Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Allusions in MLP

Envoy-in-exile

Some examples I could find:

Reference to: Star Wars: A New Hope (end scene)

MLP episode: Season 2, episode 2 (end scene) - Return of Harmony Part 2

Probably the most famous one

Reference to: Skyrim

MLP episode: Season 1, episode 7 - Dragonshy

The title speaks for itself (Dragonshy = Dragonborn) and Fluttershy defeating the dragon with her Voice (not a Fus Roh Dah or Dragonrend, but by scolding him)

Reference to: Pied Piper of Hamelin

MLP episode: Season 1, episode 10 - Swarm of the Century

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOL1a6IYWPI

Reference to: Diamond Dogs (a David Bowie album)

MLP episode: Season 1, episode 19 - A Dog and Pony Show

A pretty obscure one, only alerted to it by a Youtube commentor

Dragonshy came out about a year before Skyrim, you are sounding like these teenage girls who claim their favorite pop artirsts songs where stolen by rock legens.

Anyways, I love lucy in the last roundup, indiana jones in read it and weep and the rest that were mentioned in this thread

• Brohoof 3

My mind is STILL blown over this Trainspotting reference from Baby Cakes, probably THE most adult reference in the show. Seriously, drug trips. Wut.

Posted Image

Edited by FinalGamer
  • Brohoof 5

In "A Bird in the Hoof", there was one time where Angel was holding a clock, and Fluttershy said:

"You're late? .....*Gasp* for a very important date?"

Edited by TwilightRubix
  • Brohoof 2

I forgot the episode (I think suited for sucess), but there was one time where Angel was holding a clock, and Fluttershy said: "You're late? .....*Gasp* for a very important date?"

That would be The Episode "A Bird in the Hoof", she was late for the party with Princess Celestia, which is where she met the supposedly ill-kept Phoenix, Philomena. One of my favorite Episodes ( No, not just cause it focuses is on Fluttershy ;) )

I tend to remember silly things like that :P

Also, I believe this is what Glitterlicious was referring to in the post above.

The hors'oerderves bit in the song Becoming Popular riffs off of a similar hors'oerderves action that takes place in the 1971 movie about the World War II General starring George C. Scott, Patton.

Rainbow Dash boinking her ball against the wall in Read it and Weep when she's in hospital is also a reference to a World War II movie; to one of the several Confinement scenes in The Great Escape.

All of the Flim Flam Brother's song in The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 is three different flavors of Meredith Wilson's The Music Man.

Pinkie Pie saying "I am just about to be brilliant!" in Hearth's Warming Eve is a direct quote from the Gene Kelley musical Singin' in the Rain.

The Manticore scene in Friendship is Magic part 2 is basically summarizing Aesop's Fable known as "Androcles and the Lion" into less than 45 seconds.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2

Well how about some art references? Salvador Dali is one artist who pops up quite a bit in the show, at least three times in season two alone.

The bunnies with long legs in "The Return of Harmony Part 1" are quite similar to Salvador Dali's "The Elephants" or "The Temptations of St. Anthony".

Rainbow Dash's pet-related nightmare from the start of "May The Best Pet Win" which is a reference to Dali's "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening".

Posted Image

And lastly, the art gallery in "Sweet and Elite" has THREE classic art references, the most prominent being the central painting, which actually combines TWO Dali paintings into one.

Firstly, "The Persistence of Memory" (his most famous work being that one with the melting clocks)

And secondly, either "El Sueno/The Dream" OR "Butterfly Landscape" (for the crutch supports).

Awesome eh? OH, also, just for a bonus.

Equestrian Gothic = American Gothic

Posted Image

• Brohoof 5

From a FB brony group:

Oh look, it's Plato's Republic, taught in MLP to indoctrinate children, as proven in Hearth's Warming Eve.

The governing caste = Unicorns

The protective caste = Pegasi

The productve caste = Earth Ponies

The philosophic ruler = Princess Celestia.

Posted Image