Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Count to a million

DubWolf

CTAM after 1 million  

180 users have voted

1. 1. What should happen after 1 million is reached?

• Start over at 1
    • Keep counting to infinity (count to the next million(s))
    • Count back down to 1 (then back up)
    • Other (pm or mention if you'd like)

233.,924+

Eh, I like iTunes and the like, makes everything more portable ;)

Oh I use iTunes too. I hate Apple products except the older model ipods with the click wheel. But I used to have an iPod touch. When they released iOS 6 and it made my iPod slower than molasses, I avoided iOS like the plague. Not ragging on anyone who like Apple stuff. It's just not for me. 

I do have an old iPod though. And I use iTunes. That's about the extent of it. iTunes (when running on a fairly decent machine) is actually an incredibly beautiful and easy to use music manager. Miles ahead of WMP. 

I just port my CD's over to iTunes. There are a few reasons I like CD's

1. Companies like iTunes, Google, and Amazon...they may not be around forever. If they go bust, you probably lose everything you had with them unless you have backup copies. 

2. CD's have all the neat stuff that you don't get when you get the album digitally. You get the booklet. 

3. CD's give you a feel of ownership. You go to the store or online and buy the CD. You take it home or get it in the mail and you actually have something you can hold. Tangibility makes a huge difference to someone like me. 

4. The audio quality of a CD is superior to what you buy online. Until you can buy lossless copies of songs digitally from the major vendors, my preferred choice is the good ol CD. An  MP3 CD has 700 megabytes of storage or 80 minutes of play time. 80 minutes of play time is roughly 15 to 20 songs. 700 megabytes is 100+ songs in MP3 format. They achieve that by cutting out a lot of data. An AAC you buy on iTunes is 256 kilobits per second. That same song on a CD is 1,411.2 kilobits per second though FLAC and ALAC use compression to cut it down without sacrificing quality. Let it go on record that I'm not about to talk down on someone if they prefer MP3 or AAC. I don't care. But I do prefer CD's because in lossless formats, certain sounds are much more pronounced. Especially snare and cymbal hits. 

5. CD's are dying. Stores are trying their best to clear their inventory of them. It sucks. It really sucks. But the upside of this is that you can get a CD far cheaper than you can the same album on iTunes anymore. I recently got a copy of Green Day's "Dookie." on Amazon. It cost me $5. That's no typo. And you get a free MP3 version with it if you buy it straight from Amazon. The MP3 version w/o the CD is somewhere in the ballpark of $12. So essentially you get more things for less money. Buying the CD is the cheaper alternative. And you also get the superior audio quality of the CD. :D Win-win!

It's not hard to put a CD in iTunes lol I copy a CD over and never have to touch it again unless I lose all my backups. And in case I do, I've got the CD. But that's just me. :3

Edited by Spaced Out Woona
  • Brohoof 1

Oh I use iTunes too. I hate Apple products except the older model ipods with the click wheel. But I used to have an iPod touch. When they released iOS 6 and it made my iPod slower than molasses, I avoided iOS like the plague. Not ragging on anyone who like Apple stuff. It's just not for me. 

I do have an old iPod though. And I use iTunes. That's about the extent of it. iTunes (when running on a fairly decent machine) is actually an incredibly beautiful and easy to use music manager. Miles ahead of WMP. 

I just port my CD's over to iTunes. There are a few reasons I like CD's

1. Companies like iTunes, Google, and Amazon...they may not be around forever. If they go bust, you probably lose everything you had with them unless you have backup copies. 

2. CD's have all the neat stuff that you don't get when you get the album digitally. You get the booklet. 

3. CD's give you a feel of ownership. You go to the store or online and buy the CD. You take it home or get it in the mail and you actually have something you can hold. Tangibility makes a huge difference to someone like me. 

4. The audio quality of a CD is superior to what you buy online. Until you can buy lossless copies of songs digitally from the major vendors, my preferred choice is the good ol CD. An  MP3 CD has 700 megabytes of storage or 80 minutes of play time. 80 minutes of play time is roughly 15 to 20 songs. 700 megabytes is 100+ songs in MP3 format. They achieve that by cutting out a lot of data. An AAC you buy on iTunes is 256 kilobits per second. That same song on a CD is 1,411.2 kilobits per second though FLAC and ALAC use compression to cut it down without sacrificing quality. Let it go on record that I'm not about to talk down on someone if they prefer MP3 or AAC. I don't care. But I do prefer CD's because in lossless formats, certain sounds are much more pronounced. Especially snare and cymbal hits. 

5. CD's are dying. Stores are trying their best to clear their inventory of them. It sucks. It really sucks. But the upside of this is that you can get a CD far cheaper than you can the same album on iTunes anymore. I recently got a copy of Green Day's "Dookie." on Amazon. It cost me $5. That's no typo. And you get a free MP3 version with it if you buy it straight from Amazon. The MP3 version w/o the CD is somewhere in the ballpark of $12. So essentially you get more things for less money. Buying the CD is the cheaper alternative. And you also get the superior audio quality of the CD. :D Win-win!

It's not hard to put a CD in iTunes lol I copy a CD over and never have to touch it again unless I lose all my backups. And in case I do, I've got the CD. But that's just me. :3

Yeah, that is true, though I don't usually notice the data loss, so that part doesn't bother me that much, and since blank CDs are cheap, CDs made to be playlists are pretty easy, since you can burn the songs, so taking it in the car isn't hard

Edited by Nomed Deps
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, that is true, though I don't usually notice the data loss, so that part doesn't bother me that much, and since blank CDs are cheap, CDs made to be playlists are pretty easy, since you can burn the songs, so taking it in the car isn't hard

My problem with that was when I got one new song and I wanted to listen to it...had to burn a new disc...Kinda one reason I got an iPod again. I swapped my car stereo a couple years ago for something that actually has a USB port because you didn't find those in cars in 2000. Being able to plug my iPod into my car is pretty nifty. :D

• Brohoof 1

#foobar2000andFLACmasterrace

I guess having to have a 64 gigabyte memory card in my phone is just a small price to pay for the FLAC master race...

• Brohoof 1

Can you explain to me the logic behind that? I mean...tablets in general. What makes them so desirable? Seems like people are buying them left and right. If I want a portable music player...well that's what the iPod is for. Tablets are portable, but not on the level of a phone. And to have something to walk around with, I wouldn't consider a tablet to be practical. Can't fit it in a pocket so you're gonna have one hand occupied. And (this is just me) if I want a full blown computer, I'm going to want a physical keyboard. But that's because I'm a touch typist. 

I mean, it just seems like to me that a tablet is a jack of all trades but master of none. Am I mistaken? And I'm not trying to give anyone buyer's remorse if they have one. I'm just trying to figure this out. 

• Brohoof 1

223.,947+

Well, to me, it's a variety of things, I like to listen to music, and the speakers on the iPad are a lot better then iPod speakers (I don't always have my headphones)

I also like books, and the iPad has the iTunes bookstore, as well as kindle and nook apps

And I like playing games, and the iPad has better games than te iPod, and a lot of the free games are really fun for just wasting some time

The screen being bigger than the iPod's and it having a bigger selection of apps is one of my main reasons for over that, though I don't like the biggest screen, so I do have the mini

It just works well for me, it's easily portable, in its otterbox it fits under my arm very comfortably without slipping, and outside of it, it can fits in the pockets of some pants (or at least, some shorts, and dress pants, I' not really sure how big the pockets are for mens jeans...)

It just works for me

• Brohoof 1

My problem with that was when I got one new song and I wanted to listen to it...had to burn a new disc...Kinda one reason I got an iPod again. I swapped my car stereo a couple years ago for something that actually has a USB port because you didn't find those in cars in 2000. Being able to plug my iPod into my car is pretty nifty. :D

See, I didn't want to swap my head unit, or do anything to royally screw up any chance of reselling my car, so I bought a $30 adaptor that plays my iPhone through radio frequency.

Edited by Overdrive