Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

saving one, but condeming another

Sky Cutter

26 users have voted

1. 1. there is a train on a track, the track splits into two tracks, on one track are 11 workers, on the other are 3 workers, you cannot stop the train, and all the people are stuck where they are, you have two options

• Pull the lever and save 11 workers but kill 3
    • leave the lever and let the 11 die and the 3 others live
  2. 2. same as question one, unstoppable train 11 workers on one track, but on the other track, it a pregnant woman.

• pull the lever and kill da prego lady
    • not pull the lever and save the pregnant woman
  3. 3. further down on the track are 7 workers, standing next to you by the track is a man, there is only one way to stop the train and save the 7 workers, push the man on the track infront of the train which will kill him.

• push the man save the seven workers but kill the man
    • let the seven workers die
  4. 4. same as above but instead of 7 workers, it's a pregnant woman.

• push the man and kill him but save the pregnant woman
    • let the pregnant woman die
  5. 5. you can save your favorite pony, but you have to kill a pregnant woman by shoving her under a train

• save da pony
    • let the pony die

I'd be frozen with fear and terror and do nothing, so the one where I don't pull the lever would be the case all times. A pretty pathetic thing to admit, but I think I have to be honest when it comes to questions like this.

• Brohoof 2

These choices were pretty hard to make. Saving a person's life is important, as long as you save others and your own life. I made my choices because, I would want to save people but sacrificing something has to come first.

Might wanna check the second option of the second question. I want to kill the lever! :lol:

It's very easy to think sitting in a chair in front of a laptop while talking about ponies...

I remember these with a dog. We should make a version of this with ponies... Should net some interesting answers.

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 1

Might wanna check the second option of the second question. I want to kill the lever! :lol:

It's very easy to think sitting in a chair in front of a laptop while talking about ponies...

I remember these with a dog. We should make a version of this with ponies... Should net some interesting answers.

added a pony one because i thought you came up with a good idea

There. Answered again. I try to save the most people possible, since I know nothing about them, even if it takes a direct action harmful to another. And this is actually influential over my last answer.

Well, I do know something about my favorite pony. Celestia would want me to let the woman and baby remain alive, even at the cost of her life. Now excuse me while I find another train to throw myself under it...  :okiedokielokie:

Another thing I think I should say: my opinion (and I understand that I could be wrong) is that inaction is the worse course of action ( :huh:) because while I do think that I have no right to decide who lives and who dies, but by not doing anything, I'm deciding anyway, because the others will die too.

Edited by moonlightavenger

I wouldn't be pushing anyone onto the tracks because, first of all, how is a person under the circumstances supposed to know that murdering one person will save the rest?

I pretty much just weighed things by the amount of lives saved, not based on saving a pregnant woman's baby or anything because something may happen, who knows, maybe she has a miscarriage, and if she doesn't that's still 11 versus 2.

Difficult questions but I feel good with my decisions. Now, if I really was in any of these situations, the reality of the thing would probably be that I'm frozen in fear and unable to act.

By leaving it be, I'm taking no responsibility over the lives of others, who am I to choose? All of those people have family, friends, etc. I have NO RIGHT to pull the lever.

I've always come up with similar scenarios when I'm bored.

I honestly would first choose according to the number of lives at stake. Next I would choose according to how much each life was worth: I'm not saying 11 workers are worth less than a pregnant woman, but if I were ready to die and I was one of those workers, I would probably....well I'm not so sure about that...anyways, hopefully each of the workers is brave enough to sacrifice themselves for her and her unborn child (I'd rather not argue why I value this more).

I would not make anyone do something they wouldn't want to do, so I wouldn't push the man (up to a certain point at least).

I'd cringe if the pregnant woman was at stake.

Lastly....Derpy (or Pinkie Pie)  :( ? What do I do?!

Edited by Super80 Wolf

all of these i'd pull the lever half way and make the rain derail, leave it up to fate...if it's a cargo train that is

as for 3 & 4 i'd throw myself in front, if their life can avert the disaster shouldn't mine work just as well? i'd die knowing I saved people

Assuming I don't know any of them- save the 11 workers in both cases because it's more lives.

I would let the 7 and the pregnant women die because I don't want to be responsible for killing the other man. 

Yeah, I'm not killing a pregnant women for a pony. 

Eh he he, d'you know what's interesting about this?

At no point does it say that the train is actually moving, it only says that it's on the track XD

I for one would just help everyone off of the track (regardless of whatever brought them there in the first place :3) and take my favourite pony home with me for snuggles :yay:

Usually when I hear this sort of question come up, I hear people try to come up with some third option where everyone lives, but that isn't the purpose of the question. The idea of the question is that someone will die, and sacrificing yourself is not an option, and you have a small window of time to decide who dies. Avoiding the core of the question is not an answer. Additionally, in the question, you are forced into responsibility, by your action or inaction people death will be allocated, avoiding responsibility is the same as killing the default party.

That being said, I voted based on number. I don't like the idea of murder at all, but if it is going to happen no matter what I do (or don't do), I would rather minimize harm. In this situation, with only a split second to decide, my reaction in the situation may not hold true to this if it actually somehow happened, and hesitation is no different from choosing not to act.

• Brohoof 2

By leaving it be, I'm taking no responsibility over the lives of others, who am I to choose? All of those people have family, friends, etc. I have NO RIGHT to pull the lever.

Choosing not to choose is a choice. So your choice is killing 11 people.

And who are you to choose? Well given the situation you are the guy with a heavy responsibility.

Usually when I hear this sort of question come up, I hear people try to come up with some third option where everyone lives, but that isn't the purpose of the question. The idea of the question is that someone will die, and sacrificing yourself is not an option, and you have a small window of time to decide who dies. Avoiding the core of the question is not an answer. Additionally, in the question, you are forced into responsibility, by your action or inaction people death will be allocated, avoiding responsibility is the same as killing the default party.

That being said, I voted based on number. I don't like the idea of murder at all, but if it is going to happen no matter what I do (or don't do), I would rather minimize harm. In this situation, with only a split second to decide, my reaction in the situation may not hold true to this if it actually somehow happened, and hesitation is no different from choosing not to act.

But even if it IS a hypothetical circumstance, can you really blame people for not wanting to dwell on what happens? :/

But even if it IS a hypothetical circumstance, can you really blame people for not wanting to dwell on what happens? :/

Yes. The whole point is to force the difficult question, to make you really think. If all the answer does is avoid the question, you are wasting your own time.

Unless it's a productive answer, in which case it suddenly becomes inappropriately fun

A productive answer is one that forces you to truly question your morals. Edited by Frith is Magick

Yes. The whole point is to force the difficult question, to make you really think. If all the answer does is avoid the question, you are wasting your own time.

Unless it's a productive answer, in which case it suddenly becomes inappropriately fun :P

"ah man, fuck this pregnant woman in particular. I'LL SAVE YOU PINKIE!"

Edit: I'd like to see another example where your best friend is on one side of the track, and a pregnant woman is on the other- it would be interesting to see how the majority of people would deal with that one ;)

Edited by Clockwork Chaos