Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Computer help Please

Codelyy

I need some video card help, well puting a video card in type of help

Would this video card: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATi-Radeon-X1300-Pro-Sapphire-256MB-DVI-TV-VGA-Gaming-Graphics-/281188766443?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item41782812eb

Fit into a AGP 8X Slot?

it looks like it would fit in

By the way it looks, you shouldn't have any trouble getting that in an AGP slot.

I'm actually pretty surprised you're looking for an AGP card in 2013. I haven't even heard anything about AGP since I worked on Windows 98 machines with my dad. But if you have a 10+ year old machine that still runs, kudos to you! 

Uh, be careful.  The eBay listing said this was a PCI-Express card, not an AGP card.  I did a quick search on the model (ATi Radeon X1300 Pro Sapphire 256MB) and found separate listings for an AGP version (100161L) and a PCI-X version (100143L) on NewEgg.

The image shown in that listing depicts the AGP version, but the listing itself says it's PCI-X.  If you haven't already committed to buying it, you should confirm with the person listing that card which version it is, preferably by getting the actual model number (100161L, 100143L, or something similar) and verifying that independently.

Probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: AGP and PCI-Express are NOT cross-compatible.

Did a little more looking around - the listing also shows the MPN (Manufacturer's Part Number, presumably) is 110740020 .  I searched for that and found a uk.shopping.com listing for that card, which says it's a PCI-Express card.

Uh, be careful.  The eBay listing said this was a PCI-Express card, not an AGP card.  I did a quick search on the model (ATi Radeon X1300 Pro Sapphire 256MB) and found separate listings for an AGP version (100161L) and a PCI-X version (100143L) on NewEgg.

The image shown in that listing depicts the AGP version, but the listing itself says it's PCI-X.  If you haven't already committed to buying it, you should confirm with the person listing that card which version it is, preferably by getting the actual model number (100161L, 100143L, or something similar) and verifying that independently.

Probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: AGP and PCI-Express are NOT cross-compatible.

Did a little more looking around - the listing also shows the MPN (Manufacturer's Part Number, presumably) is 110740020 .  I searched for that and found a uk.shopping.com listing for that card, which says it's a PCI-Express card.

Crap he was right. Didn't see that. Lucky you dodged a bullet there. I was looking at the picture I miss understood it. Hope you didn't but it yet mate

15mci35.png

Edited by Fragilistic

Crap he was right. Didn't see that. Lucky you dodged a bullet there. I was looking at the picture I miss understood it. Hope you didn't but it yet mate

img-1967628-1-15mci35.png

Yeah, unfortunately, this is a common problem with people selling computer parts on eBay - many of them aren't very careful about matching images up with their tech specs.  A lot of the time, they use a stock image to represent a class of hardware, or they just copy/paste their template to a bunch of different listings and forget to update the image.

On the good side of things, at least, this eBay listing is one of the most complete I've seen in terms of tech specs - they gave enough info to actually look up the full details on the card and verify which exact model they were talking about.  The CNet entry given further up in this doesn't have enough info in it to distinguish the AGP version of this card from its PCI-X counterpart, other than saying it has an AGP interface.  CNet is usually better about that.

But that makes no sence because if it says it's for PCI Express then why does it look like it for AGP 8X

and i have brought it already :(

But that makes no sence because if it says it's for PCI Express then why does it look like it for AGP 8X

and i have brought it already sad.png

Crap... That sucks. but as least you didn't spend to much money on the damn thing. 11 punds is not that much right? right? What made you think that was a AGP GPU in the first place?

The GPU was for a PCI express x8 not AGP

pci-express-slots.gif

Edited by Fragilistic

Well the Slot i have looks the same as a PCI express so i don't really know if it's a PCI express 8X or a AGP 8X Slot because they look the same :(

and i have brought it already sad.png

Because as I mentioned, the listing apparently used the wrong image.  It's really important when looking at eBay auctions to verify the actual details of the listing - if the image looks like AGP, but the listing says PCI-X, start looking for model numbers to verify which one it is.  At the very least, eBay offers a way for you to ask the seller a question, and most sellers are good about getting back to you quickly.

I would contact this seller and let them know the card is apparently a different one than pictured.  If they haven't shipped it out to you, they can probably cancel the transaction and refund any money you've sent.  If they have shipped it, then I would let them know as soon as you receive it that you need to return it.

Also, while it is still possible to get AGP cards, that technology has been pretty much obsolete for a decade now - to the point that many people don't even know what it is or commonly get it confused with PCI-X.  You just need to be careful with these.

Well the Slot i have looks the same as a PCI express so i don't really know if it's a PCI express 8X or a AGP 8X Slot because they look the same sad.png

Can you take a photo of the slot?  I could tell you pretty quick which one it is.  (Modern PCI-X slots are usually colored blue, but that's not a universal standard.)

Next time try to look into the details. When I was also first building a PC I almost bought an Intel slot Mobo, with an AMD slot Processor... Do some research on your PC first then go research more on what you need to buy and not buy... 

True story here. I was looking to upgrade my ram years back. Bought some off ebay. But to my realization, I bought FB DIMM ram. which is used for servers. It was the most f'ed up think in my life.... I knew the basics but there were just more into it I didn't know.

Edited by Fragilistic

Oh Well i can return it as it says and get my money back and then i can get a video card that i know will work because it says AGP on it 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-RADEON-SAPPHIRE-9600XT-128MB-AGP-GRAPHICS-/151142732655?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item2330cf136f#shpCntId

Oh Well i can return it as it says and get my money back and then i can get a video card that i know will work because it says AGP on it 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-RADEON-SAPPHIRE-9600XT-128MB-AGP-GRAPHICS-/151142732655?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item2330cf136f#shpCntId

Well, hang on, if you're not sure of what type of slot you have, you should make sure you don't return a card that actually would work for you.  If you can show us what the slot in your computer looks like, we can help you determine if you got the right card or not.

Fine i will go and take a look at my computer and take a picture of it for you but i don't think it is the right one so i don't think it will work but it would fit in

Well, hang on, if you're not sure of what type of slot you have, you should make sure you don't return a card that actually would work for you.  If you can show us what the slot in your computer looks like, we can help you determine if you got the right card or not.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.66-setup-en.exe

Like what he said. Download this and give us specs. Gotta go so hope to find out laterik ndignsfiopgnfgnfpsdkgnmpfsdlglfgsgrfgfdhgofdnhgpofdldgs fghfdm[pg ijhopi d0fiodj ipdfjpodiffd g

Fine i will go and take a look at my computer and take a picture of it for you but i don't think it is the right one so i don't think it will work but it would fit in

Just as a rule of thumb, if your computer was made anytime within the last 10 years, chances are very good it has PCI-Express in it.  The older it is, the more likely it may ALSO have AGP, but AGP-exclusive motherboards have been virtually extinct since around 2002.

Well i toke my computer apart and looked inside to show you the Slots of where i put my videos cards in, The top one is every my video card i got right now goes into 

LYEMprR.jpg

Alrighty, thanks for the photo.  That does confirm that that is an AGP slot and not a PCI-Express slot.  So the card you bought would NOT work in your computer - you should return it.

Since you had said you weren't sure which slot you had, I wanted to try to save you the hassle of returning the card if it turned out to be the one you needed.  Thanks for clarifying.

It'd probably be cheaper and more worth it to build a new PC instead of trying to hunt for an AGP GPU. I can't even imagine how rare those things are now.

If I didn't need it, and it was more powerful (and capable of 3D gaming), I'd give you my nVIDIA RIVA TNT2, but you told me the games you want to play and that card isn't designed with 3D in mind. The one I have isn't even actively cooled, it has a heatsink with no fans (ergo, passively cooled.)

Ohh - That's a tricky one. Let me feed you my best knowledge on building a computer.

1. Buy pre-made computer.

2. Set computer on fire.

3. Watch it burn.

4. Realise you can no longer use Skype.

5. Cry.

6. Buy new computer.