Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Airing of FiM in the UK

BlueStreak99

Whilst watching new episodes and such as soon as they're released on YouTube sounds alright, recently I've been questioning why we in the UK don't really get an official way of watching episodes. I took the liberty of sending an e-mail to Boomerang (the station that is supposed to carry FiM here) and received a surprising response.

So...now what? Will we forever be left to get our Pony through YouTube, or will a heroic channel pick up the license? Leave any thoughts below...

Edited by BlueStreak99
  • Brohoof 3

Well, I can't really comment all that much since I rarely watch My Little Pony on the television. I actually watch most of the episodes online myself, even though I live in the United States. It's mostly because I can't really watch it that much on television since I'm busy when it's airing, even when the new episodes were coming out for Season Three.

But I do think it would be nice if you folks in the United Kingdom could get some official pony airings going on, but I guess it depends on if somepony will pick up the license.

Only time will tell.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I can't really comment all that much since I rarely watch My Little Pony on the television. I actually watch most of the episodes online myself, even though I live in the United States. It's mostly because I can't really watch it that much on television since I'm busy when it's airing, even when the new episodes were coming out for Season Three.

But I do think it would be nice if you folks in the United Kingdom could get some official pony airings going on, but I guess it depends on if somepony will pick up the license.

Only time will tell.

The thing is that they had the licence for at least 2 years prior to this and aired it for around 3 months, before I'd began watching FiM. It's not really a big deal because like you said I've watched all the episodes online, just something that bothered me I guess

The thing is that they had the licence for at least 2 years prior to this and aired it for around 3 months, before I'd began watching FiM. It's not really a big deal because like you said I've watched all the episodes online, just something that bothered me I guess

Well, I understand where you're coming from regardless. You just get that "official" feeling of having the show airing in your country. I know there's a few games that I feel the same way about, such as Monster Hunter 3 Portable. Wish they had released that here...

Regardless, that's a bit off topic. But that's how I can compare the feeling, since My Little Pony, of course, does air in the United States and I don't really know what it's like to live in a country without it airing on television.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I understand where you're coming from regardless. You just get that "official" feeling of having the show airing in your country. I know there's a few games that I feel the same way about, such as Monster Hunter 3 Portable. Wish they had released that here...

Regardless, that's a bit off topic. But that's how I can compare the feeling, since My Little Pony, of course, does air in the United States and I don't really know what it's like to live in a country without it airing on television.

In a way I will say it is odd considering that all the merchandise and everything is still sold by the bucketload here, and we have been 'proven' as a reliable source of income for various UK based online culture stores. But neverless I'm starting to digress here.

It probably just the feeling of authenticity when watching a show on a television, because I do recall a while back when a friend of mine hooked up his laptop to a tv via HDMI cable and we watched Season 2 in its entirety.

• Brohoof 1

In a way I will say it is odd considering that all the merchandise and everything is still sold by the bucketload here, and we have been 'proven' as a reliable source of income for various UK based online culture stores. But neverless I'm starting to digress here.

It probably just the feeling of authenticity when watching a show on a television, because I do recall a while back when a friend of mine hooked up his laptop to a tv via HDMI cable and we watched Season 2 in its entirety.

Well, first of all, watching Season 2 in HD on a television sounds wicked awesome.

Second, yes, that does seem really strange to me. They know that the UK is a market, so why not tap it? Heck, you guys even have get-togethers and conventions and everything over there. I dunno. For all we know, a station could be picking up the license as we speak. I think this is one of those things you've got to follow or perhaps right to stations and suggest it as a possible business action.

(edited)

Well, first of all, watching Season 2 in HD on a television sounds wicked awesome.

Second, yes, that does seem really strange to me. They know that the UK is a market, so why not tap it? Heck, you guys even have get-togethers and conventions and everything over there. I dunno. For all we know, a station could be picking up the license as we speak. I think this is one of those things you've got to follow or perhaps right to stations and suggest it as a possible business action.

I'll be keeping in touch with this matter, no doubt...and can I just say for my first discussion on the forum you've made it incredibly pleasant, thank you.

Edited by BlueStreak99
  • Brohoof 1

I'll be keeping in touch with this matter, no doubt...and can I just say for my first discussion on the forum you've made it incredibly pleasant, thank you biggrin.png

Sounds awesome, my friend! And it's no problem at all! You know, your avatar actually reminds me of another topic you might be interested in:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/57279-sonic-rainbow-dash-friends-rivals-teamwork/?hl=rainbow+dash+sonic#entry1372728

A little topic, at the moment, and probably not going to get anymore posts, but kind of funny that I should run into a user with that avatar so soon!

I do hope that a station does pick up the license at some point, though. Hate to see my Bronies over in the UK going on without some official pony for an extended period of time!

sigh, i would love to have mlp on the tv here in the uk :c My  dad makes fun of me for watching it and i cant convince him to watch it on youtube.

So you're thinking that perhaps sitting him down in front of a television while it's airing will convince him to watch it? Or is it one of those things where you want to leave it on the television and then leave the room, seeing if he'll walk by and see it and then maybe sit down and watch it for a bit?

Just curious as to why it airing on television would convince him if he refuses to watch it on Youtube.

So you're thinking that perhaps sitting him down in front of a television while it's airing will convince him to watch it? Or is it one of those things where you want to leave it on the television and then leave the room, seeing if he'll walk by and see it and then maybe sit down and watch it for a bit?

Just curious as to why it airing on television would convince him if he refuses to watch it on Youtube.

well my dad has quite bad vision and he says 'it hurts his eyes watching it on a small screen'. I dont know if he is being serious or maybe he just doesn't believe in youtube :P

• Brohoof 1

well my dad has quite bad vision and he says 'it hurts his eyes watching it on a small screen'. I dont know if he is being serious or maybe he just doesn't believe in youtube tongue.png

Ah, well I understand that. I have good vision myself, but I know a lot of older people in my family have vision problems as well.

Have you tried maybe hooking up your computer or whatever to a television via a cord and trying to get him to watch it that way? Unless you don't have the equipment to do that, then I'm stumped! Or maybe you could just buy a really, really, big monitor!

*Smiles widely*

• Brohoof 1

Ah, well I understand that. I have good vision myself, but I know a lot of older people in my family have vision problems as well.

Have you tried maybe hooking up your computer or whatever to a television via a cord and trying to get him to watch it that way? Unless you don't have the equipment to do that, then I'm stumped! Or maybe you could just buy a really, really, big monitor!

*Smiles widely*

Well i can always try and get a via cord thingy or giant monitor :3 i might just force him to watch it on youtube as he may just be making excuses 

• Brohoof 1

Well i can always try and get a via cord thingy or giant monitor :3 i might just force him to watch it on youtube as he may just be making excuses 

Force him? Great idea, just hog tie him and put him in front of the monitor, cackling evilly the whole time!

Or, you know, you could just ask nicely like Fluttershy or something. Your choice.

But you may be right, he might be making excuses, and probably is, but it's one of those situations where someone puts up resistance to something because they don't want to give it a chance. But I'm sure you'll be able to break him down!

• Brohoof 1

Force him? Great idea, just hog tie him and put him in front of the monitor, cackling evilly the whole time!

Or, you know, you could just ask nicely like Fluttershy or something. Your choice.

But you may be right, he might be making excuses, and probably is, but it's one of those situations where someone puts up resistance to something because they don't want to give it a chance. But I'm sure you'll be able to break him down!

muahahahahahahahah i will get the rope :3  Umm... you know if thats okay with him... i wouldn't want to upset him... that would be awful

• Brohoof 1

When MLP;FIM aired on boomerang I was like "meh" because I wasn't a brony. Once I became a brony last July I remembered. "Don't Boomerang air this show?" But by then, they didn't. And now I'm like "GODDAMMIT BOOMERANG!"

• Brohoof 1

This makes me sad :(. I really hope that one day boomerang will get the rights to air the show here in the UK and Ireland. Ow well I hope some decent fellow bronies will upload the episodes on youtube :)

This makes me sad sad.png. I really hope that one day boomerang will get the rights to air the show here in the UK and Ireland. Ow well I hope some decent fellow bronies will upload the episodes on youtube smile.png.

Actually there's a website called http://www.mlp-fim.com. It has every season and episode in glorious 720p. SO you can just get your daily fix there.

buuuut there all blocked.

Edited by garrus vakarian
  • Brohoof 1

Actually there's a website called http://www.mlp-fim.com. It has every season and episode in glorious 720p. SO you can just get your daily fix there.

buuuut there all blocked.

Ha, that really sucks. If NightOwl was sad, you just made him even sadder...

Oh well, surely a station will pick up the license eventually. If they don't, they're really missing out, at least in my opinion.

I can kinda see way, Boomerang is owned by a competing Network so it a plane destined to fall though eventually. Aside from the re-runs of old shows I think Hasbro is trying to keep all their stuff mainly on The Hub.

I can kinda see way, Boomerang is owned by a competing Network so it a plane destined to fall though eventually. Aside from the re-runs of old shows I think Hasbro is trying to keep all their stuff mainly on The Hub.

Except for the fact that The Hub has no intention of releasing a channel in the UK...so they can't compete in a battle that they're not even a part of

• Brohoof 1

Except for the fact that The Hub has no intention of releasing a channel in the UK...so they can't compete in a battle that they're not even a part of

I'm guessing that's because they intend to use use the Youtube service for selling shows to target those markets, or something. I'm sure it pays out better then channel royalties. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...