Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Understanding Closet Bronies

Away

Well, after seeing so many posts saying that you shouldn't care what other people think of you being a brony, I got kinda... pissed. I mean I already know that I shouldn't care what other people think but hear me out.

I've been judged and mistreated already for a bunch of other stuff. Stupid stuff. Do you people not realize that we have feelings? And by just disregarding that, you're being insensitive to these feelings. Just try to put yourselves in our position. People can be so cruel and sometimes words really can speak louder than actions rather than vice versa. Why do you think some people commit suicide. So many stories I hear about suicides, especially in teenagers, are caused because these people couldn't stand all of the insults that were being tossed at them.

And you know you're being a hypocrite when you say these people shouldn't care what others think, yet you voice your opinions and tell them what YOU think. I'm sorry (not really) but that is a bit hypocritical.

So yeah, I'm done with my rant. And this isn't just a rant. I'm trying to defend closet bronies. Or at least those who feel the same way I do.

Would you agree with the points I made?

• Brohoof 19

I agree, and I already posted against how the person thinks in this thread, because I understand how bullying is a very common thing, that can lead to depression. And it's really easy to bully about MLP, and how looked down it is in society, making bronies a prime target.

I agree with the points you made. And it's not just other people at school or society - it can also be your family who might think of you as immature, or really get angry about watching things not of your age group.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I agree, and I already posted against how the person thinks in this thread, because I understand how bullying is a very common thing, that can lead to depression. And it's really easy to bully about MLP, and how looked down it is in society, making bronies a prime target.

I agree with the points you made. And it's not just other people at school or society - it can also be your family who might think of you as immature, or really get angry about watching things not of your age group.

Thank you. You have know idea how glad I am to see that at least one person feels the same way as me. And you're right about family. Having strangers or even friends insulting you is one thing. But having your family do that is just plain fucked up. It really pisses me off.

By the way, that same thread is what got me to start this one.

Edited by LatinoChurro
  • Brohoof 1

Thank you. You have know idea how glad I am to see that at least one person feels the same way as me. And you're right about family. Having strangers or even friends insulting you is one thing. But having your family do that is just plain fucked up. It really pisses me off.

Yea. Luckily, my family doesn't do that, but instead, maybe do some light teasing. But it's all in good spirits :P

It sucks to get bullied (I've been bullied before for something else), so I get where the closet bronies are coming from, since I'm not one myself.

For your family looking down on you for liking something is a terrible thing, and can cause depressions. The people you have loved all your life, thinking of you as.."less than before", would just suck.

• Brohoof 1

Well, after seeing so many posts saying that you shouldn't care what other people think of you being a brony, I got kinda... pissed. I mean I already know that I shouldn't care what other people think but hear me out.

I've been judged and mistreated already for a bunch of other stuff. Stupid stuff. Do you people not realize that we have feelings? And by just disregarding that, you're being insensitive to these feelings. Just try to put yourselves in our position. People can be so cruel and sometimes words really can speak louder than actions rather than vice versa. Why do you think some people commit suicide. So many stories I hear about suicides, especially in teenagers, are caused because these people couldn't stand all of the insults that were being tossed at them.

And you know you're being a hypocrite when you say these people shouldn't care what others think, yet you voice your opinions and tell them what YOU think. I'm sorry (not really) but that is a bit hypocritical.

So yeah, I'm done with my rant. And this isn't just a rant. I'm trying to defend closet bronies. Or at least those who feel the same way I do.

i can see your point but like me when i came out to tell my friends the made funny of me but if you don't care what other think then you are not human in the back your mind you are hurt but do i get down maybe but that not a reason to not to keep on living no you want to know why because i know alot of people that are just like me in these type of problems and i know how it feels very well and i get past it because its life.

Just because people say that you shouldn't care what others think if you are a brony dosen't mean they are insulting you or deny that some people are in fact bullied for being bronies but that letting other people control you by caring what they think is not going to solve anything and will only make you more unhappy in the long run. I understand why some people choose to be closet bronies alot of them are teenagers who have parents or other family that don't or might not approve so I can understand hiding it from them even if it isn't the healthiest thing to do but hiding it from everyone else isn't the answer. I am not saying you have to go out of your way to tell everyone but going out of your way to hide it from friends and strangers isn't a good idea either.

• Brohoof 4

Just because people say that you shouldn't care what others think if you are a brony dosen't mean they are insulting you or deny that some people are in fact bullied for being bronies but that letting other people control you by caring what they think is not going to solve anything and will only make you more unhappy in the long run. I understand why some people choose to be closet bronies alot of them are teenagers who have parents or other family that don't or might not approve so I can understand hiding it from them even if it isn't the healthiest thing to do but hiding it from everyone else isn't the answer. I am not saying you have to go out of your way to tell everyone but going out of your way to hide it from friends and strangers isn't a good idea either.

i think you explain it better then i did very well i think i mix my words up in my post lol :P but yea you are right about that tho

I don't see how NOT hiding it is such a good idea either. And I'm not saying that they are that they are INTENTIONALLY insulting me or denying the facts. I just think it's kind of ignorant. They don't fully know what I've been through. Plus, I don't see how people can just turn off their feelings and truly not give a shit about what people think of them. We are social creatures. Why else would you think that bullying and loneliness causes so much depression?

• Brohoof 1

Yes. All of my.

Every human wants to be accepted by others. But for some it is easier to be the bully and exclude others than to accept them. And this is the point where bullying-victims have bad luck. I'm a closet brony myself and I had bad experiences being bullied myself. I try to let past be past, but saying that you shouldn't care about what others say is just stupid. That's not how society works and not how humans work on an individual level.

Those who made good experiences at coming out as abrony and maybe never had any experiences as a victim of bullying might easily say that we shouldn't care. But I want to ask them one question:

If I don't have to care what others think, why is it hurting me so much then when they think bad of me because of something that I can't change?

And then there comes another problem. Can you ignore those people who bully you or at least show you that they don't like you for being what you are? Can you? In school? In your town, community? At your work?

I wouldn't recommend to make the experience of being bullied, but as long as someone didn't make that experience by himself, it is just stupid to say "Don't care what others think."

I don't want to sound negative here, but that's just how it is. Of curse it is possible that I will be accepted when I reveal myself as a brony. And it is also possible that the only ones who are offended by what I am, are people that don't affect my life that much. But talking about bullying as it was nothing, or saying that one can easily "be better than that" is just ignorant.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see how NOT hiding it is such a good idea either. And I'm not saying that they are that they are INTENTIONALLY insulting me or denying the facts. I just think it's kind of ignorant. They don't fully know what I've been through. Plus, I don't see how people can just turn off their feelings and truly not give a shit about what people think of them. We are social creatures. Why else would you think that bullying and loneliness causes so much depression?

but we are all ignorant one way or another everyone has there opinion you just have to look at it like that and that all there is to it so yea that all i have to say about it you are probably going to quote this an say you are not ignorant or something like that if not im sorry for saying the last part

• Brohoof 1

But talking about bullying as it was nothing, or saying that one can easily "be better than that" is just ignorant.

Nobody here is seriously talking about bullying like it is nothing all we are saying is that by letting the bullies upset you you are playing right into their hands. I have been bullied before not for being a brony but for other reasons and I know it is not easy but I see all these people conforming to society so they won't be judged and they always end up being miserable because they are living someone else's life instead of their own. Yes there are ignorant people who won't accept you simply because of a harmless hobby like cartoon ponies but that is their own insecurities talking, I am not saying to stop caring what others think is easy as it requires a complete change in your thinking which is very difficult but it is the only way you are ever going to be happy.

but we are all ignorant one way or another everyone has there opinion you just have to look at it like that and that all there is to it so yea that all i have to say about it you are probably going to quote this an say you are not ignorant or something like that if not im sorry for saying the last part

We are all ignorant and hypocrites at times. So I will agree with you on that. Sorry if any of my words came out in the wrong way. And thank you for voicing your opinion. I truly respect and appreciate it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@LatinoChurro,

Thank you Latinochurro, I really couldn't agree more with you. I have caught some flak from my online Brony friends for never admitting IRL to being a Brony, because I stand to have too much to lose if I admit to it. The only Bronies at my school who are open about it are at the very, very bottom of the social heap, and I just can't go down there. I sit quite high up my school's 'food chain', if you will, and since I still have one more year of high school, I'd much rather not give up my social standing just to come clean about something as small as being a Brony. The bullying and abuse those kids at the bottom of my school's food chain get is horrible to behold, and I could never see myself enduring that for a whole year. So thanks for posting this, its nice to not be chided for being secret about it for once. 

Oh, and P.S., I absolutely adore your avatar picture. laugh.png

Edited by Windy Runner
  • Brohoof 1

We are all ignorant and hypocrites at times. So I will agree with you on that. Sorry if any of my words came out in the wrong way. And thank you for voicing your opinion. I truly respect and appreciate it.

same as well i think some of my words came out in the wrong way to and i do truly respect an appreciate it as well i think that just human nature tho

• Brohoof 1

Nobody here is seriously talking about bullying like it is nothing all we are saying is that by letting the bullies upset you you are playing right into their hands. I have been bullied before not for being a brony but for other reasons and I know it is not easy but I see all these people conforming to society so they won't be judged and they always end up being miserable because they are living someone else's life instead of their own. Yes there are ignorant people who won't accept you simply because of a harmless hobby like cartoon ponies but that is their own insecurities talking, I am not saying to stop caring what others think is easy as it requires a complete change in your thinking which is very difficult but it is the only way you are ever going to be happy.

I disagree. I'm happy right now (despite what my posts might have implied) because I have other bronies here to talk to. And keeping this secret doesn't mean I'm conforming to society.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a closet brony I guess I am  not because it's embarrassing just because people don't understand if everyone I know would tolerate it not saying like it I would have no trouble saying it but I know how some of them would react with some bs how do I know I asked one of my friends what do you think of bronies after the  response I know to keep my mouth shout. But it probably just be teasing that i didn't want to deal with rather than sucide fuel

I would simply state that being a teenager and high school sucks. Anyone who says its the best time in your life must be either bully, jock, or a popular person becuase for most people it's really a rather terrible time as everything changes at once (your body, your emotions, your social peers, becoming an adult, getting ready to leave the safe confines of school, getting prepped for a job).

All i can say is that it gets better. Want to be a closet brony because people WOULD make fun of it at your school? Do it. It's your decision and you know your peers and life better than ANYONE else. Only you will suffer if you choose wrong, right?

• Brohoof 4

I believe I understand. Circumstance does not always allow you to tell people that you're a brony without facing repercussions.  Unfortunately some people just can't admit that they're a brony because of how judgmental their peers are.

• Brohoof 2

i agree though alot of people dont mean it to be offensive, they simply mean that you should show pride in yourself and your activities. It doesnt matter what other people think of you, if they cant accept you for who you are then they arent worth your time. This is coming from the guy who spent his entire middle school and high school years sitting in the back of class not talking to a single person. Someone who had little to no confidence in himself and hated the person he was just for the fact that noone accepted him. In case your still wondering that person is me, and all i can tell you is that untill you stop caring what others think or saym you wont find any shred of happiness. This applies to life in general not just about being a brony. if a person doesnt want to disclose that he watches MLP than thats all him but just some friendly advice, it feels much better to be completly open with people.

(edited)

I never understood the whole concept of "coming out" as a brony. It's like people (bronies included) feel the same about the fandom as they do about the homosexual community. I never "came out" because I didn't think it was a big deal but I also never hid the fact that I was a brony. I would have an MLP wallpaper on my laptop or post MLP memes on Facebook and if anyone asked me about them then I'd just explain that I'm a brony. To me, liking MLP is no big deal, it's no different from being a browncoat (Firefly fan) and so I won't act any differently about it.

I will say that if you're a "closet brony" (yet more parallels to the gay community) then you are kidding to yourself. You can embrace your love of ponies without making a big deal about it. Sure, you may be ridiculed but the less f**ks you give about it the less interested people will be in teasing you. Anyone who belittles you for liking FiM is not worth your time. I was bullied somewhat at school but I learned not to let any crap hurt me and people stopped trying to hurt me. Later I found MLP and I treated it like any other interest and the person who has ridiculed me the most is my mother, nobody else cares because I don't care.

To you I say this: embrace your interests, all of them, and don't let anyone's words hurt you because you already know there's nothing wrong with being a brony. If you do find yourself feeling low, then you got an entire family here.

Edited by Taviscratch
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah I've had to learn that not everyone can kind of... I'm usually a leader in situations.  Either that or I'm the #1 trouble maker and I don't give a damn about it.  I've been in fights before I'm not afraid of them, and I find myself growing and becoming stronger from living with this "I will be me, I will speak my mind, if people don't like it they aren't my people" kind of attitude.  I used to try to convince others to be that way too but frankly it's just not the path for many people, if you aren't someone who legitimately doesn't care about insults and doesn't care about confrontation then you are dead right, there's no reason to let your hobbies/interests fuel the fire.  

I can attest to bronies getting hate too, on this forum for vloggers I'm on I am one of the most popular members, I mean tons of threads were made about me and I have this little group of people who call themselves my "minions" LOL  I did NOT give them this name btw, but anyway my point is I'm highly respected there, and even when I made a thread saying "Welp, that's it, I guess I'm a brony"  And was like "So I didn't understand this phenomenon but now that I've seen the show it's just FREAKING ADORABLE so I guess I can't help it I'm the very thing I was creeped out by a month ago"  (I assumed bronyism was somehow related to pedophilia when I first heard about it, sorry I just didn't get it)  And even then people in that thread were like "WHAT??? SYMPH??? You LIKE that show??? WTF"  And people were making jokes about how my lady's man days were over etc etc.  

I'd just be like "Do you need this pony loving girlie man to kick your ass?"  HAHAHAHAHAHA But my point is, even in places where you're well known and well liked, the brony thing is somewhat of a taint, or a slur, or something that people with ignorant ideas of what is and isn't masculine or adult love to mock and jump on.  But in reality I think the brony fandom's heart is in an ideal.  It's in a longing for innocence and purity, we wish the world worked the way it does in equestria, where the line between good and evil is clearly defined and friends are TRUE friends who don't backstab each other.  

In this cold heartless hell hole of an earth it's a place we can escape to and envision what could and should be.  That's all being a brony is to me, and people who think I'm stupid for that can SUCK IT.  But if you don't have that kind of "I don't give a shit" attitude, and if people's disapproval means alot to you or you're in a situation where the bullies would outnumber you and make your life hell, by all means, STAY IN THE CLOSET.  There are places I'd say the same for gay people, it's not that you shouldn't be yourself, it's that the repercussions just AREN'T WORTH IT.  

• Brohoof 2

I never understood the whole concept of "coming out" as a brony. It's like people (bronies included) feel the same about the fandom as they do about the homosexual community.

I think people "come out" as a brony for the same reason that people come out as homosexual because society treats both as a much bigger deal than either of them should be. Yes society dosen't treat being a brony as nearly a big of a deal as being gay but people are still unfortunately ridiculed for it. Although I never felt the need to "come out" myself when I did first get into the show I did feel a desire to shout it from the rooftops which I did channel into joining this forum and making a youtube video talking about how and why I became a brony. I didn't really confess anything as I felt and still feel there is nothing to confess, I however felt like it and figured that it might be a good idea to sort of get it out of my system so I don't become one of the small yet loud and annoying minority of bronies who try to push it on people.

I would agree that if some are too emotionally fragile to take being make fun of then they can hide their enjoyment of a television show from others if they feel that it's needed. However, to compare this connotatively with homosexuality via the word “closet” shows a willing ignorance to the far harsher severity of violence imposed on many homosexuals including the threat of death. In my opinion, it’s emotional pandering at least and morally bankrupt at worse. There can be no comparison whatsoever.