Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv General Disney Discussion

The Taxman

@Equestrian Scholar: Even seperating Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty wasn't enough to save that movie. It's just so...empty. Did anyone else notice that everybody not named Maleficent was a cardboard cutout with no personality? Angelina Jolie also had more dialogue than every other character combined?

@Equestrian Scholar: Even seperating Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty wasn't enough to save that movie. It's just so...empty. Did anyone else notice that everybody not named Maleficent was a cardboard cutout with no personality? Angelina Jolie also had more dialogue than every other character combined?

My sister said EXACTLY the same thing, this is why she told me not to waste my money watching it.

(edited)

@Equestrian Scholar: Did anyone else notice that everybody not named Maleficent was a cardboard cutout with no personality?

I noticed how almost every character that was not Maleficent were made much more negatively. The king was made evil and later insane, more the movie offered a date rape analogy with him drugging Maleficent and cutting off her wings. The three fairies were made to be incompetent and a danger to the princess, to the point that Maleficent had to be the one to take care of and raised the princess herself. Finally the prince was made utterly useless and pointless.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

i love all the disney movies and in maleficent the farries were funny brother bear was a good movie too but my fraviote one was the lion king tho and i love the movie frozen it is vety good plus i love the music and singing in it tangled was very good too all the singing

Brother Bear was a good movie

Brother Bear is one of my favorite movies of all time when it comes to Disney. It hit me hard and made me wish I had that sort of relationship with my younger brothers. More the lesson learned through transformation was wonderful. It felt like a native american folk tale.

• Brohoof 1

I finally got to see Lilo and Stich and I like it and I like frozen, brother bear, other things. I do like Disney even they're not the best company.

What Disney movie do you guys think least needs a reboot right now? I'm going with Fox and the Hound, but i'm sure there's better options.

Mulan, it is one of my favorite movies and I dread the idea of seeibg them making a live action version based on what Disney did with the remake of Sleeping Beauty.

Also I do not want to see a Beauty and Beast remake as Belle is my favorite and most beloved Disney princess. The fairytale is also one of my favorites.

I don't know, maybe it is because I fear Disney will mess those stories up and because they are best the way they are.

• Brohoof 1

Pocahontas. Try giving Governor Ratclife a backstory. I dare you. 

So, anyway-here are my top 10:

10.Mulan

9.Aladdin

8.The Little Mermaid

7.The Great Mouse Detective

6.Tarzan

5.Lilo and Stitch

4.Sleeping Beauty

3.Beauty and the Beast

2.Hunchback of Notre Dame

1. Treasure Planet

Runner ups are Princess and the Frog, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and The Lion King. There are a lot more I like :) . The only Disney movies I hate are;Home on the Range, Dinosaur and Chicken Little. You guys can't imagine how relieved I was when I watched Princess and the Frog. 

I'm a huge Disney fan but I have to admit that I love the classic Disney movies, the recent ones are rather meh to me.

What exactly would you define as classic? Something after the Renaissance? I do think the new movies aren't as good as the old ones. People will kill me for this but I thought Wreck It Ralph was meh XD

(edited)

What exactly would you define as classic? Something after the Renaissance? I do think the new movies aren't as good as the old ones. People will kill me for this but I thought Wreck It Ralph was meh XD

No, the medieval period, lol  :lol:

But seriously: I love movies like Belle, Pocahontas, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, The Lion King, etc.

I don't say the recent movies aren't good. I enjoyed them a lot too! But I just think the older ones have something magical, and the songs were epic. :D 

I'm going to make myself very unpopular by saying this, but I truly dislike frozen. I don't understand the whole hype and I can't stand the squeeling in 'Let it Go'. 

Edited by Pinklady

No, the medieval period, lol  :lol:

But seriously: I love movies like Belle, Pocahontas, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, The Lion King, etc.

I don't say the recent movies aren't good. I enjoyed them a lot too! But I just think the older ones have something magical, and the songs were epic. :D 

I'm going to make myself very unpopular by saying this, but I truly dislike frozen. I don't understand the whole hype and I can't stand the squeeling in 'Let it Go'. 

Eh, it's okay. I liked Frozen but my opinion of Let It Go has changed over time. I agree with you about that, I was kinda diapointed when I found out that Alan Menken wrote the music for Tangled LOL.

For me the last truly superb Disney movies were in 2002. And they were both about aliens. Who knew? There have been some pretty good ones like Brother Bear, Tangled etc but I think my list won't be changing for a few years give or take.

Unless Moana lives up to my expectations and does really, really good. 

Eh, it's okay. I liked Frozen but my opinion of Let It Go has changed over time. I agree with you about that, I was kinda diapointed when I found out that Alan Menken wrote the music for Tangled LOL.

For me the last truly superb Disney movies were in 2002. And they were both about aliens. Who knew? There have been some pretty good ones like Brother Bear, Tangled etc but I think my list won't be changing for a few years give or take.

Unless Moana lives up to my expectations and does really, really good. 

I agree with you on Brother Bear, that was a great movie too :) But I wouldn't put it in my top 10.

I never heard of Moana until now, I googled it and I must say it sounds promising! But it's still a couple of years waiting before we can see it... Anyway, thanks for sharing :)

I really love "The Great Mouse Detective". It's also one of the very first animated films to use CGI. They made a wire frame map of the interior of Big Ben, and then hand traced the gears and works onto the cells.

Yeah, it's a pretty underrated film. Though the reason why I love it may be because I'm obsessed with Sherlock Holmes  XD

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, in my opinion Tangled is much better than frozen. I mean Frozen was ok but the story and the characters from Tanlged really draws me in more than Frozen especially Eugene and Repunzel. :D the only thing I'd like in frozen was the let it go song and it's getting... Old actually ;3

But my all time favorite disney movie was Lilo and stitch. Lilo and stitch was superb it is the only disney movie that really made my teared and that's pretty rare for me. I just Love everything from it

(edited)

10. Frozen

9. Tangled/ Wreck it Ralph

8. Sleeping Beauty

7. Brother Bear

6. Mulan

5. Lilo & Stitch

4. Beauty and the Beast

3. The Lion King

2. Tarzan

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Edited by Guest

(edited)

10. Frozen

9. Tangled/ Wreck it Ralph

8. Sleeping Beauty

7. Brother Bear

6. Mulan

5. Lilo & Stitch

4. Beauty and the Beast

3. The Lion King

2. Tarzan

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Having the Hunchback of Notre Dame as favourite is quite exceptional. I thought that this movie was one of the least favourite ones. It also has one of the darkest songs and generally it's a dark and sad storyline.

So it's quite fascinating that you didn't make a traditional/rather stereotypical choice.

I'd love to hear why you love that movie so much :)

Edited by Pinklady

(edited)

Having the Hunchback of Notre Dame as favourite is quite exceptional. I thought that this movie was one of the least favourite ones. It also has one of the darkest songs and generally it's a dark and sad storyline.

So it's quite fascinating that you didn't make a traditional/rather stereotypical choice.

This was the first film I remember seeing at the cinema as a kid and I ended up endlessly drawing Quasi and the gargoyles for some reason! As a kid I remember asking a tour guide at Notre Dame where Quasi was, I got told he was sleeping under the bells :lol: Nostalgia asides, when I revisited it when I was older I noticed how dark it was (this initially surprised me as I grew up citing this as my favourite film since I was 6 :lol: )but the darkness made me appreciate it even more. Its incredibly bold for a Disney film, persecution, murder on the steps of a cathedral, attempted infanticide due to abhorrence for disfiguration? All in the opening scenes! :o For me, Frollo is also one of (maybe the best actually) Disney's greatest villains. His self-righteousness and conflict with sexual attraction/the devil's temptation (see Hellfire) make him truly dangerous and very believable as a fallible human being.

I have no qualms saying this, in my opinion, Hunchback has the best soundtrack of ANY Disney movie, as someone who grew up going to church, perhaps this quality had something to do with it.  Needless to say, the art is stunning but the representation of Notre Dame is perhaps one of Disney's most beautiful representations. Quasimodo is an incredible hero with a very pure heart, who despite knowing his love is futile, does the right thing not sparked by selfish motivation (his initial struggle with this is compelling). I related to him in a way, whilst obviously not having his disfigurement, I too was mocked about my appearance for a long time and no-one wanted to see below this, so I felt a very close connection to him on account of this. 'Sanctuary' is a perfect scene, Quasi fights his inner demons, allows his inner (and immense outer) strength to shine all with an intense rescue backed by a brilliant score. Maybe my favourite Disney scene ever.  I laugh, cry, get excited, angry and many more emotions occur each and every time I watch this film, no Disney film will come close to this one for me. :)

That was meant to be a summary, but it turned out a bit longer than I expected :lol:

Edited by Guest

Aside from Disney being kind of a terrible company, I really do love a lot of the movies.  Some of the Disney Pixar stuff is top notch, but I have a soft spot for the classic animated movies.  My favorites are Aladdin, Mermaid, Hunchback, and always coming in at number one, Beauty and the Beast.  That's not only my favorite Disney movie, but easily in my top list of favorite movies period.  Maybe not top ten, but definitely top twenty.

I was just comparing Disney songs to MLP songs the other day.  They're both great, but overall I prefer MLP, but I think that the Disney characters tend to have stronger vocals.  I.e. Ariel or Quasimodo would probably beat the Mane 6 if they were all on American Idol, but I like the music in MLP the best.

Actually, it's really well liked in the fandom for those reasons. The soundtrack is generally viewed as the best tied with The Little Mermaid, and it's praised for handling racisim and depression and sin realistically which is something A CERTAIN MOVIE DID NOT DO. *cough* Frozen *cough*

• Brohoof 1