swords  

74 users have voted

1. 1. Favorite swords

• Western swords
    • Spanish swords
    • Chinese swords
    • I hate swords!
    • Other

I think swords are cool, tell me. or if you hate swords, tell me also........I might respond. I like the Katana. Because Japanese folk lore! :yay: 

EDIT: the poll has been changed, if you want to revote, do so.

Japanese swords, though indeed interesting, exotic, and cool are a bit overrated in their abilities.

This is partially due to them being heavily associated with the aristocratic samurai class that wielded them.

I own 3 and though they're certainly more agile than my scimitars or broadswords they can't match their raw brute strength.

Katanas are also probably favored for the skill required to wield them fluently, though I'm not a big fan of some of the less practical martial arts schools and disciplines that use swords in a more artistic than martial way.

Except for lightsabers.

A lightsaber is more of a symbol and a tool and less of a weapon, as the Jedi only use violence as the last resort.

Man there seem to be a lot of last resorts then...

All right, all right. Maybe it's just ignorance on my part. I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

It's fine... it has like 6 forms and they change slightly depending on its wielder. Also it let's that particular character see what will happen next in each of his fights. He has like 5 to 10 second future sight.

Man there seem to be a lot of last resorts then...

Well of course!

If the Jedi went to a meeting, negotiated with a belligerent party, and everything was settled peacefully. Well then there would be no story!

We see a lot of these dire situations because that's what we want to see. For every one lightsaber fight though, there's probably dozens of Jedi who never have to use theirs. 

In fact, their exist a branch of Jedi specialized in such. They are the Jedi Consulars. They are more concerned with studying philosophy, science, the Force, and how It relates to both. In practical functionality, they serve as diplomats for the Jedi and the Republic. 

The Jedi we typically follow are Jedi Guardians. (Obi-wan, Anakin, Luke, etc.) They are the peacekeepers, investigating crimes and protecting people. Of course, we are going to see them use their weapons.

Edited by Steel Accord

Japanese swords, though indeed interesting, exotic, and cool are a bit overrated in their abilities.

This is partially due to them being heavily associated with the aristocratic samurai class that wielded them.

I own 3 and though they're certainly more agile than my scimitars or broadswords they can't match their raw brute strength.

Katanas are also probably favored for the skill required to wield them fluently, though I'm not a big fan of some of the less practical martial arts schools and disciplines that use swords in a more artistic than martial way.

That also depends on the particular kenjutsu school. Some use the weapon exclusively in ritual, going through kata without actually touching the blade upon anything at all.

Other schools keep the focus of using the sword as a weapon.

I prefer the ladder, though the importance of spirituality and art is also important. One needs both the hard techniques as well as the internalized philosophy, without either, you lack balance.

If u don't fight with a sword ur knot a man

Loaded words, friend. I train with a sword, but that's because it's the weapon that calls to me. Would you say Jackie Chan isn't a man?

In the hands of a master, anything can be a deadly weapon.

Yeah... I hate violence in reality. For some reason I think swords are really cool, but to be honest, the way they actually work is not at all. I've just played too many video games, watched too much anime. =/

Perhaps you should weigh in on another thread of mine. As you are the only true pacifist I can find on this site.  :P

http://mlpforums.com/topic/98515-pacifists-take-on-the-martial-arts/

That being said, if you're perception of violence comes only from media, I'd hate to see how you'd react to real violence. Violence in all media is exaggerated, glamorized, or otherwise false in comparison to it's reality.

That's not to make it look appealing, at least not all the time, that's actually a defense for the audience. We know real violence when we see it. It's not cartoony and it's not glorious. Too much exposure to realistically depicted violence would turn most people off of it for entertainment. So we add splashes of blood, slow mo, or a Wilhelm scream.

Not because people like violence, they like the spectacle and illusion of it.

Edited by Steel Accord

That also depends on the particular kenjutsu school. Some use the weapon exclusively in ritual, going through kata without actually touching the blade upon anything at all.

I prefer the ladder, though the importance of spirituality and art is also important. One needs both the hard techniques as well as the internalized philosophy, without either, you lack balance.

Loaded words, friend. I train with a sword, but that's because it's the weapon that calls to me. Would you say Jackie Chan isn't a man?

In the hands of a master, anything can be a deadly weapon.[/quote

In the hands of a master, anything can be a deadly weapon.

Indeed, though I'm no professional, I do prefer combat art more, being dedicated to practicality, which Is ironic, considering Katanas, or any sword for that matter are almost entirely impractical weapons for modern combat or self defense, that being said, I appreciate sword schools as preservers of history and culture more so than practical self defense courses.

Wow, that quote attempt screwed up big time.

Indeed, though I'm no professional, I do prefer combat art more, being dedicated to practicality, which Is ironic, considering Katanas, or any sword for that matter are almost entirely impractical weapons for modern combat or self defense, that being said, I appreciate sword schools as preservers of history and culture more so than practical self defense courses.

Sword schools do offer plenty of unarmed techniques as well, both Eastern and Western disciplines. German Longsword involves a great deal of grappling while katana schools tend to focus more on strikes and throws. In addition plenty also teach staff and knife techniques, either very practical weapons.

Just because it's old and even obsolete for the battlefield doesn't mean it has no place in our world beyond sentiment. Really, if war is the end all be all by which we judge the worth of everything, then we truly are nothing more than the savages the misanthropes claim us to be.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Perhaps you should weigh in on another thread of mine. As you are the only true pacifist I can find on this site.  :P

http://mlpforums.com/topic/98515-pacifists-take-on-the-martial-arts/

That being said, if you're perception of violence comes only from media, I'd hate to see how you'd react to real violence. Violence in all media is exaggerated, glamorized, or otherwise false in comparison to it's reality.

That's not to make it look appealing, at least not all the time, that's actually a defense for the audience. We know real violence when we see it. It's not cartoony and it's not glorious. Too much exposure to realistically depicted violence would turn most people off of it for entertainment. So we add splashes of blood, slow mo, or a Wilhelm scream.

Not because people like violence, they like the spectacle and illusion of it.

I'm not bothered by it because of the goriness, though... Although to be honest that certainly makes me squeamish. I am against it because I find the very act of harming another to be wrong. That's just how I've always felt.

Now regardless of what I said above, I am not a "hardline" pacifist. I only mentioned my aversion to violence in this topic because swords are very violent weapons. Their injuries are fatal or near fatal... Or at least crippling. I am not for that at all.

Overly fawned over weapons. I do love them, but remember you use the right weapon for the right job. Warhammer and axe against armor, a sword against lighter armor, claymores and zweihanders in the tang two hand grip for both stabbing and cutting. The weapons reflected the technology and tactics of the time.

Katanas? Overrated. Fantastic for their purpose but there was a reason they went the way of the Samurai. Guns....well all swords pretty much went that waym but people typically think the Katana is the end-all-be-all weapon when in fact it was not, but it was good at what it was built to do as was everything else western, eastern, bronze age, reinessance, etc.

If I have to pick...I would pick a Rapier or an Espada Ropera (Spanish cup rapier). Great for cutting, long for stabbing, and was an elegent and agile weapon.

After that the Viking longsword for its near blunt design with fantastic weight distribution making it a FANTASTIC cutting blade. Also, Vikings.

Here is Rarity with a Rapier to show my Fav Pony with my Fav sword.

1fEOsSX.gif

Edited by Cstriker
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not bothered by it because of the goriness, though... Although to be honest that certainly makes me squeamish. I am against it because I find the very act of harming another to be wrong. That's just how I've always felt.

Now regardless of what I said above, I am not a "hardline" pacifist. I only mentioned my aversion to violence in this topic because swords are very violent weapons. Their injuries are fatal or near fatal... Or at least crippling. I am not for that at all.

True, but as dependent on the situation and the foe, sometimes death is the only outcome. I'm not saying the attacker "deserves" to die, but that the defender is in the right to use the amount of force that is necessary to live beyond the encounter.

Having that kind of "in the moment" judgment is exactly why I study the martial arts, even and especially those that involve the sword. Temperance, control, decisiveness. Knowing how to take a life if needed, makes it that much easier to spare one when not needed. 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Sword schools do offer plenty of unarmed techniques as well, both Eastern and Western disciplines. German Longsword involves a great deal of grappling while katana schools tend to focus more on strikes and throws. In addition plenty also teach staff and knife techniques, either very practical weapons.

Just because it's old and even obsolete for the battlefield doesn't mean it has no place in our world beyond sentiment. Really, if war is the end all be all by which we judge the worth of everything, then we truly are nothing more than the savages the misanthropes claim us to be.

Not going to disagree here, you made some pretty good points.

But the whole point I was attempting to make was that it bothered me on how much people hold swords (specifically Japanese) in such high regard and often overestimate their abilities, I'm not here to criticize practitioners or hobbyists if I was, I'd be a hypocrite, all I'm saying is that it's a dangerous idea to overestimate a sword and it's limits especially in the increasingly dangerous world where crimes committed using firearms is the norm. If someone thinks they have a decent chance defending themselves with a bladed weapon in the event of an armed home invasion is rather foolish. Universally accepted disciplines, philosophies, and techniques present in various combat arts, both old and new, sword or not, can and are definitely useful today and valuing them as simply offensive savage techniques meant only to bring the death of individual would be ignorant. As a fan and dedicated follower of the sword carrying community, I don't want to see our image tarnished with the arrogant idea that swords are superior and more noble to wield than other defensive tools

Also, this forum's sort of an odd place to discuss this, lol

• Brohoof 1

Not going to disagree here, you made some pretty good points.

But the whole point I was attempting to make was that it bothered me on how much people hold swords (specifically Japanese) in such high regard and often overestimate their abilities, I'm not here to criticize practitioners or hobbyists if I was, I'd be a hypocrite, all I'm saying is that it's a dangerous idea to overestimate a sword and it's limits especially in the increasingly dangerous world where crimes committed using firearms is the norm. If someone thinks they have a decent chance defending themselves with a bladed weapon in the event of an armed home invasion is rather foolish. Universally accepted disciplines, philosophies, and techniques present in various combat arts, both old and new, sword or not, can and are definitely useful today and valuing them as simply offensive savage techniques meant only to bring the death of individual would be ignorant. As a fan and dedicated follower of the sword carrying community, I don't want to see our image tarnished with the arrogant idea that swords are superior and more noble to wield than other defensive tools

Agreed to a certain extent. Just from a brief look, anyone trying to assault me in my apartment is going to be hard pressed to not get skewered. I'll give you that a trusting weapon is probably better to have than a katana, which it's also serviceable if not optimal as. (Not that I have either weapon unfortunately.  >_> ) Firearms are indeed a game changer, significantly more than other personal weapons, but that doesn't mean they are a game stopper.

You're right though, holding any weapon as being, in of itself, above and superior is dangerous. As I've said, the man makes the weapon. For a good example of this principle in action, see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Agreed to a certain extent. Just from a brief look, anyone trying to assault me in my apartment is going to be hard pressed to not get skewered. I'll give you that a trusting weapon is probably better to have than a katana, which it's also serviceable if not specialized as. (Not that I have either weapon unfortunately.  >_> ) Firearms are indeed a game changer, significantly more than other personal weapons, but that doesn't mean they are a game stopper.

You're right though, holding any weapon as being, in of itself, above and superior is dangerous. As I've said, the man makes the weapon. For a good example of this principle in action, see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Definitely, an experienced tactician, armed or not, could very well outdo an inexperienced armed attacker.

• Brohoof 1

Swords are okay, but when it comes to melee weapons I've always been a big fan of polearms, such as Pikes, Bills, and Halberds. Far more practical to me and you can keep your opponent at a distance. A Swiss Peasant killed Charles the Bold with a Halberd in a single swing, ending the Burgundian Wars.

If I had to choose a sword, though, it would be the Claymore.

Edited by Gangsta Dash
  • Brohoof 2

I can see why you'd say that, but honestly I'm not surprised. I've seen both religion and politics discussed completely civilly between bronies on this forum.

Why? How? Because we kick ass!  B)

Definitely, an experienced tactician, armed or not, could very well outdo an inexperienced armed attacker.

I know how to break a shooter's hold on his weapon, possibly his wrist or trigger finger along with it, then I have any number of options. My preferred method would be to feed the thug his own teeth with the butt of the gun.

Really, it could go either way. It revolves around the gun's presence, but all other factors are still present. Think of it this way: 

To me, the gun is a star. His inexperience, not gripping or protecting his weapon properly, the distance between us, the moves I know; all of these are moons and planets revolving around the gun but still independent and relevant. 

To our theoretical, tactless, thoughtless, wrathful, moron; the gun is a black hole. It consumes everything, it's gravity is such that nothing else matters as long as the reality is "I have a gun!" 

A reality that, in the above proposed scenario, would then swiftly change.

Sword are okay, but when it comes to melee weapons I've always been a big fan of polearms, such as Pikes, Bills, and Halberds. Far more practical to me and you can keep your opponent at a distance. A Swiss Peasant killed Charles the Bold with a Halberd in a single swing, ending the Burgundian Wars.

If I had to choose a sword, though, it would be the Claymore.

Nothing wrong with reach weapons and they can be just as artistic as they are practical. I know a couple of staff moves and would like to get better, and I certainly would love to learn how to use a spear.

In fact, in a zombie apocalypse, I'd actually prefer a spear over a sword. (Long reach, versatile, easy maintenance.)

• Brohoof 1

Nothing wrong with reach weapons and they can be just as artistic as they are practical. I know a couple of staff moves and would like to get better, and I certainly would love to learn how to use a spear.

In fact, in a zombie apocalypse, I'd actually prefer a spear over a sword. (Long reach, versatile, easy maintenance.)

I agree completely.

It's true that the use of a sword can be amazing to watch, but with polearms in general, even down to a simple wooden polestaff, it can absolutely beautiful to watch the movements one can make with them. They also look great during ceremonies; that's where a lot of my love for the Halberd comes from is from the elaborate Halberds used during ceremonies. Just a beautiful weapon with such practicality to me.

As for during the zombie apocalypse... if I was strong and skilled enough, I would be wielding a one hundred foot Pike and be poking the zombie's brains through their eye sockets.

• Brohoof 1

As for during the zombie apocalypse... if I was strong and skilled enough, I would be wielding a one hundred foot Pike and be poking the zombie's brains through their eye sockets.

Ah our friend the zombie. They hold such terror for us because of what they represent, but individually are so easily killable in enjoyable ways.

I agree swords are cool  ^_^

although I don't support war and all this combat for the bad swords in themselves are awesome.

I don't think anyone in their right mind supports war as a practice unto itself. I mean, do you think the officers and grunts that get deployed are any more pro-war than you?

I hope it's something we can minimize, but there will always be conflict. The entire point of the separated districts and eponymous Hunger Games was to exorcize the need for war. Yet would you say that waging a war against such a government was entirely immoral?

An absence of war itself doesn't mean a society is peaceful.

As much as I prefer to personally distance the practice from it, swordsmanship was, is, and always will be a martial art. It was a skill developed for the ability to kill on the battlefield, it can be distanced but never truly divorced from that root. To say "swords are cool" but claiming that the all wars they were used in were not, is to tacitly call everyone who was KIA, sword in hand, morally in the wrong.

• Brohoof 1

@@Steel Accord,

Uhm.. I guess..? I'm not really sure I got an idea of what you are meaning to say

Be that as it may, "intuition" is only as good as your personal experience with something is plenteous, anyway

Half the time or more it means that there is no functional difference between "action" and "premeditated action"