movies/tv Is Spongebob slowly dying out?

CosmicHooves

Ugh.

Am I the only one who feels this way about Spongebob?

It seems like the older episodes are more humerous than the current newer ones.

There's way too much singing in the newer one too.

Now you might be thinking, "But Emerald, there's tons of singing in MLP."

Yeah you're right, but in MLP the musical notes actually sound good.

Honestly, hearing Spongebob sing is more painful for me than humping a cactus.

So what do you think?

Is Spongebob dying out slowly?

post-25645-0-06914200-1407974711_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Some could argue either way some say it's gone downhill with unfunny humor over used plots and horrifically flanderized characters others say that it's starting to pick itself back up, though personally i'm in the former. I mean you can get terrible morals from spongebob these days.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much. Despite a new movie being made, the show has lost the charm that it had from the earlier seasons, kinda like Family Guy. The characters just aren't as funny as they once were, they are too busy concentrating on stereotypes for the characters, again, like family guy.

• Brohoof 3

If it's not then how would you maintain same quality of Season 1-3 throughout six seasons?  S4 was Ok, but after watching too much of S1-3 I already felt like this is not really the Spongebob I know...  It is interesting to see new episodes, mostly to know how much it sucks now compared to back then. New writers all the time, all jokes are overused now, every new episode is a silent waste of time... I wonder why they still doing Season 9...   It's like keeping shoving the food in kid's mouth who just can't take it anymore.

Edited by I love Jelly Otter
  • Brohoof 1

I've seen a few of the newer episodes. They didn't seem THAT bad, but not really that great either. It must be doing good in the ratings though, considering that they keep making more of them. I assume it must be the younger folks who are still watching.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I feel  recent SpongeBob aren't really that funny anymore. I remember the first couple of seasons were good, and I could laugh at them, but now I don't even find new episodes funny. So I do think it's slowly dying.

Oh Celestia, they're making another one.

Yeah dude, in live action. Personally, I hate it when they take animated things to live action. It sort of defeats the purpose of animating it to begin with. (Though I suppose the characters themselves are technically cg, but in the real world)

Edit: found the trailer

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 3

Yeah dude, in live action. Personally, I hate it when they take animated things to live action. It sort of defeats their pose of animating it to begin with. (Though I suppose the characters themselves are technically cg, but in the real world)

well i liked it in the first spongebob movie, but the whole thing wasnt in the real world. The shell city part.

Yeah dude, in live action. Personally, I hate it when they take animated things to live action. It sort of defeats their pose of animating it to begin with. (Though I suppose the characters themselves are technically cg, but in the real world)

*slams my head on the table*

Live action... you've got to be bucking kidding me.

• Brohoof 1

I think that, at every point, a TV show hit's the stage where they either have to succumb to the focus groups or they stay unique. A good example of this would be a show that I think a lot of people know: Happy Days

The show was about a group of teenagers set in the 50's. The thing was that it began out wonderful and strong, as well as funny. However, as time went on, the show lost ideas and started to fall to the focus groups and more stupid humor.

Eventually, they jumped the shark. This term means the show runs out of creative ideas and that they fall prey to the things that are popular.

So, what does this mean for Spongebob? The debate is whether Spongebob has jumped the shark or not.

I say the new spongebob is dated and is popular, but I think it doesn't have that impact the old ones have.

Take it this way: I bet 3 bits that anyone who watches Spongebob since they were kids remember the Campire Song Song. But now, the songs are more...bland. They're very dated and not original in my opinion.

Now, take into consideration that Spongebob is still running. In fact, some can also make the argument that Spongebob is a unique show, which it is. but let's take a look at the history of spongebob's change.

The show used to be more for all ages. There was a heavy lean towards hidden messages and very unique things. The camping episode used humor to convey to leave wildlife alone. This message was one you didn't get until you were older. That was a clever strategy, because it meant that the show had to constantly hide their messages and ideas inside it.

The new spongebob isn't very thought provoking. It's very blatant in the message and usually says it out loud. This makes it much more popluar at the moment, but it doesn't last as long.

However, the new Spongebob has redeeming qualities. Animation is much better. Voices are incredible. Effects can suprass even the best of ones we see in other cartoons.

The older Spongebob is much more...you conitnually have to watch it. You never stop laughing, but it's not the thing for younger kids. Younger kids won't want to watch it over and over to get a message. The newer version spotted that and decided to make it lean twoards the younger audience by digging up the hidden messages and stating them.

Is this bad? That's your opinion.

Now, I think the only other thing that should be brought up is that Spongebob is owned by the company Nickelodeon. How many times have they changed cartoons?

In conclusion, I think that the show hasn't died out or gotten better. I think it's modernized to stay at the same pace it used to be. The movei will make or break it and tell if it jumps the shark or not.

• Brohoof 2

I dunno, from my understanding, it's still going strong thanks to it's target audience. But I do agree it's getting from bad to worse each day, it lacks good humor and extreme flanderization of it's characters, I mean, most of them are irritating and one dimensional, compared to before the movie where there was great humor, and characters weren't one dimensional, irritating, and were genuinely likable