Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Carbon Maestro

(edited)

Edition: Aug 6, 2013.

img-1481636-1-SSP_zps674259e7.png

Hello to all of you at MLP Forums! Here is the MLP Forums post from the SSP Dev Team. I'm Carbon Maestro, head of the music and public relations of the Super Smash Ponies, an upcoming fighting game based off Super Smash Brothers franchise and MLP: FiM. Now for a summary:

img-1481636-2-title_zps720c276c.png

Super Smash Ponies is intended to be a video game based off the Super Smash Brothers and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic franchises. This game intends to take the elements of Smash Brothers and incorporate them with pony characters.

The creator’s intentions for the game consist of the following:

• A fast paced game for all players to enjoy
  • A completely unique feel from that of its predecessors, Brawl, Melee, or 64. Not to be a clone.
  • A game that many players can pick up and enjoy, regardless of being or not being a Brony, competitive or non-competitive
  • A game for no financial profit
  • The best pony fighting game there is

While we want to implement more competitive feel into the game, we want to regard those who also like to play the game for sole fun. We want to break the competitive barrier in a way that an inexperienced player can learn to be competitive should they actually want to win.

We here at Smash Ponies DevTeam wish you a good run with this game. When it comes out of course!

And we’ll promise not to pull off one of these:

And Current Gameplay Video of Twilight Sparkle:

Rarity Gameplay (Trailer):

As of now we have no release date for the game, yet. We do however, plan to include multiplayer compatibility along with a large soundtrack of 130+ songs, courtesy of me, and the entire SSP development team.

Twilight Sparkle's Theme: (Baschfire)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNgDCibjPc

Rarity's Theme: (Carbon Maestro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Mgp3Mna_g

And in case you're wondering, we currently have a spot open for a shading artist! The level of quality that we need is somewhat similar to this:

img-1481636-3-twily_by_dream0rdie-d5vc7q

This summer, our team will strive to make a pre-alpha version sometime later this year, but we still need animators as well! Only then, maybe we'll have a chance to get a playable version working on the PC (and possibly mac) in its alpha stages. That's all, and hopefully I don't take these words right out of my mouth, but that's what we've got going for this year!

-CM

Super Smash Ponies Musician and Public Relations

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 7

This sounds like an awesome project. I love the Super Smash Bros series (who doesn't?) and if this plays anything like it, it will be highly enjoyable. So far, the game is looking pretty good based on your videos, and I'm sure it's only going to get even better!

Good luck with this!

I really hope this project doesn't go down like Fighting is Magic.

I'm really excited to see how this project develops. It looks really fun, it looks really solid, and I'm pretty sure there will be high hopes for this game. I can't wait to see more updates. Luck with you all.

You guys better not overhype or advertise this a lot, unless your team wants to end up like Fighting is Magic.

Music themes are good enough. Not impressive, but fits.

Based on gameplay videos, your team still have a lot of stuff to do.

Giving each character a unique moveset is a real drag, so I hope you guys have the motivation to continue this.

(edited)

I really hope this project doesn't go down like Fighting is Magic.

I'm really excited to see how this project develops. It looks really fun, it looks really solid, and I'm pretty sure there will be high hopes for this game. I can't wait to see more updates. Luck with you all.

We have the necessary precautions that I can't specify, talked to a lawyer about it, and settled some legal hurdles that would otherwise hinder it. We're still nowhere near the Fighting is Magic in terms of popularity, so we're keeping as low a profile as possible before an alpha release. Thanks smile.png

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 2

This looks really legit. I'm glad you take the precautions that Fighting is Magic didnt do. It was too popular and sparked too much attention to where it got C&D from Hasbro.

I like your ideas Smash bros is among my all time favorite games. Hope you manage to keep it from the same fate as FIM.

Hey, Carbon, is there anyway I could make a track or two for the game? I would love to make music for this and I really cant wait for it to be released. I wish you lots of luck in making this, it sounds like its going to be fantastic.

Only to end up like the other MLP related fighting game?

I Love SSB and i love MLP, but i think combining them is a stupid idea. 

You need a huge roster, and i doubt that you can find any good competitors from the MLP universe. If you don't think of making clones of course. But that would be another stupid move.

Oh well, wish you luck.

This looks pretty awesome, I'd apply for the job of shading artist but I just ain't good enough (yet), and I probably can't take on that kind of commitment at the moment.

Needless to say, it's probably for the best you keep this low profile for the time being.

(edited)

Only to end up like the other MLP related fighting game?

I Love SSB and i love MLP, but i think combining them is a stupid idea. 

You need a huge roster, and i doubt that you can find any good competitors from the MLP universe. If you don't think of making clones of course. But that would be another stupid move.

Oh well, wish you luck.

21 planned characters is our ultimate goal. Of course, the first release will only have the main 6, of course. And each one is pretty much going to have their unique fighting style. Can you imagine what a Griffon fighting style would be like compared to a minotaur or pony?

Hey, Carbon, is there anyway I could make a track or two for the game? I would love to make music for this and I really cant wait for it to be released. I wish you lots of luck in making this, it sounds like its going to be fantastic.

Sorry, but we have enough musicians to complete the soundtrack (120+ songs total), and we've done over half. Plus we ask musicians to compose based off need, not by necessity. There will be orchestral, rock, pop, eurobeat, and jazz genres in the soundtrack (We actually have all of these so far).

Edited by Carbon Maestro

(edited)

I love the idea and the gameplay just looks fabulous. I can already tell who i'm maning. I shall be a hardcore Pinkie Pie mane, with Fluttershy as a secondary img-1490277-1-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

Edited by RAInbowShy1001

I am very impressed, however I do see one problem...

...I wonder how Hasbro is going to react to this. Hopefully they won't go legal-happy and cease development. Because Fighting is Magic got a cease-and-desist order from Hasbro for very similar reasons I see here.

• 5 weeks later...

21 planned characters is our ultimate goal. Of course, the first release will only have the main 6, of course. And each one is pretty much going to have their unique fighting style. Can you imagine what a Griffon fighting style would be like compared to a minotaur or pony?

Sorry, but we have enough musicians to complete the soundtrack (120+ songs total), and we've done over half. Plus we ask musicians to compose based off need, not by necessity. There will be orchestral, rock, pop, eurobeat, and jazz genres in the soundtrack (We actually have all of these so far).

So, it's been awhile, and I was getting curious as to how far along SSP is. I haven't seen any updates, which is a bit dissapointing.

I love the idea and the gameplay just looks fabulous. I can already tell who i'm maining. I shall be a hardcore Pinkie Pie main, with Fluttershy as a secondary img-1490277-1-img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

*Maning.

Had to do it.

I hope it doesn't CnD like other projects, or get abandoned like equestria online. It really disapoints me when projects that have a great vibe to them suddenly get destroyed by a mear letter or abandon notice.