Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art New painting, and a question

Longhaul

This is the painting I did this evening, and I wanted to share it with you.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/047/e/3/tranquil_sunset_by_mrposslq-d76t211.jpg

(I don't know how to resize pictures on here so I'm posting a link)

And my question:  I've been asked about selling my paintings.  Personally, I don't think they're good enough to sell in the first place, and the cost would be incredible just for me to break even, never mind make a small profit.  Any thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

Do what you love. If you post a painting and someone wishes to purchase it and you come to a price you can live with, go ahead and sell. Don't paint with the mindset of "can I sell this", though. It will take the joy of creating from the process. If you do what you like doing and someone offers to pay you for it, that's fabulous. If you never sell a painting, but just create for the love of creating, that's fabulous, as well.

I think we all know people who are creative and produce artwork that we find beautiful (even if the artist thinks it's "not good enough") who start trying to make their artwork have commercial appeal and pretty soon, they aren't doing what they love anymore. They are working to produce something "marketable" and they're miserable. I'd urge you not to go down that road. Not because your work "isn't good enough", but because you should create what you love.

No, I believe Detective Butler is correct in his assessment. I am, after all, nothing more than a mimic when it comes to what I do -- I see it, I try to reproduce it. I have absolutely no business trying to sell my paintings no matter what anyone says.  I also suspect that I've hit the plateau as far as development of what few skills I have.  I suspect I'll be scaling back  a bit, and anything I do I may share at the usual outlets, but actual sales are out of the question.  Especially since it would cost more than they're worth/people would be willing to pay,