Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Have BronyDar? (Brony Radar) Being Able To "Spot" a Brony

GXPBlast

I can tell based on colors of clothing and how they act. If they're into nerdy things and seem to bring up any uncommon but still discernible phrases mlp related such as "wub" then they probably are one.

(edited)

Yeah, I think a few people are bronies at my school... of course I'm not going to ask unless I know for sure though... I don't really want to insult them if they really aren't one. ( If they take being a brony as a bad thing. )

If they seem very quirky, outgoing, (or shy), kind, and like nerdy things like anime and technology. Odds are they may be a brony.

What I did in these situations, I kind of casually brought of mlp to get a feel for them, and when the conversation gets pretty obvious that the person has some positive things to say about the show, they most likely will confirm to me that they are bronies when I asked them.

The ones that denied it were either closet bronies or just were not bronies at all. Either way all of the people who denied that they were a brony were really nice about it, not to aggressive.

But usually most of the time I was correct in my assumption of their bronyness which was later confirmed though our conversations

Edited by furgrid

I may actually be better at detecting bronies than I was a week ago, but I can't confirm it because I don't want to blow my cover.  References are very rare (if any) from where I'm from, so it can be tough.  I wish I was much better at it, but I just don't want to risk being known as a brony since it is highly stigmatized and I am not aware of friends that are bronies.  It would be so awesome if I could detect a brony only by clothing, personality, or some other quickly noticeable trait.

Im pretty alone being a brony... atleast where i live. Atleast i havent spotted any other brony due to them wearing something but i hope i do someday sad_pinkie_pie_by_brianc1006-d4hsona.png

Knowing another brony in my town would be kinda sweet, but for now i remain the only one with a fanatic obsesion about ponies

• 3 weeks later...

No but it sure would be nice,  i haven't met a single brony face to face yet. But my non brony friends have told me horror stories of bronys they met. Apparently im the only one they don't hate. (no offence)

They must be running into the typical stereotype of what a brony is.

The neck beard, overweight, loner, socially awkward nerd who lives in their parents basement.

Although not all bronies are like this, they do exist.

Oh well its all about love and tolerance. 

• Brohoof 1

They must be running into the typical stereotype of what a brony is.

The neck beard, overweight, loner, socially awkward nerd who lives in their parents basement.

Although not all bronies are like this, they do exist.

Oh well its all about love and tolerance. 

It seems that the open bronies are more likely to fit the stereotype, with the "extremist" convention-going bronies even more so.  The closet bronies are probably less likely to be stereotypical since they are more popular and want to protect their reputation.  It's just that most people are more exposed to 500lb basement-dwellers waddling around conventions than people who may bring it up nonchalantly.  Of course, normal people go to Bronycon and many neckbeard bronies tell no one.  However, it's just the way it is.

If they're wearing merch, I think it's pretty easy to spot. ^^

I know that's probably a derp thing xD

However, when Season 4 came out, a guy working at the mall asked me if I watch the premiere.

I squee'd and say yes! ^^

Twas a fun time! ^^

So I guess other people I've met have them. ^^"

It seems that the open bronies are more likely to fit the stereotype, with the "extremist" convention-going bronies even more so.  The closet bronies are probably less likely to be stereotypical since they are more popular and want to protect their reputation.  It's just that most people are more exposed to 500lb basement-dwellers waddling around conventions than people who may bring it up nonchalantly.  Of course, normal people go to Bronycon and many neckbeard bronies tell no one.  However, it's just the way it is.

I think its because those type of bronies have really nothing to lose, society already deems them outcasts and coming out as a brony would not really change that.

The "good looking" people that come out as bronies tend to remain closeted because those type of people are expected to be normal thus being a brony is a huge contradiction to that as society would expect the typical neckbeard stereotype to fit the brony label thus attacking judging the person even more negatively.

• Brohoof 1

LOL so everyone that wears a fedora you know is a brony? I know a dude who wears it because he thinks he looks like a news reporter

he isnt a brony though :P sry to disprove your theory that everyone w/ a fedora is a brony XD

LOL so everyone that wears a fedora you know is a brony? I know a dude who wears it because he thinks he looks like a news reporter

he isnt a brony though :P sry to disprove your theory that everyone w/ a fedora is a brony XD

No I am not saying every person that wears a fedora is a brony.

What I am saying is the fedora wearers I know have that typical quirky and geek personality happen to be bronies as well.

I do not mean to brag, but I was actually born with clairvoyance (you may know this as extra-sensory perception, or E.S.P.).

I have been able to identify a brony without mistake as of yet.

I do not mean to brag, but I was actually born with clairvoyance (you may know this as extra-sensory perception, or E.S.P.).

I'd hate for an anti-brony to be clairvoyant.  My cover would be blown! :D

I'd hate for an anti-brony to be clairvoyant.  My cover would be blown! :D

Yes that would suck big time lol. But I am sure they are out there sadly and I am sure they like to rip on bronies.  So far I have yet to run into them due to my very good closeting skills or I have just not encountered them.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you been able to spot a brony even if they are not wearing and merchandise or key phases? What subtle hints have you spotted in being able to find bronies?

Sometimes it can be simple for me to find other bronies.

I've found three of my brony friends when they wore pony related stuff. With all my other brony friends, I turned all of them into bronies  :P

Have you been able to spot a brony even if they are not wearing and merchandise or key phases? What subtle hints have you spotted in being able to find bronies?

That is what I mean: without merch and phrases.

One subtle hint is leaning towards introversion. Another key hint is when speaking, they talk less about negative subjects.

These, of course, are just hints. They do not always determine a brony, but there are many, many more hints.

I generally have to pick up on hints or flat out ask a person. I mean I stood next to a Brony in the card game section of a store eyeballing the MLP game, but not taking it because I was feeling selfconcious that day. Which is odd considering I'm normally like, "Hey world guess who loves cartoon horses meant for girls?" Finally he reached over picked up a pack and added it to his pile of MtG packs. Then I grabbed like 7 and was like, "Hi I like ponies too."