I guess we can forget about deer appearing in MLP as a seperate race

Plonkett

Actually, no we can't

post-30649-0-58750000-1422520268_thumb.png

This was in the latest issue of the IDW comics. I sincerely hope that they will bring them into the show, or hell as the comics are doing it, maybe there just advertising a deer episode in season 5, similar to Over A Barrel which had the buffalo. I think its likely as season 4 started introducing new races such as Breezies and they have adapted many fan things into cannon, such as Flutterbat and now the background ponies names. I think they know that we want deer and they probably think its a good plan, Faust said that she would have done them if she had continued.

I think its extremely unlikely that deer won't be sentient, I mean cows are sentient and their kept in pens.

Edited by Arctofire
  • Brohoof 3

I would say something about solid hooves vs. split hooves, but we've had species with split hooves talk.

I for one can see an episode about Hearth's Warming Eve story regarding Santa Hooves, the Magic Reindeer.

• Brohoof 1

"It's like I found a piece of myself I didn't even know was missing!"

How do you think WE feel?!

• 1 month later...

When taking the comics into considerdation it still has to be noted that they're B-canon; IE canon unless the show says otherwise. However, the example of the Diamons Dogs and Winona is a VERY good point in regards to deer as a sapient species within the rules of FiM.

One thing that can be noted is that ponies (and I would assume other species like griffins) have have centuries and millenia of time in regards to development of culture, history, technology, and so on. On the other hand we have the comic deer who live in a similar sense to the elves in Tokien's works of Mirkwood & Lothlorien, so it could be possible that they have only developed their sapience somewhat recently; or they're an older race that just does things differently.

So yeah; it is perfectly within the realm of possibility that both sapient and non-sapient deer species exist and they just diverged somewhere in time.

Also, I've noticed that some people didn't like the deer in the comics; in how they treated the Mane 6 and their disgust of progression. I enjoyed it myself. ^^

• Brohoof 1

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

well vgmaster9 there's always the lack of continuity so maybe they could become sentient I mean the cows are sentient so why not other hoofed animals? The cow sentience made Boast Busters awkward but oh well more sentience=more characters! :derp:

The comics have already been proven as non-canon to the show, basically an expanded universe. I doubt the writers even take notice.

As someone who has drawn deer characters in the past and seen deer to probably be the most popular non-canon species for OCs, I was a bit disappointed by the one in "Filli Vanilli" and I'd love to see a deer culture explored in MLP. But it's all up to the show, and the comics really are no indication whether or not it will happen in the show.

The comic's designs, I must say, are drop-dead gorgeous, just like some of the great deer OCs I've seen. I hope the story's good enough.

• Brohoof 1

Good. I really, really don't want IDW getting any legitimate recognition from the show just because of how much most of their comics suck in terms of characterization of...err, everyone, pretty much. Just the abysmal quality of their writing in general, really.

I'd like to use this picture as another example of something that's wrong with the comics and why they shouldn't be brought into the show's canon:

852363__safe_princess+celestia_edit_big+

I don't like the comics. At all, honestly. I hate them, even. I just want to get that out there.

Putting that aside, I see all sorts of off-kilter continuity that doesn't need to fit into the show, fan pandering galore, horrible representations of the show's original characters while putting the comics' original characters in the glory light..hey, look, it's about 90% of all fanfictions everywhere.

Just good, honestly. Keep 'em separate for quality's sake.

• Brohoof 3

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Good. I really, really don't want IDW getting any legitimate recognition from the show just because of how much most of their comics suck in terms of characterization of...err, everyone, pretty much. Just the abysmal quality of their writing in general, really.

I'd like to use this picture as another example of something that's wrong with the comics and why they shouldn't be brought into the show's canon:

img-3614390-1-852363__safe_princess%20ce

I don't like the comics. At all, honestly. I hate them, even. I just want to get that out there.

Putting that aside, I see all sorts of off-kilter continuity that doesn't need to fit into the show, fan pandering galore, horrible representations of the show's original characters while putting the comics' original characters in the glory light..hey, look, it's about 90% of all fanfictions everywhere.

Just good, honestly. Keep 'em separate for quality's sake.

Not to mention what they had done to poor Rarity

843877__safe_rarity_comic_spike_idw_spoi

852300__safe_rarity_applejack_idw_spoile

• Brohoof 1

Not to mention what they had done to poor Rarity

843877__safe_rarity_comic_spike_idw_spoi

852300__safe_rarity_applejack_idw_spoile

I dunno; that characterization never really bothered me. These guys are at least better than Trenderhoof...

• Brohoof 2

Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~

I dunno; that characterization never really bothered me. These guys are at least better than Trenderhoof...

Sorry, but I think it's insulting to her Personality to have a Crush on every good looking Male (doesn't even need to be a Pony) for some cheap "Gag". I mean she flirted with those two Stallions in "Best Night Ever", but she was using them to pull the Cart.

But I give you that... they're way better than Trenderhoof.

Sorry, but I think it's insulting to her Personality to have a Crush on every good looking Male (doesn't even need to be a Pony) for some cheap "Gag". I mean she flirted with those two Stallions in "Best Night Ever", but she was using them to pull the Cart.

But I give you that... they're way better than Trenderhoof.

I don't see why people are so against it myself. Aside from maybe one or two cases, I thought Rarity was more attracted to more than looks in these cases. The Sheriff proved himself capable; not to mention Blackthorne was a capable leader in Aspen's absence so I can see Rarity's attraction there.

However I will agree that not all of the bits of humor was appropriate for the situation. That's been a problem the last few arcs have had, though I've had less problems out of Rarity's attractions than I've had from the odd joke here and there.

Your mileage may vary though. :)

• Brohoof 1

When taking the comics into considerdation it still has to be noted that they're B-canon; IE canon unless the show says otherwise. However, the example of the Diamons Dogs and Winona is a VERY good point in regards to deer as a sapient species within the rules of FiM.

One thing that can be noted is that ponies (and I would assume other species like griffins) have have centuries and millenia of time in regards to development of culture, history, technology, and so on. On the other hand we have the comic deer who live in a similar sense to the elves in Tokien's works of Mirkwood & Lothlorien, so it could be possible that they have only developed their sapience somewhat recently; or they're an older race that just does things differently.

So yeah; it is perfectly within the realm of possibility that both sapient and non-sapient deer species exist and they just diverged somewhere in time.

Also, I've noticed that some people didn't like the deer in the comics; in how they treated the Mane 6 and their disgust of progression. I enjoyed it myself. ^^

Yeah it just occured to me. Plus, I'd like some of the creatures shown in the comic to appear in the show, like the fire snail in the newer friends forever issue.

Also, part of me thinks that the writers chose to show those deer as non sapient in that episode just to spite all the people making deer OCs.

What I don't get are how some animals are domestic/wild, but then we have animals like ponies and mythical creatures that talk and act human like. I guess it would get annoying if EVERY animal talked haha. However, it just doesn't make any sense to me at the slightest, logically speaking.

ℓ٥ﻻ  ﻉ√٥υ