonder what like in Equestria was like before Friendship is Magic, before the Mane 6 were born, before Celestia and Luna, even before ponykind itself? Here are some basic questions.

Was evolution taking place?

What sort of animals inhabited the ancient world?

Were there dinosaurs?

How did ponies evolve?

I came up with the names for the periods in the Age of Reptiles or the Marezoic Era

Trotassic

Jackassic

Coltaceous

that's actually a pretty interesting question.

My original head canon was Alicorns were like Greek gods that just created everything for fun, but now that has has been seemingly disproved, it leaves the door wide open.

Maybe some dragons...? I don't know, I suck at thinking.

Also, nice puns.

• Brohoof 1

I remember positing a theory a long time ago that ponies evolved from the eohippi that stayed in the forests instead of moving to the plains, like normal horses did in their evolutionary tracks. Because of the hostile nature of their environment, the ones that survived were the small ones that could easily hide from predators in the underbrush (They are little ponies after all). The original ponies were likely of the earth variety; magic and wings might have just been later mutations that proved advantageous, or perhaps reflect interbreeding with other species or some sort of other genetic meddling (I'm not saying it was aliens, but...).

Oo0o I love this! I was gonna revolve around something like this for my amateur blog. I think that evolution took place, but not like the biological standards of real life (of course lmao). I would elaborate what I mean by that but ill save it for blogging. But what a stimulating post! As a nerd, I'm getting really giddy over thinking about this lol thanks B)

I remember positing a theory a long time ago that ponies evolved from the eohippi that stayed in the forests instead of moving to the plains, like normal horses did in their evolutionary tracks. Because of the hostile nature of their environment, the ones that survived were the small ones that could easily hide from predators in the underbrush (They are little ponies after all). The original ponies were likely of the earth variety; magic and wings might have just been later mutations that proved advantageous, or perhaps reflect interbreeding with other species or some sort of other genetic meddling (I'm not saying it was aliens, but...).

It was aliens...imnotsayingitwasaliensb.jpg

lmao I love that meme. And your theory sounds cool ^.^ I honestly though I was the only one why thought about this stuff :S

Silly thought lol

My view is that ponies could not have naturally evolved. I mean, there would be no evolutionary advantages for a rainbow mane, or a red mane. In fact, they would be disadvantages because the ponies would be more visible to predators. Similarly, correct me if I'm wrong, if their genetics were the same, occasionally you'd get a natural alicorn. That doesn't happen, so I suspect some basic differences in heredity.

My explanation: Magic.

Did you ever wonder what like in Equestria was like before Friendship is Magic, before the Mane 6 were born, before Celestia and Luna, even before ponykind itself? Here are some basic questions.

Was evolution taking place?

What sort of animals inhabited the ancient world?

Were there dinosaurs?

How did ponies evolve?

I came up with the names for the periods in the Age of Reptiles or the Marezoic Era

Trotassic

Jackassic

Coltaceous

That's a good question.

Frankly, I don't like thinking about that time period. I assume it was a scary time, full of ponies who didn't look quite right, sound right, and may have been altogether evil.

mylittleponytales02.jpg

*shudder*

• Brohoof 2

I had a thought the other day that what if Equestria was earth and these cute ponies actually conquered us and took aspects of our culture into their own (houses, clothing) but i certainly hope that is not the case. :D

Evolution would a pretty cool thing to explore in mlp, epsecially since dragons still exist and aren't far from dinosaurs. Maybe ponies will evolve into centaurs in the future.  Are their sea ponies out there? The list goes on.

There are indications that the entire pony civilization is actually a terraforming project, and due to some cataclysm the ponies no longer know this.

The ponies have to directly control their environment. 'Wild' weather is scary, and dangerous to them. They can only eat food grown by them, and they cannot eat 'wild' plants. The Day/Night cycle appears to be under manual control.

Many of the monsters appear to have a completely different metabolism: Dragons, Diamond Dogs, Basiliks, etc. eat gemstones (apparently primarily emeralds, rubies, aquamarines, and sapphires which are varieties of Corundum and Beryl) Therefore their metabolism can actually run off of aluminum oxides and aluminum silicates.

So one theory is that the ponies are not actually natural to this environment. Dragons, etc. are the native lifeforms, and the ponies and related creatures were transplanted to that world at some point.

Jackassic

Ya that would have been something to see. You think Flutterrage was bad now... I'd hate to be the pony that cut in line back then.

I think they evolved from G1 just fine