Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unpopular opinions about MLP?

JeyWiz

18 hours ago, Hadrien said:

That's the thing. After her reformation, she never was really as snarky as she was before. Like yeah she stood up to Twilight sometimes and make snarky remarks about the weirdness of it all, but she always felt subservient to Twilight most of the time. Her realtion with Spike was enjoyable, kind of like the "new hire" vs the "old man" at the job of being under Twilight.

I would agree. Starlight Glimmer's character as a whole felt fairly ill-defined after Cutie Re-Mark. Her brainwashing Our Town is brought up a lot after the fact, but this only really matters in Shadow Play. I did actually enjoy Starlight's role there, and I would still consider her a net positive overall in the series. Even so, I don't think i ever warmed to her the way I did to the Mane Six and Spike, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, or any of the other major characters.

I think they felt unimportant just because we knew it wasn't the thing that really mattered, and the fact Discord was there. Discord's the closest one that achieved a true "victory" against the Mane Six by turning their elements against themselves and everyone knows Sombra didn't stood a chance against him for real. But when you think about what Sombra wanted to achieve, he actually did a lot in the S9 Premier. He took advantage of the fact the sisters were gone to stage his return, and "almost" had it. For a villain, that's as close as we can get.

it's likely as good as what could be realistically allowed, but Beginning of the End in general just felt awfully silly and insincere to me. Everything about the story, to the melodramatic tone, the goofy decisions such as the Royal Sisters battling the Everfree Forest vines and leaving their capital defenseless, and Sombra's defeat being so quick and easy after everything he did made it all ring hollow. I do appreciate the fact that he was allowed to actually do something at least, but it did not make me like Sombra any more than I already did; quite the opposite, really.

I wasn't a fan of the security protocol fact, I'll give you that. It really was inconsequential. But the Royal Problem did show a part of their dynamic I enjoyed : The fact that even after all they went through with Nightmare Night, when the routine sets in, you go back to your old habits. Celestia never really understood what Luna did and vice-versa. All they did was assume things about the other, and fought with those resentement, which in turn would lead to Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker all over again. But after that episode, they should've learned their lessons for good, since they *now* know what the other *really* does. Beside that, I agree with you that the more regal and measured aspect of them both was better suited for the show, I'm not a fan of the eccentricities (maaaaaaybe juuuuust a little). Which is why I don't like the plot point of them retireing in the last season, there really was no point to that beside putting Twilight on the throne for *reasons*. 

I am actually fine with Royal Problem in a vacuum; I am not a huge fan of the sisters' behavior in that episode, but them still struggling to truly understand each other makes sense at the very least. My issues start after that episode, where almost every time they appear together, they are fighting about something. They seem to have it out for each other more than Dante and Vergil. As for the retirement plot point... I don't completely loathe it honestly, but the earlier drafts of Season 9 had them ascending to a higher plane of existence, which would have been a bit silly, but it would make Twilight needing to step up more sensible. As is, it just seemed that the sisters were lazy and eager to pass the responsibilities onto someone else.

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, The Recherche said:

I did actually enjoy Starlight's role there, and I would still consider her a net positive overall in the series.

That's for sure, she adds a little something that I very much enjoy.

it's likely as good as what could be realistically allowed, but Beginning of the End in general just felt awfully silly and insincere to me. Everything about the story, to the melodramatic tone, the goofy decisions such as the Royal Sisters battling the Everfree Forest vines and leaving their capital defenseless, and Sombra's defeat being so quick and easy after everything he did made it all ring hollow. I do appreciate the fact that he was allowed to actually do something at least, but it did not make me like Sombra any more than I already did; quite the opposite, really.

Understandable. The last season kind of fumbled a lot on trying to wrap everything up nice and neat, but didn't made a whole lot of sense in terms of character decisions.

I am actually fine with Royal Problem in a vacuum; I am not a huge fan of the sisters' behavior in that episode, but them still struggling to truly understand each other makes sense at the very least. My issues start after that episode, where almost every time they appear together, they are fighting about something. As for the retirement plot point... I don't completely loathe it honestly, but the earlier drafts of Season 9 had them ascending to a higher plane of existence, which would have been a bit silly, but it would make Twilight needing to step up more sensible. As is, it just seemed that the sisters were lazy and eager to pass the responsibilities onto someone else.

Yeah, after the Royal Problem, they should've know better. And yeah, them ascending to Royal Godhood would've been silly indeed, but maybe it could've work if they somehow lost some of their power over time and needed to pass the throne to someone who can actually keep it ? But then again my problem stems from the fact that I don't like them leaving at all, and I dislike Twilight stepping in their shoes even less, so that wouldn't have solved anything hahaha.

They seem to have it out for each other more than Dante and Vergil.

Wait, wait, wait. Stop. Did you just make a Divine Comedy joke ? For me ? That was reaaaaaaally good :laugh: And one of my cat is named Vergil, because I love this story so much, so points for you for knowing your audience. Not only are you a great reviewer and analyst, you're quite the scholar too :o:-P

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Hadrien said:

Yeah, after the Royal Problem, they should've know better. And yeah, them ascending to Royal Godhood would've been silly indeed, but maybe it could've work if they somehow lost some of their power over time and needed to pass the throne to someone who can actually keep it ? But then again my problem stems from the fact that I don't like them leaving at all, and I dislike Twilight stepping in their shoes even less, so that wouldn't have solved anything hahaha.

Indeed, it seems like the whole 'retirement' idea for the Royal Sisters was ill-conceived from the word go. It could have worked; Twilight was meant to be Celestia's successor in the beginning anyhow, but what we got was... questionable. The Last Problem was at least good enough to forgive that issue, if nothing else.

4 hours ago, Hadrien said:

Wait, wait, wait. Stop. Did you just make a Divine Comedy joke ? For me ? That was reaaaaaaally good :laugh: And one of my cat is named Vergil, because I love this story so much, so points for you for knowing your audience. Not only are you a great reviewer and analyst, you're quite the scholar too :o:-P

Ooooh, good guess. :D I was however thinking of one of its derivatives, being the Dante and Vergil from Devil May Cry. If you're unfamiliar with them, the short version is that they are two half-demon brothers who are always eager to get in fights to the death with each other. Doesn't sound very far off from Celestia and Luna from the later seasons, no?

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, The Recherche said:

Ooooh, good guess. :D I was however thinking of one of its derivatives, being the Dante and Vergil from Devil May Cry. If you're unfamiliar with them, the short version is that they are two half-demon brothers who are always eager to get in fights to the death with each other. Doesn't sound very far off from Celestia and Luna from the later seasons, no?

Aaaaaah, yes. Devil May Cry. I mean, some of it is based on the characters from the Divine Comedy. Dante and Vergil were always fighting in that story too hahaha. :blink::manic-laughter:

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

I feel like some of the fan service in the later seasons was a bit too much.

I agree with this, and I will go a step further as well. Much of the fanservice came across as ways for them to weasel their way out of paying attention to characters' individual arcs. That may sound odd, but the simplest example I can give is Trivial Pursuit. The entire episode is full of call-backs to past episodes: Zap-Apples. Ghastly Gorge, Cutie Pox, Daring Do, Tirek and Scorpan, Snowfall Frost, and a few other lore bits are referenced throughout the episode. This is also the upteenth episode where Twilight spazzes out, even after learning how to control herself 5 seasons ago. Even with that aside, Twilight relapses on her perfectionism as well, when this was literally covered 11 episodes prior.

These kinds of things are why I just did not enjoy Season 9 very much. Some character regression is acceptable now and then, but this just happened way too many times in latter-day FiM. Especially since most of the time, it seems they weren't even aware that the characters were regressing in the first place. Season 5 Twilight Sparkle feels like a more complete character than Season 9 Twilight Sparkle does at times.

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, The Recherche said:

I agree with this, and I will go a step further as well. Much of the fanservice came across as ways for them to weasel their way out of paying attention to characters' individual arcs. That may sound odd, but the simplest example I can give is Trivial Pursuit. The entire episode is full of call-backs to past episodes: Zap-Apples. Ghastly Gorge, Cutie Pox, Daring Do, Tirek and Scorpan, Snowfall Frost, and a few other lore bits are referenced throughout the episode. This is also the upteenth episode where Twilight spazzes out, even after learning how to control herself 5 seasons ago. Even with that aside, Twilight relapses on her perfectionism as well, when this was literally covered 11 episodes prior.

These kinds of things are why I just did not enjoy Season 9 very much. Some character regression is acceptable now and then, but this just happened way too many times in latter-day FiM. Especially since most of the time, it seems they weren't even aware that the characters were regressing in the first place. Season 5 Twilight Sparkle feels like a more complete character than Season 9 Twilight Sparkle does at times.

Yep you pretty much nailed it perfectly. I think it was just a mix of them running out of ideas and creativity and trying to cater to the huge fan base of older fans they had. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Never cared about the fandom names for Limestone Pie and Moeh Poneh, before their official names were shown. I don’t even know which names were assigned to :scoots:

They all had the names of the PAC Man ghosts. Marble and Limestone were Inky and Blinky, the parents were Clyde and Sue. Maude then came out of nowhere and threw a wrench at things 

I, fucking LOVE McFlurry :wub:

image.thumb.png.92a41d2d17c582f8fd01d991f99f5618.png

23 hours ago, Megas said:

They all had the names of the PAC Man ghosts. Marble and Limestone were Inky and Blinky, the parents were Clyde and Sue. Maude then came out of nowhere and threw a wrench at things 

Oh, I get it, Pinkie because of Pinky, the pink ghost :lookup:. I don’t get the Sue tho :huh:. Stil, it would be nice if at least one of said ghosts in Ghostly Adventures shared a voice with  a Pie family member. The closest would be Cylindria, but she’s neither a ghost, nor a classic Pac-Man character :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I, fucking LOVE McFlurry :wub:

image.thumb.png.92a41d2d17c582f8fd01d991f99f5618.png

Oh, I get it, Pinkie because of Pinky, the pink ghost :lookup:. I don’t get the Sue tho :huh:. Stil, it would be nice if at least one of said ghosts in Ghostly Adventures shared a voice with  a Pie family member. The closest would be Cylindria, but she’s neither a ghost, nor a classic Pac-Man character :scoots:

Sue was in Ms PAC Man taking Clyde’s place

• Brohoof 1

I like the songs, but the unreleased background music for FiM TV Series and EQG composed by William Anderson with that amazing leitmotif continuity is what really stands out for me, hearing things like Nightmare Moon's theme from the series' first two episodes returning for Luna in A Canterlot Wedding, or the 3 villains themes from S2, S4, S8 including Sombra's from S3 returning for Season 9, it really made my hair stand on end, watching FiM and expecting to hear in a episode past themes return or new ones to show up was truly a very fun experience for me (and made me a bit disappointed with the 2017 movie's score lol), Benjamin Pinkerton's and Sean James Boyer's work in TyT and MyM has been great so far too despite they not being able to do much due to G5's different goal with the small world and character roster, I really liked Heitor Pereira's score for A New Generation too. Truly a shame none of these (except for Daniel Ingram's score for movie 2017) ever got to see a official release...

• Brohoof 3