Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Apologies Aren't Always Enough (Prologue)

~SadisticFluttershy~

Can also read it here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/243126/apologies-arent-always-enough.

After reading, tell me your thoughts! :)

-Shy

-----------

In Canterlot City Hospital, an unconscious, fiery red and yellow haired teenager by the name of Sunset Shimmer was just admitted into the hospital with a life threatening injury. According to the ambulance drivers, she had deep gashes in her sides, chest and mid section. The front doors slammed open as the wounded teenager was taken on a gurney through the hospital hallways. The doctors tending to the girl began shouting orders to have her taken to the ER.

“Patient’s name is Sunset Shimmer. According to her student ID she goes to Canterlot High and is seventeen years old,” shouted one of the nurses.

“Get me her medical file, stat, and call her parents ASAP!” ordered the doctor.

The nurse nodded. "Of course, Doctor. I'll get right on it." She rushed towards the front of the hospital and began typing on the computer. Soon, Sunset’s medical and emergency contact data was presented on the computer screen. She sent her findings to the ER station for the team tending to her. She found only one name on a list of contacts labeled “Adoptive Mother“

She rang. “Ms. De Lis? This is Canterlot Hospital. It’s about your daughter…”

-=-=-=--=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

About half an hour had passed when Sunsets adoptive mother, Fleur de Lis, ran through the open double doors of the hospital and stopped at the front desk wearing a pink and white dress. She was quite tall and had beautiful long pink hair and a body that screamed “model maker”. However, her face was completely drenched with tears, ruining her mascara. Following behind her was a man, dressed in a tuxedo with a monocle and had light blue hair and mustache.  

"I got the call and got over here as fast as I could. Where is she?" Fleur asked, frantically.

"She's currently undergoing surgery in the ICU. We're not sure of her current status, but it was bad when she arrived.”

She turned to the man.   “And you are....”

“Fancy Pants. I’m Fleur’s boyfriend, actually. But Sunset is like a daughter to me,” he answered.  

“Oh, my baby,” whispered Fleur as she held onto the counter to keep her balance, Fancy’s arms holding her around the waist to help. “I hope that she'll be okay…”

The nurse guided them towards the ICU's waiting room, where they sat down and waited in each other’s embrace, praying Sunset would make it out okay. Although fifteen minutes had passed when a doctor came out, it seemed like a lifetime had gone by. The two turned pale upon seeing the blood on his gloved hands, uniform, and even a little bit on his mask. His cold expression didn't show any good signs and only increased their fears.

He walked up them; they held their breaths. "Doctor, how is she? How's my Sunset? Is she going to live?" asked Fleur, doing her best not to jump the man and shake him for answers.

The doctor sighed. "I'm sorry miss, but she's gone. We tried the best we could. We spent over an hour trying to save her life, but unfortunately, her injuries were... much too severe. I'm so very sorry".

Those words, those horrid words that no parent ever wants to hear in their lifetime. It overwhelmed Fleur as she collapsed on the floor in an open sob. She whispered her daughters name over and over, asking why did this have to happen. She prayed to god, asking him to take good care of her while she's at peace. No longer suffering.

Fleurs life changed completely. She had lost the one person she cherished the most out of anything in the world. Sunset Shimmer. Both Fancy and the Doctor wrapped their arms around Fleur comforting her and assuring her that she's in a better place. Fancy Pants was crying too, but not nearly as much as his girlfriend. He wanted to stay as strong as possible for his daughter. There was a long, dead silence in the hallway. Only the sounds of open cry could be heard. After the long embrace of pain and suffering, the trio let go of each other and Fleur stood back up on her two legs and turned to the Doctor with her discolored eyes.

"Can…” sniff “…can I go see her?"

The doctor wasn't sure upon seeing the pain Fluer was going through now that she had lost a loved one. He knew that she shouldn't have to go through anymore pain, but it was her daughter and she deserved to see her. Finally, he nodded and told them to follow him into the ER, where in front of them layed Sunset Shimmer who was covered with a blue blanket. A sign that she was no longer with them.

Fleur gasped at the sight, but stayed strong.

The doctor walked over to the Sunset Shimmers lifeless body "Would you like me to pull the cover down?".

She nodded.

The doctor proceeded and pulled the blue sheet down, revealing her face. A second later, her mom ran over and collapsed on her daughter's chest. The beating of her heart no longer existed. Her body still warm, yet lifeless. She looked as if she was only sleeping. Fluer began to cry again, this time even harder than before when she saw the injuries to her daughter’s chest, ribs and mid section.

"Oh, sweetheart. My sweet, sweet Sunset". whispered Fleur as every memory she had of he daughter flipped through her head like a scrapbook. From the day she brought her home to the day she said goodbye when she went on her walk to her friends party. Fleur's shoulders heaved when the tears were starting to come down faster with every breath she took.

Fancy Pants walked over and placed his hands on Fleurs shoulders. “Whatever expenses, whatever help you need, Fleur, I will do whatever it takes.”

“Thank you,” whispered Fleur, as her tears continued to fall from her face down onto her daughter’s cheeks.

The next few minutes were spent with the stroking of her daughters hair for the last time, when she heard a vibration coming from her daughters pocket. She reached for her phone and looked at the bright screen that flashed in her face. There it read, six missed calls by the name of Pinkie Pie as well as a flood of text messages saying "Where are you? Did you get lost in the town? We can't wait any longer!".

Fleur knew exactly what she had to do. She dialed Pinkie Pie’s number, and a few moments later the phone picked up on the other end.

"Hello? Sunset? Where are you silly! We've been waiting and waiting and we’re starting to get worried. Is everything okay?" Pinkie Pie asked on the other end

"No" replied, Fleur.

"What do you mean? Who is this?".

"It's her mother."

"Oh, well, where's Sunset? Why do you have her phone?".

"Listen Pinkie, just… just get the rest of your friends and bring them to the hospital." She didn't say anything else, and hung up the phone.