Somebody refused to sell me a FIM comic!

Rarity Paige Belle

After work today I went to my local comic store to buy issue 2 of MLP friends forever. However when I asked the guy behind the counter for it, he refused to sell it to me, saying he thought Bronies were weird! Needless to say, I had a few choice words with him.

Do you think I should go back and complain?

• Brohoof 14

That just sounds extremely petty and childish. 

I'm lucky here because the guys running my local shop don't think a thing of it(and I even have a monthly sub to it with them)

• Brohoof 7

Go back and complain. It's pointless to have comics in stock and refuse to sell them just because you think the fandom centered around it is weird. It's so petty and childish, and one would assume he'd sell it anyway despite his opinions, since you know...if you sell something, you make money, that's kind of how it works. 

• Brohoof 9

Complain to his manager. The guy doesn't know you're buying it for yourself (unless you made it obvious), how would he know if wasn't for your little sister or something.

• Brohoof 7

Really? Why have an item in stock if you're not going to let people buy it? That's just stupid.

Anyways, my comic store guys would never reject a customer for some stupid reason like thinking that "bronies are weird." You should definitely complain.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think you're all forgetting that OP is screwed and up shit creek in a leaky boat with no paddle if said asshole is the store owner. It's not like he's going to fire himself. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I think you're all forgetting that OP is screwed and up shit creek in a leaky boat with no paddle if said asshole is the store owner. It's not like he's going to fire himself.

He's not the boss. I've never seen this guy before, but I agree, why the hell work there if he doesn't want to sell me the merchandise!

• Brohoof 2

He's not the boss. I've never seen this guy before, but I agree, why the hell work there if he doesn't want to sell me the merchandise!

I honesty agree that's really damn petty to refuse you an item because he think your being a fan of it is weird. 

• Brohoof 1

Complain to his manager. The guy doesn't know you're buying it for yourself (unless you made it obvious), how would he know if wasn't for your little sister or something.

This. It's your best and only legal option.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, go tell the manager. I'd be very surprised if they let him get away with it since his actions would be cutting into the store's profits.

And if for some weird reason his boss backs him up, then well that store kind of deserves to lose business.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Yeah, I'll have to echo going back and complaining to someone in charge (provided said worker isn't the one in charge). As far as I'm aware, legally, he can't refuse you service without a good valid reason and "not liking the thing you like" is not a valid reason and could very well cost him his job. 

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, I'll have to echo going back and complaining to someone in charge (provided said worker isn't the one in charge). As far as I'm aware, legally, he can't refuse you service without a good valid reason and "not liking the thing you like" is not a valid reason and could very well cost him his job. 

I'm not too familiar with the laws in the UK, but it doesn't seem like what he's doing should be illegal, because bronies aren't a race or religion or sexual orientation.

The main thing would be that's it's just bad business, as they've burned a potential future customer over something dumb.

Does anyone else find it funny that the comic DOES actually seem to be geared more towards older fans and that's the MLP media he thinks it's weird for us to consume :D.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not too familiar with the laws in the UK, but it doesn't seem like what he's doing should be illegal, because bronies aren't a race or religion or sexual orientation.

The main thing would be that's it's just bad business, as they've burned a potential future customer over something dumb.

I think it goes beyond just burning a bridge with a customer.  There's a potential for bad word of mouth to spread.

If you didn't want to go to the hassle of complaining, you could just try to buy the comic when someone else is working or something.  Surely not everybody would refuse you.  Then again, I suppose complaining wouldn't be about getting the comic.  It'd be more about the principle of the situation.

Edited by Gyruss