Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Hey guys, I didn't use to think it was possible for a good gaming build to be built under 600 but CultOfMush proved me wrong. This packs a FX 6300, a 750TI, 8GB ram and a ATX mobo all for 450 USD, which puts it in the same price point as a PS4 or Xbone.

Also unrelated, but I've been trying to get a friend looking for a gaming PC to build one instead of getting a laptop and he says he doesn't have space [bS ive seen it XD], so how do I convince him?

• Brohoof 1

GTA V for the PC delayed again.

http://www.windowscentral.com/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-launch-date-gets-delayed-until-march-24

On the bright side, they've finally announced the system requirements. Intel Core 2 Quad/Phenom 9850 and a GT 9800/Radeon HD 4870 on the minimums, Core i5/FX-83500 and GTX 660/Radeon HD 7870 on the recommended. Not bad, honestly.

• Brohoof 1

GTA V for the PC delayed again.

http://www.windowscentral.com/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-launch-date-gets-delayed-until-march-24

On the bright side, they've finally announced the system requirements. Intel Core 2 Quad/Phenom 9850 and a GT 9800/Radeon HD 4870 on the minimums, Core i5/FX-83500 and GTX 660/Radeon HD 7870 on the recommended. Not bad, honestly.

That's actually pretty manageable for a game that seems to look as good as the next-gen version of GTAV. 

I hope my FX-8320 keeps holding out. 

That's actually pretty manageable for a game that seems to look as good as the next-gen version of GTAV. 

I hope my FX-8320 keeps holding out. 

FX-8320 is basically an underclocked, lower-binned 8350, so you should be fine.

• Brohoof 2

I recently got a game on Steam that I've been interested in for a long time: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. The idea of running an item shop and sometimes going dungeon crawling for materials appealed to me.

When I finally started playing the game? It turns out it's basically the exact same thing as the Atelier series but instead of alchemy being the focus it's running the shop.

Haggling with customers is kinda addicting and while it sucks balls when a customer doesn't buy something expensive even at base price (I really needed that extra 3000 :( ) it really adds to the complexity of the game. It's not just as simple as selling things at a set price and managing money. There's actually some variation to what customers will accept is a good price and they'll even try to bluff you into lower prices. I definitely enjoy it.

---

A question about game screen size for you experts: Does a game run better in window mode or fullscreen? Why is that? Does it depend on the game and how it's made or even the computer itself?

If it helps, I play on a laptop that's not specifically made for gaming but can run a lot of games pretty easily.

FX-8320 is basically an underclocked, lower-binned 8350, so you should be fine.

I should probably get my cooler upgraded so I can switch my mobo to "performance". 

A question about game screen size for you experts: Does a game run better in window mode or fullscreen? Why is that? Does it depend on the game and how it's made or even the computer itself?

If it helps, I play on a laptop that's not specifically made for gaming but can run a lot of games pretty easily.

I think fullscreen(something to do with the game being able to utilize more of the GPU is it's full-screen)

At least I know Minecraft is like that. 

Help over here, my games keep randomly alt-tabbing/flickering like they want to.

It's kinda random and sometimes I can go a whole session of several hours without it happening but other times it's what feels like every five minutes.  Take into account how many games like to crash when you alt-tab them and it's a real pain. 

Help over here, my games keep randomly alt-tabbing/flickering like they want to.

It's kinda random and sometimes I can go a whole session of several hours without it happening but other times it's what feels like every five minutes. Take into account how many games like to crash when you alt-tab them and it's a real pain.

If it's all games, it's gotta be drivers or some hardware issue. Have you installed any new software lately?

If it's all games, it's gotta be drivers or some hardware issue. Have you installed any new software lately?

Nope.

I'm using the HDD out of my old computer and NEVER had this problem before.

Nope.

I'm using the HDD out of my old computer and NEVER had this problem before.

Possibly an errant program running in the background.

Years ago, Toshiba laptops shipped with a hotkey program that would interfere in odd ways, such as the alt-tabbing/flickering. Killed the task. No more problems.

Possibly an errant program running in the background.

Years ago, Toshiba laptops shipped with a hotkey program that would interfere in odd ways, such as the alt-tabbing/flickering. Killed the task. No more problems.

This came out of a Lenovo AIO Desktop. 

This came out of a Lenovo AIO Desktop. 

Wouldn't hurt to thin out the startup list a bit.

Apparently, because of my bad internet connection TF2 cannot download very quickly.

But I can't keep my PC on all night because it would automatically turn it off.

What a shame.

I'm guessing it's not going to sleep and there's something else wrong with it.

Edited by Lunatic Envy

The only thing i can afford is a laptop that my friend gave me: Dell Latitude D530. This thing runs fine for what i need it to do, videos, browser games and what not, but what i hate most is the people who make fun of me for having this one. Its really disrespectful and hurtful.

Edited by Rosemary
  • Brohoof 1

Got a news slash for you guys, and you're gonna hate it, nothing personal, just need to clear up what the phrase you say means:

1HGZIpg.png

I rest my case. "PC master race" is a joke meant to piss off console fanboys and is not to be taken seriously. I can see how you guys would think it is serious, but no. Most of us aren't being serious when we say "PC master race".

• Brohoof 2

I ignore it, and just stay out of it. The people drag me into their arguments when i want nothing to do with it. All i wish for is some peace, is that too much to ask for?

Why yes. It's just that some of us prefer a more... open ecosystem than consoles provide.

You know things are seriously fucked up when a site targeting mostly consoles defends the term "PC master race" from a site focused on the PC.

• Brohoof 1

Just to let you know, i have no ill will against pc gamers. I respect some of them who act professional, sorry if this caused any problems. Ever met someone who would not leave you alone? I had to report this guy who would harass me for not being a "PC Gamer", whats so fun about that? some people prefer consoles, while others prefer pc. Why must everyone start a war over it? Its not really a matter of who's joking, just the person that you say it to. 

If you say it to a passive person like me, you won't get a reaction, but say to someone who's a fanboy and boom, instant flame war.

Edited by Rosemary

I don't have anything against most console gamers either, it's the hardcore Microsoft and Sony fanboys that go like "LOL THE PS4/XBOX IS DA BEST THING EVAR PC R TEH SUX0RZ" that I do. Those that aren't like that and see the ups and downs of each platform, like consoles are pretty simple to setup while the PC is an open platform, I am fine with.

• Brohoof 2

I'm never like them, its those who say what you say they do that get on my nerves. I doubt a single one knows anything about a processor, so they act like a know it all. There's two sides, one that says the pc is better and the other who will retaliate and come up with some poor educated statement. All types of gaming system's have a vulnerability, pc's get their crashing moments, while consoles have some FPS, or overheating moments. But its a huge list, so i can't really say anything much about it.

Feel free to correct me if you wish, i like to learn as i go.

Edited by Rosemary

Working on some start-up and problem cleaning, can't help but think all the Intel crap running on a PC with no Intel-Parts might be a problem. 

You don't say? Just like how it would be with AMD things on my PC, which has no AMD parts.

• Brohoof 1