Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Allusions in MLP

Envoy-in-exile

Am I the only one that sees absolutely no connection to either comics or the Clint Eastwood movie here?

I agree its a loose reference, but just the whole "repeating a word over and over just because it sounds funny", added to the "Chimi-Changa" thing just immediately screamed Deadpool to me (The comics one), but oh well I guess.

The Cutie Mark Chronicles (s1e23), I'm sure referenced 2001: A Space Odyssey. The scene where Rarity is drawn to her "destiny," what with the music and camera shots, way too closely resembled the Monolith to be a coincidence.

post-2368-0-97088100-1330998239_thumb.png

This is a pretty loose reference, if even a reference at all, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

In "Read It and Weep", Rainbow Dash's circumstances mimic that of St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), who was bedridden by a grievous wound he suffered while serving in the army. Like St. Ignatius, Dash quickly became bored of sitting in her bed all day and began reading books which subsequently captured her interest (St. Ignatius read several books on the life of Jesus and the saints, inspiring him to enter service to the Church). Both Dash and St. Ignatius share fiercely action-oriented personalities.

I doubt it was more than serendipity, but the comparison came to my mind shortly after viewing the episode.

I agree its a loose reference, but just the whole "repeating a word over and over just because it sounds funny", added to the "Chimi-Changa" thing just immediately screamed Deadpool to me (The comics one), but oh well I guess.

I'd say more of a coincidence. The "Saying a word over and over until it loses it's meaning (becomes funny)" is a common joke used in many places. It's actually called Semantic satiation, and is a well known phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_satiation

(edited)

I'd say more of a coincidence. The "Saying a word over and over until it loses it's meaning (becomes funny)" is a common joke used in many places. It's actually called Semantic satiation, and is a well known phenomenon. http://en.wikipedia....antic_satiation

The ones making it could have gotten it from Deadpool still. It may often be required to see used, to understand how to use it.

(I had forgotten that Clint had done a "Dirty Harry 7 ... or whatever amount it was" named "Deadpool")

(Besides, a partial off-topic: you said in a thread, now locked, that that kind of thread was already done, and linked to this.

However, you were at least partially wrong, since what i got from that thread, was also, or rather? a question on what cameo appearences others would like to see, and this is not a thread where one may list cameo appearences one would like to see.

Is there such a thread?)

Edited by Tiina Brown

The ones making it could have gotten it from Deadpool still. It may often be required to see used, to understand how to use it.

(I had forgotten that Clint had done a "Dirty Harry 7 ... or whatever amount it was" named "Deadpool")

(Besides, a partial off-topic: you said in a thread, now locked, that that kind of thread was already done, and linked to this.

However, you were at least partially wrong, since what i got from that thread, was also, or rather? a question on what cameo appearences others would like to see, and this is not a thread where one may list cameo appearences one would like to see.

Is there such a thread?)

I have nothing at all to do with locking or merging threads.

I have nothing at all to do with locking or merging threads.

Did i say you had?

My point was, it would be more proper to link to a thread where one suggests other cameo appearences, than to this, that lists already noted references and cameos.

Did i say you had?

My point was, it would be more proper to link to a thread where one suggests other cameo appearences, than to this, that lists already noted references and cameos.

No offense, but why tell me? Contact the site admins. To be honest though, you're splitting hairs over this. Why not suggest other cameo appearances and movie references in this thread? I thought that was what this thread was all about.

A possible reference to a real life figure. I don't want to start a debate/fight; I'm just pointing out something which might be parodied about the following famous person:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Romney is frequently lampooned as wealthy and aloof, although that is a general stereotype of the "rich man" character. What really seems to make the connection is the hair, penchant for suits, and pride in being a business man.

In Hearth's Warming Eve, Twilight and Rarity play the roles of the unicorns 'Clover the Clever' and 'Princess Platinum' in the play. Now, it might be a incredible stretch, but I wonder if they intended to reference the game developer Clover Studio who went on to later become Platinum Games somehow there, since Clover/Platinum are both unicorns, and the developers of the same name are basically the same company. Again, probably an huge strech and coincidence, but I thought I'd just put it out there. :P

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Now all we need is a James bond reference.It could be like this for e.g

**Pinkie Pie close up**

PP:My name is Pinkie...Pinkie Pie.

You're right.

They've referenced fantasy hallmarks, adventure, science fiction, drama, even war movies. All we need now is spy, heist, sitcom and batman.

Edited by Blue

In "Swarm of the Century" I believe it is a reference to Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends when the scribbles take over the house. I haven't seen the show in a LONG time, but if I'm not mistaken Bloo (or someone else) keeps one and they multiply, much like Fluttershy did.

• Brohoof 1

The Everfree Forest by nature is an inversion of the Forest in Peter S. Beagle's book The Last Unicorn.

In Beagle's book, the Forest (because it is inhabited by a unicorn) always is in spring, animals live in tranquility and weather is always fair.

In MLP:FIM, everywhere EXCEPT the Everfree Forest has fair weather and unaltering seasons unless externally acted upon by pegasi.

In S2E23 MMMystery on the Friendship Express, it goes without saying that the title is a play on Agatha Cristie's Murder on the Orient Express.

In that episode:

-Parody of Sherlock Holmes and Watson by way of Victorian English hats and a tobacco pipe with bubbles is so old that there is no consensus yet as to when it began usage.

-Being chained to a railroad track is a very old trope, all the way from Augustine Daly's 1867 play Under the Gaslight.

-Intentional or otherwise, countering an opinion on Doughnuts with "Do-nots" lends from the Homestar Runner 2009 short Donut Unto Others. [Link]

-We are all aware of the numerous spy fiction conventions in the Doughnut Joe/Con Mane sequence, as well as oriental action/epic influence in the Mulia Mild sequence.

-A frying pan to the back of the head delivered by an equine is so calling out to Disney's 2010 Tangled that I laughed aloud.

We are all aware of the numerous spy fiction conventions in the Doughnut Joe/Con Mane sequence, as well as oriental action/epic influence in the Mulia Mild sequence.

Mind you, the bravado with wich Doughnut Joe delivers his sculpture, is also typical to modern anime hero/villain presentations,

Ok, perhaps it wasn't delivered with a typical phrase or such, but the energeticness certainly were there.

Let's go back a bit to "Sisterhood Social" I hadn't realized a movie reference in this until today. I watched the Marx Brother's 1937 movie "A Day at the Races". Harpo's character Stuffy (A Jockey) was riding his horse to victory in a steeplechase (Jumping fences and over water hazards) His horse and the other leading horse fell into a muddy hole. Both riders were thrown. They climbed back on their horses and Stuffy and his horse High Hat lost..That is until Stuffy ran to the other horse and scooped off all the mud to show he was really number 7, High Hat! The Jockeys had accidentally switched horses because they were all covered with mud and looked the same! Sound familiar?

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

Speaking of Skyrim, horse mountain climbing. Take a moment to soak that in.

mlp.PNG?dl=1skyrim.png?dl=1

Oh, and Read It & Weep = Neverending Story

For 9001 more, MLP Wikia

In "Swarm of the Century" I believe it is a reference to Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends when the scribbles take over the house. I haven't seen the show in a LONG time, but if I'm not mistaken Bloo (or someone else) keeps one and they multiply, much like Fluttershy did.

Yep I remember that episode pretty vividly, and I think you're right about that one. It would make sense since Faust was still at the head of the show at the time, and she did create Foster's. 

One reference that's been missing from this thread (since the bulk of it is from 2012, obviously) is the reference in the title of the Season 3 finale, "Magical Mystery Cure."  It's a reference to the Beatles album Magical Mystery Tour. 

And if you include not just the show but the IDW comics as well... man.  One page alone has references to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Shining, It, Evil Dead, and Phantom of the Opera.

• 2 months later...

1. The "Clock is ticking" sound in "Lesson Zero" resambles the clock sound in "24" series.

2. Pinkie Pie's enormously growing smile in "Cutie Mark Chronicles" strongly resembles similarly face-deforming smiles in the "Black Hole Sun" music video by the band "Soundgarden".

What do you think?