Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy Sketch

--Rainbow-Dash--

The main thing you need to work on is drawing snouts.... And curves... It's not BAD bad but.. I'm scared of it.

xD I said in my previous post of rainbow dash, that I was bad at drawing, I just tried to draw something I'm familiar with. Also it might look bad because I'm using a mechanical pencil and a not so good eraser.

Ya I would advise against using a mechanical pencil for an entire drawing, only use it for tiny details that need a really really sharp pencil to draw. It makes it look.....scratchy. This drawing is bad, but not just for that reason. If you're goal is to match the reference image, than you'll want it to look as much like the reference image as possible. I'm sure you can see that it's very very off overall in terms of accuracy.

One trick to help is to look at the drawing in a mirror, because a mirrored view will show you proportional problems that you may not have been able to see otherwise, so even if you think it's right, it could be wrong. Though, if you're being completely honest with yourself when you judge your piece, you should be able to tell, without having to look in the mirror, that it's wrong. Something will seem off, the mirror will make it much easier to see. Eventually you should be able to train yourself to not need the mirror anymore (either it's a matter of needing to train your eye to see what the mirror can see without having to look in the mirror, or to stop lying to yourself that there's nothing wrong when there is).

Also, when drawing, look at the reference image as frequently as you can, in order to keep the memory fresh in your mind. Like every 1-2 seconds look at the reference.

So ya basically keep trying until your drawing looks exactly like the reference image, proportions are the one thing in art that needs to be perfect (unless it's not meant to look perfectly proportionate....but than perfection would be imperfection in that case).

Ya I would advise against using a mechanical pencil for an entire drawing, only use it for tiny details that need a really really sharp pencil to draw. It makes it look.....scratchy. This drawing is bad, but not just for that reason. If you're goal is to match the reference image, than you'll want it to look as much like the reference image as possible. I'm sure you can see that it's very very off overall in terms of accuracy.

One trick to help is to look at the drawing in a mirror, because a mirrored view will show you proportional problems that you may not have been able to see otherwise, so even if you think it's right, it could be wrong. Though, if you're being completely honest with yourself when you judge your piece, you should be able to tell, without having to look in the mirror, that it's wrong. Something will seem off, the mirror will make it much easier to see. Eventually you should be able to train yourself to not need the mirror anymore (either it's a matter of needing to train your eye to see what the mirror can see without having to look in the mirror, or to stop lying to yourself that there's nothing wrong when there is).

Also, when drawing, look at the reference image as frequently as you can, in order to keep the memory fresh in your mind. Like every 1-2 seconds look at the reference.

So ya basically keep trying until your drawing looks exactly like the reference image, proportions are the one thing in art that needs to be perfect (unless it's not meant to look perfectly proportionate....but than perfection would be imperfection in that case).

I do not have many (any) drawing pencils so my mechanical pencil is all I have. I tried doing the thing I saw in some tutorials and drew circles for the head the chest and flank, on this picture, on my other one, however (http://mlpforums.com/topic/84994-rainbow-dash-sketch/) I didnt notice how elongated I had made it until after I was done, but I'm sure even the best artists had trouble at first.

It also help to work backwards so I've read.

And anytime I have tried to use the correct way if drawing for example the circles you where talking about my drawings come out worse. I have no idea why but it's true.

Just practice practice practice.

:)