Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I guess we can forget about deer appearing in MLP as a seperate race

Plonkett

I just realized that in the episode in the episode "Filli Vanilli", two deer are shown in a pen,

thumb.gif

They have very small eyes and aren't like sapient beings. I guess that makes it safe to say that deer are just regular wildlife in the MLP-verse, along with other cervines. Maybe perytons could appear as the sapient version of cervines perhaps?

• Brohoof 4

Why would it matter and why did you suspect that deer should be sapient in this show?

I can assure you that it would matter A LOT for the RP world ;)

A very, very lot lot.

• Brohoof 6

Why would it matter and why did you suspect that deer should be sapient in this show?

Well given how many deer OCs exist out there, who HASN'T suspected deer to be sapient?

• Brohoof 1

Well, cows and sheep are sapient, so deer aren't that much of a stretch. In fact, if I recall correctly the only hooved race that appears in the show that ISN'T sapient are pigs. And hell, who's to say that there are two kinds of deer: the normal deer like in Filli Vanilli, and sapient deer? Sure, it would be painfully awkward when the two meet and incredibly improbable, but hell, we have living snowstorms of spite, improbable is the norm.

Edited by ClockworkForge
  • Brohoof 4

Oh speaking of which, did you guys ever hear the viking caribou idea?

Nope, what of it?

Well, cows and sheep are sapient, so deer aren't that much of a stretch. In fact, if I recall correctly the only hooved race that appears in the show that ISN'T sapient are pigs. And hell, who's to say that there are two kinds of deer: the normal deer like in Filli Vanilli, and sapient deer? Sure, it would be painfully awkward when the two meet and incredibly improbable, but hell, we have living snowstorms of spite, improbable is the norm.

I've been thinking of a sapient version of pigs, them basically being boars.

Nope, what of it?

Lauren Faust visited Ponychan a year or so back, and when asked about ideas for the show that she never got to realize, she said she wanted to include viking caribou at some point.

Not to brag, but she also answered one of my questions! :D

• Brohoof 2

There are more than 1 kind of deer IRL.  Maybe some are sapient & some are not.  Also, AJ has been shown herding cattle & sheep.  Just because the deer were in a pen doesn't mean they are nonsapient. (EQ may have a dark side -or why would they have pigs?)

• Brohoof 1

In my Ponyfinder roleplay I have deer be in may ways like the elves in most fantasy settings. A introverted race with a strong connection to nature and with their own type of magic, insulated and often unfriendly to outsiders. Laughs

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Hmm, I think there could be sapient and non-sapient deer

I mean, if Disney did it.....

img-3423321-1-goofy-and-pluto.jpg

This! You wouldn't be the first to compare Goofy and Pluto for the sake of making a point like this. Far from it in fact, but you're right.
  • Brohoof 2

Not really remember we already have Diamond Dogs:

img-1142023-2-tumblr_m4k507Ll7M1r8k5p5o1

and regular old dogs like Winona:

W17.gif

And that's just 1 example in the show.

Besides if tauren can exists in the same world as cows, why can't the same be done here, or for any case?

• Brohoof 5

I always thought that the show was avoiding sapient deer because... well... you know... *Nods his head to the side, towards the even worse part of Fimfiction.net* That.

Still, showing actual awesome viking deer in the show would blow that fanon right out of the water.

Equestrian Scholar  Zebras already have a different type of magic than unicorns, or at least Zeccora can cast some spells without a horn.  What is interesting is that IRL, male deer have horns & females don't.  If horns are necessary for magic (or at least make it easier), then almost all spell casters would be male.  +Deer shed their horns, which means part of the year they have easy access & part not.

Liznocanon45  Spike often rides Twilight & in "Dog & Pony Show" the Diamond Dogs try to ride some of the Mane 6.  It could be that horse back riding in EQ is like, say, Break The Camels Back (or Buck, Buck or whatever you call it).  AJ seemed to take it like a challenge, so it could be like those bull riding machines in red neck bars.

But, if there are sapient deer in EQ, then they have to be far from Ponyville & Canterlot or else at least a few would have been wandering around somewhere.

I would be interested to see if there are an sentient deer or elk in the show. Personally, I'd love to see some sentient caribou living in the arctic maybe. I always sort of had a head cannon that Equestria was just one country on a alien planet of many continents, and many different species live on that planet, but the ponies are the controlling life form (given Celestia and Luna raise and lower the sun). So while deer may be nothing more than regular wildlife in Equestria, there might be other continents on the planet where cervidae might be intelligent. 

img-3423923-2-W17.gif

Besides if tauren can exists in the same world as cows, why can't the same be done here, or for any case?

Winona actually came through the portal from Canterlot High.

DUN DUN DUUUUUN.

img-3423923-2-W17.gif

That is a good observation, we'll see then.

You could common deer but maybe some of the bigger deer such as Elk could

be smart and have a culture of their own and etc!   Sad thing is we don't get to

see many other races and cultures in FIM which makes me a bit sad over all....

I just realized that in the episode in the episode "Filli Vanilli", two deer are shown in a pen,

img-3423160-1-thumb.gif

They have very small eyes and aren't like sapient beings. I guess that makes it safe to say that deer are just regular wildlife in the MLP-verse, along with other cervines. Maybe perytons could appear as the sapient version of cervines perhaps?

that's quite odd :S but then ponies have pets which is also quite odd :P

• 2 weeks later...

Speak of Tartarus. Sapient deer are actually a thing at least in the official comics now.

Several deer appear in the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #27 and#28 story arc The Root of the Problem. Among their number include King Aspen, the leader of the village and the "Heart of the Forest"; Bramble, King Aspen's son; and Blackthorn.

The deer live in a village called Thicket deep in the Everfree Forest. There they share a close relationship with the animals and nature, and they use magical potions harvested from the earth and forest plants.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Root_of_the_Problem

This was just very recently too, about the same time that folks were talking about deer as a sapient race. Maybe the writers read our minds? It also seems that the ponies have a poor track record with other races. Tsk.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Root_of_the_Problem

In my Ponyfinder roleplay I have deer be in may ways like the elves in most fantasy settings. A introverted race with a strong connection to nature and with their own type of magic, insulated and often unfriendly to outsiders. Laughs

Your fanon is pretty spot on to what the comics are showing thus far. 

180px-Comic_issue_27_Deer.png

That's King Aspen by the way.

Edited by Cwanky
  • Brohoof 3