Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Room for Rent (SoL Adv. RP)

Wolfe

Kay Dreamer

'Hmphing' at Scribblegroove's claim that she couldn't ride a 'roller coaster', she poked her tongue out at him, her expression filled with good natured challenge. "I shall prove it then!" she exclaimed. "If I can ride the roller... thingy without feeling ill, you must, um... buy me cotton candy for the entire day." She wasn't quite sure how she'd manage the roller coaster, if she was honest with herself. But it looked like fun, and she knew she wouldn't back down from it if she turned it into a dare.

Hey ears pricked up with interest when he mentioned a visit to the conservatory, however. The idea of playing in a beautiful acoustic, and trying some of the new instruments she had not yet had a chance to play, was almost too enticing to bear. "Ooh, Scribble, can we? I'd love to see a place like that! Especially if there are plenty of instruments to play, as you said. I've been meaning to try so many I've heard about! Those curly metal clarinet-type things you call 'saxophones', trumpets with the kind of valves I have on my prance horn..." She trailed off, thinking of all the possibilities. "I've been saving to buy such things, though the chance to play them before I do would be amazing. Perhaps we could go the day after we visit the fairground?"

Kay chuckled at Anala's mention of running to buy discounted ale, groaning at the terrible pun at the end of her story, and laughed as Anala and Java continued bouncing bad puns back and forth. "It seems you and Riley were true scoundrels as younglings," she laughed. She was about to contribute a few escapades of her own when Java distracted her by laying bags of coffee beans on the bar in front of her. She sniffed them deeply, one bag in particular standing out as very similar to what she was used to. It was this bag that Java picked to blend into coffee. "Oh, that smells perfect," she smiled. "And you should absolutely join us in the afternoon! Fairgrounds were always more fun at eventide, even in my time. Perhaps they will have a display of those beautiful starry explosions in the sky? I've only ever seen one, and it was a sight to behold."

Kay began to sway slightly to the beat of the new song as it began playing over the gramophone system, though she tried not to lose herself in it too much. She was interested in what Java was saying to Scribble. "Are you playing tonight, Scribble?" she asked, curious. "I can't wait to hear you if that's so!"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Anala

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Scribblegroove,

@@Wolfe,

"If I can ride the roller... thingy without feeling ill, you must, um... buy me cotton candy for the entire day."

"And if you can't, you have to let me shoot an apple off your head with an arrow," added Anala with a chortle.

"It seems you and Riley were true scoundrels as younglings."

"Gosh, what gave it away? :P"

Anala watched intently as Java prepared the drinks. "Mmm... that looks really good, Javvy! Whenever I get thirsty, I should start picking coffee instead of wine." She began to tap her hooves as she waited for her coffee. Each second made her want it more and more.

"Are you playing tonight, Scribble? I can't wait to hear you if that's so!"

"Me neither!" said Anala. "Kay, you play music too, right? What if... you and Scribbles performed together!" she suggested. "That would definitely - no, more than definitely be a show worth seeing. And to spruce it up, I could bring Riley along, and he could fly up in the air while holding one of those giant balloons filled with confetti, and then I could shoot an arrow at it, and..."

She continued to ramble on and on in anticipation.

Edited by Rainbow Eclipse

Scarlet.

@@Gloomfury,

However strange the pony was, Scarlet got to work. Various bottles, cups and jugs spun as she flicked them around in what was more reminiscent of a bartenders performance than someone making coffee - milk here, cream there... chocolate and caramel syrups all measured 'by eye' until she was apparently content with her impromptu creation.

And of course, if it looked like she was enjoying herself in her enthusiasm... well then, that was just coincidence. She lived having the chance to create - and to show off as well for that matter - but she firmly believed that her facade was flawless.

"One... uh... well, it doesn't really have a name." She shrugged, setting down a tall glass on the counter beside the small mountain of bits, seeing the money for the first time. "Uh... y'know, I'm good yeah, but there's... more than double here."

It wasn't the first time she had been overpaid. Some folks thought that they were being impressive - others just weren't too good with numbers, or had overlooked something completely. What had left her somewhat taken aback this time was the amount, and how easily the strange pony was willing to part with it.

Reaching out, she slid six bits across the counter, followed by a seventh that she dropped into a glass jar. She could have taken the lot, but that would have felt wrong. She could have chastised the colt for his carelessness with money... almost did in fact... but he was a customer after all.

Besides, he looked like one good scare would finish him off.

"That okay?" She asked tentatively. "I mean, thanks for the tip and everything, but its just a drink, y'know?"

@@Kay Dreamer,

@,

"Oh, that smells perfect, and you should absolutely join us in the afternoon! Fairgrounds were always more fun at eventide, even in my time. Perhaps they will have a display of those beautiful starry explosions in the sky? I've only ever seen one, and it was a sight to behold."

"I'm pretty sure there'll be some fireworks. They shoot them off fairly often each night. Though, do be careful when you're over there. Place is filled with traps to take your money, whether it's on food, souvenirs, knickknacks, tickets, and all the sorts of stuff them fairgrounds and amusement parks sell over there. If you're not careful enough, you'll end up losing your wallet and even the clothes off your back..." Java Blend paused a bit and then continued, aiming to clarify himself. "Don't take that last bit literally, of course."

The grinding came to a halt with the silence from the machines. The smell of the ground coffee rises into the air with each scoop from the grinder to the brewer. They pressure and heat from the flame below, mixing the two substances together over time to create the darker water. Java keeps attention to the brewers, letting the group of friends talk amongst themselves, while glancing an eye every so often to the club around him to get a gist of things within the first half-hour of the club's fifth anniversary. "Servers seem to be doing nicely..... guests are having fun... nothing out of the ordinary...he thought to himself.

The brewers finally steamed their finality to the brewmaster. Java nodded and started work on the two mares' cups of coffee. One was simple enough. Pour and serve. "Care for some sugar, Sugar? But other than that, here's your Arabian Oasis" he stated to Kay. As for the other cup, Java took a regular sized marshmallow, cut it in half, and placed the marshmallow in the mug, pushing the center, stickier portion onto the bottom of the mug with a small red straw. He poured chocolate syrup onto the bottom of the mug, creating a very small moat for this 'marshmallow castle'. He then took care in pouring the rich, smooth brew into the deep mug. A dollop of whipped cream encapsulated the top with rainbow sprinkles to add pizzazz and mini marshmallows for the hot chocolate look and taste. "The Parasprite Winter Igloo warming up the kid in you. Don't be surprised if you taste hot cocoa the more you get into the coffee."

@,

An elder pony was sitting over on one of the comfortable couches overlooking the stage from a distance. His ears and head moved with the smooth sounds playing in the airwaves around everypony in The Brew. His eyes were shut as he took in the warm ambience and the good feeling he got from listening to tunes of old and familiar. This gentlepony was retired, but it didn't drive the jazz out of him. His name was Key Note, pianist and one of the last 2 members remaining of the Jive Five. Key was a short trot away and in visible sight to the reporter Time Scribe. He wasn't doing much, aside from embracing the jazz and saving his energy due to his old stature.

(edited)

June 21st, Saturday

~8:00 PM

West Bronc

Foal Flats

Isle Cast

"A city of opportunity," ponies had said. This cruel irony was what Isle recited as she stuffed her hoof into another trashcan. She sighed wearily as she withdrew her hoof, empty. At that moment her stomach groaned for food, and she left the empty trashcans and continued along the road. The streets were deserted, as they usually were at this time of night, and Isle was grateful for that, that is why she chose to do her scavenging at night. She didn’t want to see any pony when she was rummaging about in rubbish bins. Her hooves clattered against the concrete pavement, causing an eerie echo to follow her. The sun, and the blue sky had disappeared a several hours before, replaced by the light of the moon, and the darkness of the night. A lamppost cast a flickering yellow light over the street, until it finally gave up, and the light bulb died completely, sending the street into darkness. The only light coming from the moon above. 

Isle walked on in the moonlight, passing lamppost after lamppost, all dead, and lightless. She shivered as a small breeze picked up, and nipped at her through her fur. She pulled the blanket around her back tighter around her body, in an attempt to keep back the cold. The worn and tattered blanket did very little to help her, as another gust tore through the street, sending another shiver to ripple across her body. On either side of her were rows of, identical, whitewashed flats. She couldn’t help but wish that she had her own home like those ponies. Just somewhere to sleep comfortably - her stomached rumbled again, louder than before – and something to eat each night.

One of the whitewashed flats still had their lights on, and she spotted a young looking mare cooking late night dinner through the window. The steam from the pot, which could only imagine held delicious food, rose up from the oven, and created condensation on the kitchen windows. The mare went to open them, when she spotted Isle watching longingly from the street below. The mare narrowed her eyes suspiciously, and in a flash blinds fell down across the windows blocking the view. Isle continued staring at where the young mare had been, for a few more minutes, until she continued on her way. Walking slower now, each hoofstep becoming slower and slower as she recalled how that young mare had looked at her, narrowing her eyes, scornfully, as if she were some kind of changeling. The thought of how she had looked at her begun triggering more unhappy memories, and sad thoughts, so she quickly shook them away.

She turned the corner from the street of Foal Flats, taking a new street. Knocking into a group of younger stallions. She stumbled back as she collided with the leading Stallion.

“Oi, watch it!” Slurred the Stallion angrily.

His two friends laughed, and they were all obviously intoxicated with some sort of alcohol.

“Sorry,” Isle mumbled shamefully, hanging her head down.

The stallion she’d knocked into, tilted his head sideways. Frowning, trying to concentrate but evidently finding it difficult.

“Be more careful,” He muttered, and the group pushed past Isle roughly.

Leaving Isle to continue wandering the streets in search for something to eat, and somewhere new to sleep.

Edited by Dovashy

(edited)

Anala

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Wolfe,

"I'm pretty sure there'll be some fireworks. They shoot them off fairly often each night. Though, do be careful when you're over there. Place is filled with traps to take your money, whether it's on food, souvenirs, knickknacks, tickets, and all the sorts of stuff them fairgrounds and amusement parks sell over there. If you're not careful enough, you'll end up losing your wallet and even the clothes off your back..."

"Riley seems to fall into those traps every single time," commented Anala.

She watched with fascinated eyes and a hungry mouth as Java halved a marshmallow and dropped it in a mug, pushing the center, stickier portion onto the bottom of the mug with a straw. He poured chocolate syrup onto the bottom of the mug, creating a very small moat for this 'marshmallow castle'. He then took care in pouring the rich, smooth brew into the deep mug. A dollop of whipped cream encapsulated the top with rainbow sprinkles to add pizzazz and mini marshmallows for the hot chocolate look and taste.

Anala wasted no time in thanking Java, grabbing the mug, and taking a sip. "Dear Celestia," she said. "It's beautiful."

She looked ove at Kay. "Oh, Kay, I never did explain to you about Nightmare Night, did I?"

She cleared her throat. "Nightmare Night is an annual celebration where foals dress up in costumes, and knock on doors and say, 'Trick or treat!' The pony who answers the door is traditionally supposed to give them candy. If not, then the trick-or-treaters get to play a trick on the pony."

"I had a sugar rush on one of those nights. So did Riley and my fillyfriends. My parents had to hide my bow and arrow until all that energy inside of me died down."

Rag Stitch 

@, ((Really sorry I took so long to post back.)) 

Rag cursed himself for doing something that wasn't normal. Most most of his life he was cut of from the world and even though he's lived in the city for two years he's only been out in the would for three, counting the two. So he still learning things and he gets bad at himself every times he dose something that doesn't seen normal. And things like that happen a lot. It's still hard for him to understand things even though he tries to.

He takes the bits the mare gave him back and put them in his bag without making eye contact. "Thank you, miss. I'm sorry for being a bother by asking you to make something that's not on the menu. It's just... I really don't like coffee and I was also really thirsty. And I thought the extra bits would make up for me being a nuisance to you." He gingerly grabbed the glass then walks over to a corner of the cafe and sits down facing the corner with his head down as he drank the drink. 

Every time Rag feels like he did something wrong or he felt he was being a bother to anyone he would sit in a corner for a while. Cause his parents made him do the same thing and it became a deep habit that he couldn't get rid of.

Scribblegroove enjoyed his coffee silently as he pondered. He was still a little worried about his schedule. Could he go to the fair with them? Could he afford to spend all that time on something other than studying? He frowned.

"I have to admit it all sounds incredibly tempting, but I am not sure if I can go." He told the two mares. "It all depends on when you want to go to the fair. He added, hoping not to dissapoint them that quickly.

He put down his coffee and put his hoof to his chin. "I suppose I can skip one rehearsal, but Zephner won't be too happy about that." He thought out loud.

He turned his frown into a smile. "But let's not worry about that right now. I will indeed be playing tonight, and not in the fashion like you've seen me play before. I won't be using magic for the most part. After all, I am a pianist in my core." He explained excitedly. He brightened up a little. He grabbed one of the cookies that he had been offered earlier and took a bite, creating a little variation on just the taste of the coffee. He ignored Anala's suggestion on Kay joining him on stage completely.

He munched on the cookie a little and swallowed, and the quickly continued: "Zephner and I have been going through a lot of things that help me alter my play style with classical influences. You'll notice that the jazz I'm going to play is vaguely classical as well. I love mixing genres, it opens up so many possibilities!"

The stage in the distant part of the room looked very inviting. He couldn't wait to start showing off his skills. "On the subject of my performance, how long before I am going to start?" He asked Java as he picked up his cup again and took another sip. The coffee energized him, and even made him somewhat hyper, as far as 'hyper' went for him...

He then looked at the piece of art that Java had made for Anala. He whistled. "Well Anala, looks like you've been given quite the treat! I don't know how you do it Java..."

(edited)
post-26179-0-50047600-1404039365.png

Kay Dreamer listened with a smile to Anala rambling about arrows, balloons and performing music with Scribblegroove. She liked the idea of performing with Scribble at some point. She wasn't sure about the rest of Anala's grand plan, however. Kay wasn't sure what 'confetti' was, but she preferred her music to speak for itself. Fancy tricks were nice on occasion, but a simple performance was much more her style.

Watching eagerly as Java poured her coffee, Kay let the scented steam waft over to her nostrils. It smelled amazing. "No sugar, thanks," she said, giggling slightly at having been called 'sugar' herself. Taking the cup in her hooves (as was Saddle Arabian tradition,) she closed her eyes and took a small sip. The hot, light liquid warmed her from the inside. She breathed out, eyes opening wide in delight. "Oh, by the heavens. This is... this is..." She regarded Java with an awestruck, almost reverent expression, as though she could hardly believe he had recreated so perfectly this little lost piece of her past. "It tastes just how I remember," she finally managed to say, before taking another sip to calm the sudden surge of nostalgic emotion. 

As the conversation about the fairground continued around her, Kay came of a startling and sudden realisation. "Truth be told, I don't actually have many bits," she said sheepishly. "I can always make more once I get there but if it's as costly as you say, Java, I should probably spend tomorrow performing as much as I can." She looked at the three ponies surrounding her. "I don't suppose you know any good places for wandering musicians to play and sing? I was going to try that beautiful big park where I've set my caravan, but if there are other spots I should visit, I'd like to try those too."

Kay turned to Scribble in dismay as he voiced is uncertainty about being able to go. "But you have to come!" Her face contorted into a pout. "It won't be the same otherwise! As for when, well... how does the day after tomorrow sound? That way, I can spend tomorrow earning enough bits to have fun once we're there. I don't exactly have a schedule. Any time at all will suit me."

Determined as she was to see herself, Anala and Scribble all at the fairground together, Kay let the subject drop. She was very interested in what Scribble was saying about his music. "I can't wait to hear it, Scribble," she said. "I love what I've heard of jazz music so far - it'll be quite something to hear that mixed with the musical styles from my time! I suppose I've been doing the opposite, in a way. I've been teaching myself a few of the newer scales and harmonies since we last met, but I have very old instruments on which to play them."

She looked toward the stage at the big black piano glistening in the dim light. "That's a very large piano," she said, slightly curious about it. "They were still fairly new in my time, but I don't recall them ever being much larger than harpsichords."

Edited by Kay Dreamer

(edited)

Anala

@@Scribblegroove,

@@Kay Dreamer,

"Truth be told, I don't actually have many bits..."

"That's fine, we can chip in for ya," said Anala with a smile. "Well, I can, anyway. I dunno about you guys," she added, looking at the group.

"I don't suppose you know any good places for wandering musicians to play and sing? I was going to try that beautiful big park where I've set my caravan, but if there are other spots I should visit, I'd like to try those too."

"There's a field on the outskirts of this city," said Anala. "A portion of it is rented out to me for my archery business. All I have to do is give them a percentage of the profit that I make."

"But you have to come! It won't be the same otherwise! As for when, well... how does the day after tomorrow sound? That way, I can spend tomorrow earning enough bits to have fun once we're there. I don't exactly have a schedule. Any time at all will suit me."

"Me neither. If I decide I don't wanna work one day, I don't go to work that day, and I just call up a friend, say 'Hey, let's hang out at your place', and they take the bait, and take care of food and stuff," said Anala.

"That's a very large piano. They were still fairly new in my time, but I don't recall them ever being much larger than harpsichords."

"Times are a changin'," said Anala witha chuckle.

Scarlet.

Scarlet watched the pony amble off, pausing for a moment, head cocked to one side and one eye slightly more open than the other. She shook her head, shrugged off the bizarre situation and returned to work.

Drink after drink was served: it took a little while until the rush quietness down, but eventually it reached the stage where everyone was nursing their drinks and the crown at the counter dispersed into a trickle instead. This was the easiest part of the night - not too busy that she couldn't catch a break, but not so quiet that she had chance to start taking stock or anything of the sort. Customers came trickling toward the counter and she served up coffee on demand - pausing to simply take in the atmosphere between servings. As much as she appreciated that atmosphere, it was one that was certainly better to be relaxed it - the warmth of the crowd was starting to build up, and while it wasn't a problem for the patrons, the constant proximity to the boiling water and lights illuminating the counter was somewhat uncomfortable after a little while.

@@Wolfe,

"Hey, Java!" She called over to her employer during one such break in activity.

"I'm just going to step out back for five while its quiet, that okay? It's hot in here!"

(edited)

@@Scribblegroove,
@@Kay Dreamer,
@@Rainbow Eclipse,

"Dear Celestia, it's beautiful."

"Glad you like it." Java responded, "A lot of people order it during the holidays, but I make it a thing to not make brews selective to certain seasons. Everyone's got their groove in one cup or another, and they shouldn't have to wait several months to taste it again." Java took some notes that a server slid to him at that moment and nodded at the next few orders, starting up the brewing process once more.

"I suppose I can skip one rehearsal, but Zephner won't be too happy about that."

"If you'd like," he started, "I could try and talk to ol' Zeph about cutting you some slack. You've been cooped up in Canterlot, and you ought to see what New Mane City's got to offer. Not sure if talking to him might work, but I think anything's worth a shot." His hooves went all over grabbing bag after bag of coffee imported from lands all over Equestria. Java was so engrossed around coffee that it was pretty much his perfume, cologne, and body wash, not that he had any issue with the smell.

"Oh, by the heavens. This is... this is... It tastes just how I remember..."

"Glad you remember what it's like. Don't be afraid to stop by to relive the taste on your stay here," Java replied as he looked onto the grinders preparing the succulent, strong beans. "I can always make more once I get there but if it's as costly as you say, Java, I should probably spend tomorrow performing as much as I can. I don't suppose you know any good places for wandering musicians to play and sing? I was going to try that beautiful big park where I've set my caravan, but if there are other spots I should visit, I'd like to try those too." Java listened in with Kay's money issue as he started preparing mugs, cups and brewers for the upcoming orders. Light 'tings' echoed from the ceramic dish wear onto the dark wood counter aside the metallic brewers. "Central Park's a good place for performances. It's got a lot of space and a lot of ponies travel through there frequently. There's also some venues around Manehattan and The Bronc, but they might be hard to get in to to perform, depending on your luck. You may certainly perform here if you'd like. I can even check with some of my contacts to see if they can put a slot in for you at their places."

"On the subject of my performance, how long before I am going to start?"

"Hmmm..." Java turned over to a small clock under the counter to see it was roughly 30 minutes into the hour. "Probably got another 90 minutes or so 'till you get on stage. I'll be the MC for tonight's performances, so everyone performing will know when to get on and everyone will have a good, roaring time." He offered a wide smile and a nod over to Scribble. "Why don't you folks grab a seat somewhere and catch up on all that you guys have missed? I'm sure you'd like to trade stories and whatnot."

@,

While he turned back to his duties, a voice called out to him from the ambiance that resonated from around the club. "Hey, Java! I'm just going to step out back for five while its quiet, that okay? It's hot in here!" Java looked around the club seeing everyone settled in with their drinks and enjoying the scenery and music. Five minutes wasn't so bad. "That's fine, Scarlet! Just make sure you get back," he said in a calm, firm voice. He never sounded angry or aggressive to his employees, nor did he ever speak in such a way. He nodded toward Scarlet, granting her permission to get some air. Java set his eyes once more onto his equipment.

Edited by Wolfe

(edited)

Anala

@@Wolfe,

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Scribblegroove,

Anala really liked the atmosphere of this place. Wherever she looked, there were ponies having a good time. No conflict, no anger, just ponies having a good time.

Sure, it felt sort of good to go to a bar, especially after a long, sweaty day of archery, but this place felt more... well, homely. She'd once taken photographs of two stallions having a physical fight after one of them bumped into the other, causing the latter to spill his drink.

But this place filled her with a sense of happiness. She was starting to realise that 'happiness' and 'pleasure' didn't necessarily have to mean the same thing.

It was also fortunate that she'd gotten to bump into two acquaintances she'd made during a previous experience. She'd been rather snarky and off-hand with them at first, but as had they worked together, Anala had begun to demonstrate that other side of her: a sweet, caring pony. Sure, she'd dived into danger a few times, but it was all for good reasons.

"I wonder if we'll bump into Blaze and Number Cruncher?" she commented to Kay and Scribblegroove.

"On the subject of my performance, how long before I am going to start?"

Anala's eyes widened. "You're performing, Scribble? I bet it's gonna be AWESOME! Refreshments are on me, everypony, so long as you watch Scribblegroove perform!"

She fumbled about in her purse for another cookie, but felt a scrap of paper. She took it out and read it. That was Riley's hoofwriting. She noticed that the bottom had been torn off. "How'd this get in here..." She read the paper:

~~~

Once upun a time in the magical land of Equestria, there was two ponies and they were very awesome! One was called Anala and she wuz white with a grey mane, and she was like really really good at archery cuz she’s awesome! The other was Riley, he was red and had a blonde mane with spikes becuz spikes are kewl.

One faitful day, Tirek attacked, and kidnapped Celestia and Luna and Cadence and also Twilight, plus all the gardds, and all of the desserts in the kingdom. NUUUUU!!!!! NOT THE ICE-CREAM SUNDAYS!!!!! “Yu wont get away with this!” sed Riley.

“Oh but I already have!” said Tirek and he picked up a building and he 8 it along with a side order of friez.

“Oh noes!” said the people innside.

But Riley and Anala dont let no evil happen! They punched and kicked Tirek and then he died.

But it’s not over yet cuz then Chrysalis showed up!!!!! But that wuz short-lived, cuz Anala and Rily tricked teh entire army into transforming into cookies, and then they ate those cookies.

& then the entire kingdom was at peace thanks to Riley, Anala, and there AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~

(edited)

@@Rainbow Eclipse,

@@Wolfe,

@@Kay Dreamer,

Scribblegroove raised a brow, looking at java. "I don't know if anyone can talk Zephner out of anything. He's very kind, but once he sets his mind on something he is stubborn as a mule. The fact that he is pretty old doesn't help that at all." 

He shrugged and ran his hoof over his hair. It was pretty hot inside here. A bit too hot for his standards. It might've been the coffée as well that made him feel smothery. "But I suppose we can give it a try." He said, and he turned to Anala and Kay. "I mean, how could I not come along with you guys... 't would be a little dissapointing wouldn't it."

He smiled as Kay expressed her feelings about the grand piano that prominently stood on stage. "Indeed Kay, like anala said, times are changing..." It called to him as well, majestically curved as it was. It gave him a feeling of home. He peered through the crowd and noticed the characteristic golden letters on the side of the piano. "That is a Steinhay and Colts model D or B piano. It's one of the best. I can't wait to play that thing. I really hope its a model D piano though." Dreamily he stared at the black beauty.

"We've only got a model B in the recital hall, and I myself practice on a Bösendo..." He stopped himself. "I'm sorry, I'm going to start rambling if I keep talking about pianos. They're not really that interesting." He looked at Kay. "You've got more than enough contacts right here to get you a stage to play! Java and me can easily get you a gig or performance going somewhere in Manehatten." He thought for a moment, trying to think of a place where she could play. There were several, but he wasn't sure if Kay would be allowed to play there at all. She had to beocme slightly more renown before she could play at big places. 

How about you start at the open stage contest next saturday in the conservatory recital hall. Just show up and play to get yourself a name, and you might even win!" He snickered and grinned. "I'm not contesting, so you'll have a good chance!" He then thought of a few friends who he had lost saying things like that, and decided to stop doing that immediately.

He agreed with Java when he mentioned finding a place to sit. "Good idea, why don't we. We have our drinks..." He said. He was about to point out a spot when a very familliar voice tore through the background noise of conversations.

"Hey, Java! I'm just going to step out back for five while its quiet, that okay? It's hot in here!"

He quickly looked back to see where the voice came from. There she was again. Scarlet. He shivered. He had to find a place to relax and avoid her. He didn't want to relive that same situation again. "There. We can sit over there." He said, pointing to a table and a set of chairs as far away from Scarlet as possible.

Edited by Scribblegroove

(edited)

Kay Dreamer smiled at Anala's offer to buy them drinks the entire night long. "Better not tell me that, or I'll send you quite broke," she laughed. She left Anala to inspect the odd piece of paper she'd found in her purse, completely fascinated by what Scribble was saying about the piano.

"Oh no, this is absolutely interesting!" she exclaimed. "How is it they're so big now? I recall instrument makers of my time finding the tension of the strings simply splintered the wood, even the strongest varieties, and those examples were nowhere near the size of the one we're looking at now. How did you overcome it? How many keys do they have now? It must sound so different with such a large size, and-" she she blinked, and chuckled with embarrassment. "Actually, this probably is dreadfully dull for Anala."

Kay nodded enthusiastically at Scribble's suggestion of appearing at the open stage night. Kay usually performed on the road, or in taverns, streets and hotels. Such a life came with being a minstrel, and spreading her music to those who wouldn't often hear it otherwise. Less commonly, she would play at social gatherings. She'd even performed for royal functions once or twice, before the fall of the Crystal Empire. It had been a long time, however, since she'd played in a dedicated recital space. Any chance to do so was one she'd happily take. She poked her tongue out at Scribble's boast, though she'd known enough musicians that such posturing had ceased to bother her a long time ago. "It sounds like a good idea!" she said. "The chance to play in a proper recital hall would be splendid!"

Kay looked around the room as Scribble mentioned finding a table. She raised a curious eyebrow at his horrified reaction when he noticed a red-maned waitress. Deciding for once to not let her natural curiosity overcome her, she kept quiet. "Shall we?" She said, levitating her half-drunk coffee and trotting over to the table he'd pointed out.

Edited by Kay Dreamer

(edited)

Anala

@@Kay Dreamer,

@@Scribblegroove,

Anala finished reading. "Well, it doesn't take amazing spelling and grammar to write a good story, I suppose," she said to herself, not out of the earshot of the other three.

"Better not tell me that, or I'll send you quite broke."

Anala looked up at Kay, "Hmm... an avid coffee drinker, are you?" she teased. "Now that I've discovered how delicious coffeeis, I bet I could outdrink you in a competition."

Anala chuckled as she listened to Kay ramble on about musical instruments and how they worked. She was quite looking forward to hearing her perform.

"Actually, this probably is dreadfully dull for Anala."

Anala blinked. "Are you kidding?" she exclaimed. "This place and these instruments are just sooo interesting! Just like you, Kay!" she told the green unicorn. "And on top of that, I get to reunite with two friends with who I've had just the most amazing adventure!"

She agreed with Java and Scribbegroove's suggestion that the group find a place to sit down. "Yes, let's." She was just getting up when she noticed Scribblegroove looking uneasy at the sight of a red mare - the one who had sneered at Anala when she assumed the place served alcohol.

"What's up, Scribbs? Do you know her?"

Scarlet.

Stepping outside of the building through a side entrance reserved for members of staff, Scarlet took a deep breath of the cool evening air. Running a hoof through her mane, she adjusted the rose that was perched there - correcting its slightly incorrect angle.

She much as she lived the atmosphere, it was all a little too much when combined with the sweltering heat that built up behind the counter... not to mention to sheer amount of volume that was constantly around her. It wasn't so much loud as it was constant - she needed to take five once in a while: to be alone with a little peace and quiet.

Collect her thoughts, so to speak.

Wandering out onto the street to stretch her legs, she looked either way to check she wasn't being watched or listened in to.

"Ugh, this is great!" Scarlet grinned a little, letting the night chill sink into her coat. She had really lucked out with this job - music, coffee, decent ponies to work with... Sure it wasn't amazingly well paid, but it was enough for her to get by on, and the hours weren't half bad!

After a minute or two, she was feeling sufficiently recovered (not to mention a little chilly.) checking her mane again, she fixed the indifferent scowl back onto her face and slipped back inside - returning to her post at the counter.

Scribblegroove 

Scribblegroove moved towards the table and seats that he had pointed out the moment the others had agreed on going there, trying not to look behind himself and accidently make eye contact with Scarlet, who he hoped would be gone by now. He noticed that Kay had noticed his reaction, and he was terribly thankful that she didn't say a thing. However, Anala didn't pick up his signals and asked him about Scarlet.

"Yes, I do know her, but I don't want her to know I'm here just yet..." He said. "Let's just pretend she's not here allright?" He concluded, and like that he was done with it.

Instinctively trying to change the subject, he eagerly played in on Anala stating that she actually enjoyed talking about pianos. "Oh if that's the case, I know a thing or two about pianos, though it's been a while since I was actually thaught about the subject."

He turned to look at the large instrument again as he sat down in one of the comfy chairs and put down his cup on the table. He thankfully sighed being able to sit now, as he had been standing for most of the previous conversation. He was not really lazy, but very fond of comfort.

"I believe they got around the vibration problem by giving the strings more freedom to vibrate in general. After all, the vibration creates the noise, so more vibration means more sound. They used some kind of hard maple lamination to fit the grips of the strings in." He frowned and closed his eyes trying to remember more of the techniques that they used.

"They improved the mechanics so they would endure longer periods of time without wearing off that much, and they introduced some kind of brass resonance box. The entire housing of the instrument has also been toughened. On top of that there must be several things that I don't know about building pianos that they have improved, but I think that is what mainly changed."

He felt a little proud on his decent knowledge of pianos, but at the same time he felt like he should know more. The first thing he would read up on was this exact subject the moment he got back to his appartment. "This piano has 88 keys, which is 7 and one fourth octaves." 

He leaned back and hovered his coffee over to his mouth to take yet another energising sip. The brew had cooled down a little now, so he could enjoy it more. It was definately very strong coffee, but for some reason the bitterness wasn't too overwhelming. He trailed off a bit dreamily into his own imagination, letting himself immerge into the music of his mind for a while. Surely inspiration could strike any moment...

(edited)

Anala

@@Scribblegroove,

"Yes, I do know her, but I don't want her to know I'm here just yet... Let's just pretend she's not here, alright?"

Anala raised an eyebrow. "Fair enough," she said simply. 'He must know her from a different experience... and not in a good way.'

"Oh, if that's the case, I know a thing or two about pianos, though it's been a while since I was actually taught about the subject."

Anala began to listen to Scribblegroove talk about pianos.

As she listened intently, she continually nodded and leaned in closer.

She was intrigued at all of the knowledge Scribblegroove possessed on pianos.

"It's funny, isn't it?" she commented. "They look fairly simple on the outside, however, they contain all of these complexities that are necessary for it to function."

She continued to sip her coffee, which she now knew to be delicious.

She reached into her saddlebag, and took out her book. She held it up to show Scribblegroove. "Have you read this awesome book? It's about a young mare named Katniss Everfree and her battle to the death in a dystopian world."

(edited)

'Oh Anala... you're really not one for tact, are you?' Kay Dreamer thought as Anala blurted out the very question Kay had decided to keep to herself. It was all she could do not to put a hoof to her forehead. She liked Anala, but the mare could certainly speak her mind! She was glad when Scribble brushed it off. Whatever had happened between the read-maned mare and Scribble, the middle of a crowded club was probably not the best place to discuss it. Taking a seat at the table, she carefully placed her coffee down on the polished wood, laid her saddlebags across the back of her chair and shuffled the aforementioned chair around to get the best possible view of the stage.

As she adjusted her own seating arrangement to her liking, Kay listened with curiosity to what Scribble was saying about the piano. "A brass resonance box? That would explain a lot! It's little wonder it can be so much larger if there is metal inside to support it." She repressed the urge to jump up on stage and peer inside. "Eighty-eight keys is an enormous amount. I can't wait to hear you play it." She sipped at her coffee, still warm and still as perfect as it had been a few minutes ago. A cozy silence had just settled upon the three when Anala broke it by waving a book around.

At Anala's brief explanation of the plot, Kay let out a bright "Oooh!" and abruptly levitated the book out of Anala's hooves and into her own. Realising too late how rude that was, she giggled in embarrassment. "Sorry Anala! But that sounds like a fantastic story. May I borrow it? That is, if you've already read it, of course. Don't worry; you'll get it back in less than a few days. I read very quickly!"

Edited by Kay Dreamer

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

@@Kay Dreamer, @@Rainbow Eclipse

The environment became more comfortable and enjoyable the moment he had sat down and looked around a little. Closer to Java's working station the heat filled the atmosphere like a dense curtain. But here, where he could oversee his environment and sit back a little lazily, he felt a lot more at ease. Certainly after getting the subject of Scarlet out of the way, he didn't feel any more tension in his body like he previously had. 

Now on top of all that he was in his element. Music and art were the centered subject of the entire entourage. Cyncopated tunes came from every direction. The voices of all the visitors and the music in the background made sure that they were mostly in private, whilst at the same time not being in a secluded environment. It was in the essence of the word, "Cozy". And that was just the way Scribble liked it. 

He felt that the subject of music was about to be dropped, so he added just one last statement. "I can't wait to hear you play some of the instruments back in the recital hall. There are so many old ones that I couldn't even imagine how they would sound!" He thought of all the inspiration that new sounds could give him. After all, once he had heard how it was supposed to sound, he would be able to replicate, reform and change it until yet another new noise would be added to his repetoire. He decided that he would tempt Kay just a little more to reel her in. "I think we have some pieces of antique there as well. Maybe even something from the crystal empire!" Raising his right eyebrow suggestively, he smirked. 

He dodged the book that flew through the air in a green haze. He laughed at Kay's recognizable excitement. "Hold on a moment, isn't that a childrens book?" A slightly contemptuous tone was weaved through his question. "I heard a lot of good things about it!" He quickly added not to offend either of his friends. He always said snappy things far too quickly. "I'm currently reading this book called 'Letters to a young jazz muscisian. It's compiled out of all the letters an old travelling jazz trumpetist sent to his son, who was learning how to play the saxophone but didn't see his father too much. It is very inspiring and educational..." He explained with a slightly excited tone.

Edited by Scribblegroove

@@Kay Dreamer,
@@Scribblegroove,

Anala chuckled amiably as Kay Dreamer expressed interest in the book and asked to borrow it. "Sure you can, Miss Grabby-Pants," she said, feeling that the nickname she just applied suited the current situation quite well. "You might wanna get a heads-up on the material, though," she added. The last thing she wanted was for a drama queen such as Kay to be subjected to the book's material without seeing it coming.

"Hold on a moment, isn't that a children's book?"

Anala rolled her eyes. "Yes, and I'm a stallion..." she replied sarcastically. "Tell you what, Groovy. When Kay is done with it - which will probably be before she even makes it halfway - you can borrow it next. And when you've read it, you can tell me if you still think it's a 'children's book'." She bent her front hooves up and down as she said 'children's book' to indicate the sarcastic quoting thing.

"I got Riley to read this nightmare fuel when we were kids. When he woke up the next morning, his bedsheets needed changing."

"I know I go on about him a lot, but he's one of my best friends. Even like a little brother to me. And the fact that he has a real little brother means I get two adorable metaphorical little brothers!"
she said. "The two of us hung out all the time, and Kay is certainly right about us being 'scoundrels'," she went on. "His parents thought I was a bad influence on him."

"Anyway, enough about me," she said finally. "Have you two, by any chance, been having nightmares about colossal snakes and trains and tarantulas and whatnot?"

• 2 weeks later...

June 21st, Saturday

8:58 PM

Central-East Manehattan

The Brew

With drinks and services around The Brew running a bit slower, and the festivities kicking up a notch in just a few moments, the Brewmaster sets off from his station to head to the center stage. The MC keeps a calm pace with his trademark mug in hoof as the jazzy music slowly fades in volume to bring attention over to center stage. While nothing really changes, it seems like the stage is a bit brighter, trying to draw everypony's eyes for the upcoming performances. Java Blend positions himself in the center and knocks his rear hoof onto the paneled hardwood stage floor just to direct more attention to those who may not have gotten the cue before.

"Good evening, mares and gentlecolts!" he starts off in a clear, open voice. "It's good to see all of you in this wonderful night. Welcome to the 5th Anniversary of The Brew's opening! Now, while I do see a good number of regular ol' folks here tonight, there's a few of you who found out about this place, one way or another. As such, I should introduce myself to you all. My name's Java Blend: Owner and Brewmaster here at The Brew, and for tonight, I shall be your MC for tonight." He pauses to take a drink from his blend. "Now, this establishment has gone through some tough times, thick and thin, but through it all, this place is a meaningful place. It holds much meaning for everypony here, not just for myself and my staff." He starts strutting left and right on the spacious stage, trying to give more emphasis on the message being said. "It's a place to hang out with friends after a long day. A place to enjoy the ambiance. A locale to escape the worries that one has outside that door. A settlement to listen to a good song for a while or to be engrossed in a performance here on stage... or both! A site for memories to grow and friendships to be born. Or...!" He tilts his head forward with a raised eyebrow with a questioning look on his face. It quickly turns back into a grin. "...or maybe it's just a place for a good cup of coffee." he says as he raises his own mug.

"With that, I hope you all create some great memories tonight, and I certainly hope I was helpful in brewing some of those memories for you tonight. We've got a wonderful set of performers here tonight for you all! Many newcomers and returning ponies from around New Mane City and beyond are here to put your hooves-a-tappin' and your heart's-a-blazing for what they all have in store for you." He lays an expectant eye on Scribblegroove as he finishes his statement. "First up tonight is a young soul all the way from Canterlot. He's a big hit over there with his unique brand of jazz, and I've heard how he sounds. Amazing kid and an amazing talent in his soul. Everypony's got one drive brewing in their soul and this guy has it steaming for all to see. Without further ado, mares and gentlecolts, here is Scribblegroove! Give it up for Scribblegroove, everypony!"

He taps a hoof onto the hardwood, starting off a clap for everypony to follow up with as he expectantly awaits Scribblegroove to motion on up to his awaiting stage performance. When Scribble approaches him, Java would simply pat him on the shoulder and let him know in a whisper to break a leg before setting off the stage to listen to the incoming symphonic sounds.

@@Wolfe, @@Rainbow Eclipse, @@Kay Dreamer 

"Good evening, mares and gentlecolts!"

At the sound of these words Scribblegroove quickly looked up from the conversation he was having with his friends. That was Java Blend commencing his speech. He quickly looked up at the clock on the wall. 8:58. He stood up and smiled at Kay and Anala in excitement "Well, that's my que. I hope you enjoy it!" He said softly as to not interrupt Java in his monologue. He drank the last bit of the coffée that Java had made him and then quickly moved for the stage, slightly along the wall so he wouldn't attract any attention to himself. As he was walking past all the tables and neared the stage a feeling of excitement and perhaps nervosity started to dawn to Scribblegroove. Usually that wasn't a bad thing, because a little nervosity made him more alert. But looking at all these unknown faces of all sorts of ponies made him a little more frightened than he was used to. Wealthy, sophisticated and classy stallions in their suits, but also casualy clothed jazz-fanatics and simple tourists had their eyes focused on Java, who was starting to introduce him to the crowd.

The stairs towards the stage were in his sights. In his excitement he almost stumbled over his own hooves and nearly fell over one of the staff carrying a tray full of drinks, but luckily the experienced staff member maneuvered out of his way in time and he could make it look like he just stepped out of his way quickly, and since nopony had been paying attention to him almost nopony had noticed it even happening anyway. "Sorry, excuse me..." He whispered as he made his way past a few ponies who were close to the stage. He began to sweat a little as he neared the heat of the spotlights. And there he was. Java gestured for him to come up on the stage. He took a deep breath and calmed down. The excitement and stagefright started to face away as he replaced Java's place on the stage and stepped into the spotlights. Instead of feeling uncomfortable in the bright lights and the open stage he felt in his element. This was his time to shine.

He smiled at the audience, which was waiting in interested expectation. He made his way to the piano, and once he was right next to it he looked at the audience. "Before I start I would like to thank Java for a chance to play on his wonderful stage. It's not often I get to play in large places like this. A round of applause for him and his excellent establishment. May we enjoy his brews for many more years to come." Gesturing towards Java who had already placed himself in the darkness of the hall. He thought it was important to acknowledge him, since he made his performance possible. "To start off I'm going to play some good old jazz classics that the fanatics under you will probably recognise, which I have given some of my own flair to. After all I don't want to throw you in the deep end immediately." And with that he sat down on the stool in front of the piano, making sure he didn't sit on top of his own tail, and placed his hooves above the piano. For a short moment he waited, leaving the crowd a moment to take a breath, or hold it. He inhaled, prepared himself, and released.

Monk's Dream

Starting off with a confusing and challenging melody high up in the range of the piano. Sharp notes rang through the hall, without much anchorpoints to find a rythm or progression. But as the confusing melody progressed the melody became more clear. Then his left hoof came in action, guiding the upper melody into a more strict rythm. He had to focus on not losing track of the timing, because otherwise the whole song would fall apart. The swing and syncopation of the song became more clear, but the sharp melody remained. By now the jazz-knowledgeable would've recognised the song. A challening piece created by a stallion pegasus called Melodious Monk, known for locking himself up to practice for days on end.

The end of the song brought the room back into a state of total silence, only to be broken by applause of the audience. He gave a radiating smile towards the audience and felt great. He had performed the piece flawlessly. He just hoped his next one would go just as well. He didn't wait very long to start with the next song. The moment everypony had fallen silent he placed his hooves on the keys again. This time he would go for something quicker, and perhaps also more famous.

Armando's Rhumba

The piece started off at an immediate pace. No abstract and interpretative intro's this time. The left hand offered a steady and boppy rythm, though the melody would sometimes quickly run over it. Though he didn't completely manage to stay steady in his left-hoof pattern, his improvisation on the right hoof went perfect. The piece slowly started to get a tango-like feeling, which it shouldn't usually have, but Scribblegroove decided to go with it, since the new touch made the song more exciting and interesting than it used to be. The audience would very likely recognise this piece by Glissandoro Corea, a famous jazz pianist who revolutionised a lot of old songs many years ago, and also composed many new songs himself. A relatively well known tune that many ponies enjoyed.

I do

After the round of applause Scribblegroove waited for a moment. This piece was slightly more sad than the previous ones, and he wanted to acknowledge that with a slow introduction. This was one of his own pieces. He had played a short part of it for Kay and Anala a long time ago, when they had only just met. He could still remember the amazed look on Kay's face when she first found out about his special talent, his unique spell. He quickly looked at her sitting in the dimmed light to see if she recognised it. If she remembered it. But quickly he focused on the keys again, making sure he struck every note perfectly. The dreamy theme of the song made him feel like he was on a cloud in the air. That we the feeling he tried to induce on his audience as well. Interspersed with the slightly more agitated parts of the song this made it seem like a very slow flight through the air. Like a bird gracefully floating through the air with no care in the world.

At some point in the piece he introduced the audience to his special talent for the first time. The ensemble of horns that was supposed to guide the piano in this piece was replaced by his very own magical abilities. The amount of concentriation required of him now was so large that he forgot about the audience and made sure everything was just right. The nuances of the differences between the sound of his horn and the sound of the piano had to either be emphasized or neutralised the right way. The volume had to be controlled. He had to build the piece up, construct it carefully to keep the dream intact. And as carefully as he had built up the piece, he brought it down to the ground again, and ended it peacefully.

Yet again the crowd broke the silence that he had left behind by finishing the song. This time the audience was more amazed, since his special talent of producing music out of nowhere had never been announced. He grinned at the audience and waited slightly longer for the applause to fade out, just to let himself bask in the glory a little longer. Then he stood up and stepped to the side of the stage. Fully casually he took a break for a few seconds and gestured one of the staff close by. "Can I get some water? I'm a little dry." He whispered as the applause began to fade. He had been playing for quite a while now, and he had to keep himself hydrated to focus in these hard lights.

Edited by Scribblegroove

Kay Dreamer smiled slightly at Anala's comment regarding their last adventure. "I must admit, I certainly did have some decidedly odd dreams for a while," she said. "But for all that it was terrifying at the time, it was a grand adventure with a happy ending. Not something I would have nightmares about." The moment those words left her mouth, Kay's attention was drawn to the stage as Java stepped up to announce the performances. Excited, she leaned across the table toward Scribblegroove as he spoke. "Play well!" She whispered in response.

Kay could barely sit still as Scribble began his own announcements. The anticipation of hearing new sounds and new music live in such a beautiful ambient venue was enormous. She was especially excited to hear Scribble planned to play what, in his words, were 'jazz classics'. Kay's knowledge was so out of date, everything composed within the past one thousand years was 'new' to her. Hearing and learning a few 'standard' pieces in any genre would help in darning the enormous holes in her patchwork quilt of historical and musical familiarity.

As Scribble started to play, Kay Dreamer's mind went blank, free of all thoughts but those inspired by the music. She closed her eyes, her ears flicking with every disjointed note. She wasn't quite sure what to think of the tune's chaotic nature at first, though as the piece went on she picked up patterns, recognising scales and the strange, somewhat dissonant chords which seemed to be a feature of jazz. Kay preferred music with a melody she could sing, but she could appreciate it for what it was. The clever use of harmony and rhythm was engaging on a cerebral level, if not an emotive one.

The second tune was something Kay could appreciate a little more. She recognised some of the sounds from her travels long ago. The scales, rhythm and harmony put her in mind of bright fabrics, feathers and dancing. This version was completely different to how she was accustomed to hearing such music, but anything familiar was a blessing to her, and an observer would notice a small smile grow on her face at each little element she recognised in the piece.

Kay's smile only grew as Scribble began to play his third song. This was music she could truly enjoy. It radiated emotion, peace, ambience... She found her mind drifting with the chords, enjoying the feelings it evoked instead of analysing the notes. As her imagination built a picture of a wide, calm spring meadow, Kay realised she recognised the tune; it was one Scribble had played for her, magically, the very first time they'd met. She couldn't help but replay their adventure in her mind. The magical magnifying glass, the giant snakes and tarantulas, the terrifying approach of a mile-high train and the bond of friendship formed between five ponies as they soldiered through impossible odds. And the final notes faded, Kay looked up at the stage in delight, clapping her hooves as loud as she could.