Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Allusions in MLP

Envoy-in-exile

Applejack listening to talking apples in The Return of Harmony, and where she looks in the water to show what would happen if her friends separated from each other.
I don't get it, what is with it?

If it was another allusion, then to what?

And I, actually, hoped to get a feedback to my post: whether my observation is accurate.

I don't get it, what is with it?

If it was another allusion, then to what?

And I, actually, hoped to get a feedback to my post: whether my observation is accurate.

Your observation is accurate. Applejack's allusion connects to looking into your future and believing what you want to believe, somewhat like a paradox.

Twilight's talent being organization/leadership in Winter Wrap Up -> Twilight becoming a princess.

Rainbow Dash being embarrassed about liking books, but eventually coming to accept it -> bronies

Chocolate rain in Return of Harmony ->

Doctor Whooves pear reference:

post-9686-0-08242800-1378357966_thumb.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEVK3j4wJvU

And of course the wedding episode paralleled the real life royal wedding :) I'm betting there will be an Equestria Games episode during the real Olympics this winter too.

Edited by dekutree64

When Twilight gets angry in the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen and turns into a white colored pony with a flaming mane and tail. she looked very similar to a Pokemon named Rapidash :P 

np2as4.jpg

Also there was a Cinderella reference when Twilight turned an Apple into a carriage and white mice turned into white horses for their ride to the Grand Galloping Gala in the episode Best Night Ever.

The thorn in the Manticore's paw in S1E2 Friendship is Magic, Part 2 is a reference to the ancient Greek myth of Androcles and the Lion in which compassion is the main arc of the story.

The overlay of numerous characters looking at each other whist in boxes (arguing at Twilight) in S1E3 The Ticket Master comes from the 1970s sitcom The Brady Bunch.

Spike's allegedly villainous mannerisms in S1E24 Owl's Well that Ends Well seems to be heavily inspired from many character cliches rooted from Dick Dastardly.

Many aspects of S2E8 The Mysterious Mare Do Well were inspired from Batman cartoons, including shot layout and character design.

During Rarity's song in S2E9 Sweet and Elite, the lynch of Rarity's opinion for hors d'oeuvres could be inspired by a like-scene near the end of the WWII film Patton.

Iron Will is a minatour, and his prime appearance is in the 'Hedge Maze center' in S2E19 Putting Your Hoof Down. This refers to the original myth of the Minatour who would trap maidens in his Labyrinth.

In Games Ponies Play, there is a messenger Crystal pony mare that has a striking similarity to the god of Hermes. No Caduceus included.

If anyone has watched Star Trek, Discord is referenced from Star Trek's Q. Then again, Lancie plays both of these characters.

May the Best Pet Win. Rainbow Dash sings Ride of the Valkyries. (You know, dun dun da dun da dun dun da dun!)

Mysterious Mare Do Well. Rainbow Dash says "Have no fear", which is implying the superhero Underdog. (There was another movie where the superhero was an actual dog.)

Secret of My Excess. The large Spike and a number of the scenes reference to Godzilla and King Kong.

The Last Roundup. Rainbow Dash mentions Calamity Mane, which is the notorious Calamity Jane in real life.

EDIT: Forgot about James Bond. He's in MMMystery on the Friendship Express. Also a reference to one of Agatha Christie's work.

Edited by Cartophile

In Games Ponies Play, there is a messenger Crystal pony mare that has a striking similarity to the god of Hermes. No Caduceus included.

If anyone has watched Star Trek, Discord is referenced from Star Trek's Q. Then again, Lancie plays both of these characters.

May the Best Pet Win. Rainbow Dash sings Ride of the Valkyries. (You know, dun dun da dun da dun dun da dun!)

Mysterious Mare Do Well. Rainbow Dash says "Have no fear", which is implying the superhero Underdog. (There was another movie where the superhero was an actual dog.)

Secret of My Excess. The large Spike and a number of the scenes reference to Godzilla and King Kong.

The Last Roundup. Rainbow Dash mentions Calamity Mane, which is the notorious Calamity Jane in real life.

EDIT: Forgot about James Bond. He's in MMMystery on the Friendship Express. Also a reference to one of Agatha Christie's work.

Also about the Mare Do Well episode: Rainbow Dash references Spider-Man in the same sentence by saying "the friendly neighborhood Raiinbow Dash is here.

• 4 months later...

I found that the Parasprites bore a resemblance to the Tribbles from Star Trek. The more they eat, the more they reproduce... fast. And they're automatically liked by almost everyone.

Pinkie Pie had a history with them, similarly to Worf from Deep Space Nine. I also think there was someone from the original series who didn't like them, but I don't remember.

Also, Fluttershy's restraining herself in "Putting Your Hoof Down" reminded me of werewolves.

I don't know if this is a direct allusion or not, but in "A Dog and Pony Show", Rarity's complaining reminded me of Jackie's from Cyberchase, when she was kidnapped by Hacker and was very picky about the conditions of her captivity.

If we're going to bump this thread, we need to update it with the various superhero references in Power Ponies, Hinny of the Hills/Maid of the mountains from Rarity takes Manehattan, and the references to Harry Potter, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Flashdance in Threes a Crowd.

I found that the Parasprites bore a resemblance to the Tribbles from Star Trek. The more they eat, the more they reproduce... fast. And they're automatically liked by almost everyone.

Pinkie Pie had a history with them, similarly to Worf from Deep Space Nine. I also think there was someone from the original series who didn't like them, but I don't remember.

Also, Fluttershy's restraining herself in "Putting Your Hoof Down" reminded me of werewolves.

I don't know if this is a direct allusion or not, but in "A Dog and Pony Show", Rarity's complaining reminded me of Jackie's from Cyberchase, when she was kidnapped by Hacker and was very picky about the conditions of her captivity.

In the Original Series, it was Arne Darvin who had an adverse reaction to the Tribbles, and that is how Captain Kirk exposed him as a Klingon spy. Klingons and Tribbles both react badly to each other. Worf didn't have a history with Tribbles, because the Klingons had eradicated them as a species before Worf was born. He just knew about them through stories told by other Klingons. He only encountered them because the Defiant's crew had been thrown back in time to Kirk's era. 

[/Trekkie]