Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP Forums Dying?

EpicEnergy

Right now, I feel like MLP Forums is dying. This makes me feel sad, lonely, and worried. MLP Forums is the only social media site that I visit on a regular basis, so for it to be dying is making me sad. What’s making me feel lonely is that there are fewer people to interact with now. And what’s making feel worried is that MLP Forums will have to shut down due to lack of financial support - I’m just worried that might happen. Do you think MLP Forums is really dying?

• Brohoof 1

With the show being over there isn't a whole lot to talk about. Pony Life didn't seem to spark much interest either. The only thing left being general day to day conversations, which many have other playforms to use for that. 

A lot of ponies probably met their friends on here and moved to more instant forms of communication like Discord. 

I'd say it's more going into a hibernation that hopefully will be revived when Gen 5 rolls around next year. 

Not sure how the financial side works though for the forums. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, EpicEnergy said:

Do you think MLP Forums is really dying?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's outright dying, but I do think it's fair to say that the forums have slowed down a bit. I think some of it has to do with the show being over and some people have just moved on, I also think there have been some past controversies on the forums itself that have driven some users away, and I also think that with Discord being a thing, many just find it much easier to communicate on that than it is to on here. It's a variety of factors, but I do hope that this place can pick up again, hopefully with a G5 reboot we'll bring in some new members and maybe some older members will return, that's what I hope for at least :fluttershy:

43 minutes ago, Rising Dusk said:

Pony Life didn't seem to spark much interest either.

That's because Pony Life sucks ass. :fiery: Even well-known Brony reviewers like Doctor Wolf have admitted to losing interest in Pony Life as it goes on. 

• Brohoof 6

Depends.

The role play subforums seem to be the second most active part of the site. The problem with that is that it doesn't necessarily shows on the feed (and older users don't necessarily role play).

The other part of the site with the most activity is the forum games, which doesn't really contribute to anything.

Though I guess I must point out that classes started and several users don't have as much time as they did.

• Brohoof 2

Do you know how many fandoms I have been to that have had topics like this?

I think you might be overreacting, because this forum is always dead on weekends. At least as long as I have been here

• Brohoof 3

Less active, yes. Dying, I wouldn't say so. The show did end almost a year ago, so I'm not too surprised that things aren't as lively as they once were. Once more new content comes out, I think things will start to become more active.

It comes and goes, I think. But really, I've been here since April and it's no less active than it was then. Say if G5 turned out to be horrendous, maybe there will be a new-found appreciation for FiM or maybe there will be anyway if G5 ends up being phenomenal. For me anyway, the fact that there's always more people joining on the regular is confirmation enough for me that we are still going strong, just like the Magic of Friendship! :wub:

1429545.gif

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

Is it, I haven't been here that long :)

I'd like to get to know people still :D

and yeah I got a couple of missed episodes still not sure which ones haha and might watch some equestria girls so i'm still interested talking MLP

Edited by flurry

Like with everything else, people end up less active for a variety of reasons. Be it work, school, loss of a family member or pet and end up with a depressive episode. The list is long over potential reasons for there to be less activity.

Though arguably platforms like Telegram and Discord have taken up a lot of the lost activity due to being instant messaging platforms with various uses.

Forum as general platform have its uses though tend to get reduced activity over time. It's natural and is something I've observed over time.

As someone who's only been here for a couple of months, I wouldn't say it's changed much since I joined, which is a good thing when you think about it. The people who are dedicated can very much keep it going and that's basically what's happening now :squee: And I've managed to keep coming back and be active so there's at least a little potential for new people to come and stick around.

And like some have said G5 will probably bolster interest again. Not sure if it'll bring back old fans who left after G4's end but I can see it bringing in a whole new catch of fans :ooh:

• Brohoof 3

It doesn't feel or seem dead to me. Just some parts of it are not used as much, however, it's far from dying or even dead. People are still posting here daily as far as I can see. I wonder if there will be any future events tbh, that would not be a bad idea to keep the site more active. 

• Brohoof 3

No. Obviously the forums are not as active as they were in both its and the show's hay day, but this place has a decent amount of dedicated users who come here to hang out and chat about whatever. This notion of "the show is over so no reason to be here" isn't accurate to me, because for many years now this forum has been a second home for me and the show has nothing to do with that. I have friends here to talk to, there's always some kind of discussion to be had about any subject and I've made a name here far more than any other community I have been on, for better or worse. A dead community is one that simply nobody cares to come back to. This place isn't that. 

• Brohoof 8

I mostly came on due to lockdown and I must admit I've literally not touched this place in the last month or so. With the show finished, I've all but forgotten about mlp. 

I will deffo be back once generation 5 drops. Hopefully the forum can hold out till then

• Brohoof 2