Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long have those SpongeBob comparisons been brought up in this fandom?

GuillermoGage

...How long, and how often, pessimistically or otherwise? I'd like to hear personal experience!

I'm curious about having a more precise idea of the SpongeBob SquarePants comparisons and how long they've been occuring for.

I got into the show at the end of 2011, and by 2012, I was, like many typical Bronies, predicting that this cartoon would only last so long before declining in quality and being run into the ground. And obviously cited SpongeBob.

"Go the way of SpongeBob" is practically a catchphrase for this fandom.

But I was a fan of the first three seasons, and theatrical Movie, of that cartoon series... and definitely give it the appreciation and laughs it deserves.

But does that comparison ever get tiring to hear?

Well, we are probably gonna hear more and more of it if the show really does become a Long Runner/get run into the ground.

Navigation

• Brohoof 1

Like any overused phrase, I suppose eventually one can grow tired of it. But it does some up how a series can be over market and monitized in todays current media. It is more of a weary example, showing the buyer and fan how a series that was amazing, can be dragged on to the point were ending would be better than continuing. Another example of this would be the simpsons, save their most recent "lego" episode, the simpsons has carried on to the point were they have done everything they can do in their scope. So they end up re-hashing plot points they have already done, regressing character growth they have already progressed through. While the phrase can become grating, it is a very wise cautionary tale of how you can have to much of a good thing.

Is this the reason they had a live rubber chicken and alligator in Pinkie Pride?

And I agree about the Simpsons. I was in denial for a few years. Sigh

It's one of those phrases that people say where they think that shows that have been aired over a long duration of time, will go stale or lose quality after a while. Hopefully, these phrases go away.

Will the show eventually grow old and stale, yes. Nothing lasts forever at its best. Even if it stays just as good, we will grow old of it. Things need to change, but eventually it will die. I think the show is perfect right now. Maybe stop giving the ponies these transformations (EQG, Rainbow power, breezies, etc) but otherwise the show is fine. Spongebob became so popular that it had to live up to a reputation/expectation. The show is just gay innuendos and stupid humor, whereas in the past it was clever innuendos and witty, but stupid humor.

MLP will stay strong for a few more seasons, and then fade away. BUT, hopefully the fandom will stay strong through it all.

Spongebob became so popular that it had to live up to a reputation/expectation. The show is just gay innuendos and stupid humor, whereas in the past it was clever innuendos and witty, but stupid humor.

Witty, but stupid. That is a combination?

Ehh I lost interest in spong bob years ago xD

They have like, so many episodes. You can't say a shows gonna be like the Simpsons anymore and go super long, you gotta say spongebob now lol.

Witty, but stupid. That is a combination?

I think it can be. Spongebob jokes are stupid low brow humor for the most part. But they used to be veiled back then and you had to think for a few seconds to what the actual meaning was. Now days they are straight forward with their jokes intentions and meanings. Example of a few old jokes that had you thinking for more than a second. The dabloons that spongebob ives gary so he will take a bath are soap bars and this dialogue is said. "Look, Dabloons. Don't drop them." The common consensuses is that spongebob was making a prison rape joke. I don't watch spongebob anymore but I havent heard any recent jokes be anywhere near as risque or clever as that.