Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

fan fiction My Little Pony: Football is Magic (Chapter 2)

Akemi Homura

Chapter 2 of my fanfic, Football is Magic. You can see the chapters below:

Chapter 1: http://mlpforums.com...agic-chapter-1/

Chapter 2: (you are here)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My heart was racing. My breath was quick. My body was shaking all over. This was playoff football at its finest. The Manehattan Magic taking on the Fillydelphia Eagles, with nothing else but the taste of victory at stake.

This game was about as close as it could get. The score was tied at 17, and the other team was almost in field goal range. They were in the process of making a strong drive towards our endzone. There was about 20 seconds left on the clock, with the clock stopped. They had one timeout remaining. About 20 more yards, and they could run down the clock and win the game with a field goal, 20-17.

It was 3rd down and 14 now. On the previous play, one of our guys hit the quarterback, who was in the process of throwing it. It was an incomplete pass since I knocked it away. I was very close to intercepting it, though. I couldn’t hold on.

That didn’t matter now, though. All that mattered was stopping the other team right here. Stop them here, and they would have to punt it away or go for it. And if they failed to go for it, they would give us the ball back on their own 49 yard line, and then we could win the game with a field goal or a touchdown.

“What’s the matter, Silver SLOW?” said the receiver whom I was supposed to be covering. “You afraid I’ll catch it and win the game right here and now? Don’t worry, Blue Midnight isn’t as mean as he looks.”

His words pierced me. He was one of those receivers who loved to get into people’s heads. On or off the field. He was very nasty to say the least. He reminded me of the guys who used to taunt me everyday when I was just a colt.

Blue Midnight had been burning me almost all game long. With the exception of some hard hits and pass deflections from me, it didn’t really faze him. It was like he knew I had a bad weakness. Hard hits wouldn’t stop him this game. Earlier in the game, he had caught a 29 yard touchdown pass after I failed to tackle him on our own 19 yard line. Not only did he get a first down, but he ran off with nobody on his back. It was embarrasing, to say the least. Never have I played this bad before.

If I thought that was bad, however, the next play would make me redefiine the word “bad”.

As I was covering Blue Midnight, he ran a deep route and caught the ball on our own 41 yard line. I was chasing him down, and I was about to tackle him when he stiff-armed me. I fell down to the ground. And then, he was off to the endzone, for a touchdown with about 10 seconds left on the clock.

What the hell just happened?

“NO!” I yelled out in frustration, while pounding the ground. “DAMNIT! I LET HIM GET AWAY!”

The game wasn’t over, but I knew we couldn’t win this one. We would get the ball back on the next kickoff, but with 10 seconds left on the clock, there was nothing we could do about it.

We received the ball, and the guy running with the ball was tackled down near our 40 yard line. It didn’t matter, though. The clock read 00:00. The game was over. We lost.

Blue Midnight came over to me.

“You’ll never be half the player I am, Silver Slow.” He said. “Your team sucks. And will always suck. Kind of like… YOU! Hahahaha!”

I couldn’t take the heat. I sprinted off towards the locker room, my eyes full of tears. My teammates didn’t seem to notice this. I didn’t care.

“How could I let this happen?” I thought. “I’m supposed to be better than before, but it looks like I’m still as pathetic as ever… I guess even after 7 years, she and those other guys were right. I’ll never amount to anything in this league or this life…”

……………………………………………………………………………….

The next few months were filled with bad times. I was blamed for the loss to the Eagles, and the fact that we choked in the playoffs. It was horrible. I let Blue Midnight get the game winning touchdown, and there wasn’t anything I could do about it. It felt so painful.

It was offseason. Blue Midnight’s team didn’t win the Luna Bowl, but his team did much better than last year, reaching the Equestrian Football Conference Championship and losing there, as the lowest seed. They did better than us. Blue Midnight did better than me.

“Silver Speed!” a voice called out to me. It was my coach, Chase Carter. We just call him Coach Carter.

“Team meeting’s today.” He said. “I know you don’t like team meetings, since you’re so reserved, but we have a new guy on the team. We just signed him, since we’re in need of safety help. His name’s Rainbow Bolt in case you’re wondering. You might not wanna miss this meeting.”

“Rainbow Bolt, huh.” I thought to myself. “Name sounds familiar… ah well, probably no one in particular I know. Lot of people with familiar names around the league.”

The meeting lasted a good 90 minutes. Afterwards, the “new guy” came over to me to ask me something.

“Hey, I know you’re the team captain on defense.” Said Rainbow Bolt, the new guy. “I was wondering if you could give me some pointers, just to get me started?”

His tone, not his words, irked me for a few seconds. It just reminded me of some awful tone from almost a decade ago, back in high school.

“Yeah…” I started to speak. “Stay out of my way, and we won’t have any problems. Got it?”

It was the first time I spoke with this pony, and I already didn’t like him. There was just something about him that really made me start to lose my cool. Granted, I’ve never seen him before, and since I never played his previous team last year, and yet he reminded me of someone.

“Oh… ok then…” he responded. “Sorry to have wasted your time…”

He left rather quickly. I decided to head on home following this. I couldn’t let this new guy get on my nerves just because he reminded me of somepony.

During my way home, I could have sworn I heard a faint tune. A tune which sounded awfully joyous… I haven’t heard that kind of tune since, well, about a decade ago. I couldn’t quite put my hoof on it, but I could have sworn I heard something along the lines of “sunshine, sunshine”.

“Where on Equestria is that tune coming from?” I said to myself. “I’m either really bothered by the new guy or I’m tired as heck… better get some shut eye.”

With that, I went inside my home. I hope to Celestia that I don’t start losing it after all these rough times.