Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

(edited)

You might want to install a linux distro or windows XP, I can say first hand that running windows 7 on 1 GB of RAM is usually absolute hell. But maybe the starter version isn't as resource intensive.

Today I decided to see how much it would cost to build a computer with the exact same specs as the $4000 Mac Pro workstation. The price came in at $2300-2400, depending on the case used. Absolutely ridiculous that anyone would spend $4000 for that.

Though to be fair, there are plenty of PC companies that also overcharge for their junk.

img-3723824-1-6bu5bsu.jpg

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 1

You might want to install a linux distro or windows XP, I can say first hand that running windows 7 on 1 GB of RAM is usually absolute hell. But maybe the starter version isn't as resource intensive.

I'm half-tempted to find a Linux build with a good GUI and customization for it, even more so since the "Starter Edition" of Win7 is so stripped that I needed a third-party program to even change the wallpaper.

11182232_1082603478423517_69878628258131

Still though, it seems to be running far better now that I loaded up Chrome with ad-block and exchanged all the Norton crap for AVG Free.

I'm half-tempted to find a Linux build with a good GUI and customization for it, even more so since the "Starter Edition" of Win7 is so stripped that I needed a third-party program to even change the wallpaper.

11182232_1082603478423517_69878628258131

Still though, it seems to be running far better now that I loaded up Chrome with ad-block and exchanged all the Norton crap for AVG Free.

Have you looked at Linux Mint? I'm not a primarily Linux user, but it's probably my favorite distro.

Have you looked at Linux Mint? I'm not a primarily Linux user, but it's probably my favorite distro.

Might look into it and see if I can do a dual-boot or something, so I still have windows at the ready for playing DOSbox stuff on the run or something.

Might look into it and see if I can do a dual-boot or something, so I still have windows at the ready for playing DOSbox stuff on the run or something.

DOSbox runs on Linux too.

Still though, I'd feel safer with a windows-boot as a back-up in case I need the compatibility. 

All right then, whatever floats your boat.

(edited)

I personally wouldn't put Linux on my main PC, because there's too many applications I use that are really hard, if not impossible to run on it, and that'll be even more the case when I build a proper gaming rig. But for an older PC that's just used for basic browsing and google docs editing, something like LXLE (which is what I use) or Mint is great.

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm so used to using Windows, I can't imagine using another OS. I will say I used Apple OS at my elementary school way back in like the late 90s. It used some gray tile layout without the traditional desktop.

Edited by Celli

I personally wouldn't put Linux on my main PC, because there's too many applications I use that are really hard, if not impossible to run on it, and that'll be even more the case when I build a proper gaming rig. But for an older PC that's just used for basic browsing and google docs editing, something like LXLE (which is what I use) or Mint is great.

If I ever tried Lunix, it would honestly be something that I'd either dual-boot or get a cheap laptop/netbook second-hand for. I wouldn't use it on a primary PC.

Linux is the best. That and Win98. I currently have 3 distros (Mint, Korora, Ubuntu). I'm using Mint right now, and Korora's out-of-service, so to speak, and I don't like Ubuntu that much.

I'd honestly take Windows XP over 95/98, and Windows 7/8/8.1 hasn't given me any problems.

Vista sucks, though.

If I ever tried Lunix, it would honestly be something that I'd either dual-boot or get a cheap laptop/netbook second-hand for. I wouldn't use it on a primary PC.

I'd honestly take Windows XP over 95/98, and Windows 7/8/8.1 hasn't given me any problems.

Vista sucks, though.

I used Vista before and didn't mind it that much. What was wrong with it?

Also, most Linux users have Win7 out of necessity, but we all pirate it because we hate Microsoft.

Also, most Linux users have Win7 out of necessity, but we all pirate it because we hate Microsoft.

Inexplicably slow performance for one. File copy operations were significantly slower on Vista than XP. I believe they eventually did fix it a few service packs later. 7 was what Vista should have been.

(edited)

Vista was pretty bad at launch. SP2 is fine, though.

The worst Windows release ever was Me, though. Ugh, just saying that brings back some pretty bad memories.

Edited by Daring

(edited)

The issue I had was HORRID compatibility for stuff that wasn't built from the ground-up with it in mind. It also had little-to-no backwards compatibility with even recent stuff that ran on XP (the OS that was in heavy use right before it came out)

Edited by Shoboni

I remember how people complained about Windows Vista's "high" system requirements. Well, I guess they were a bit high for 2007, especially the 128MB VRAM requirement, but in today's world that's no longer a huge problem.

I remember how people complained about Windows Vista's "high" system requirements. Well, I guess they were a bit high for 2007, especially the 128MB VRAM requirement, but in today's world that's no longer a huge problem.

Well the Windows Aero feature, even to this day, is a major resource hog.

I hear folks say Vista bears a ugly UI and was incredibly unstable in terms of performance.

Well the Windows Aero feature, even to this day, is a major resource hog.

I hear folks say Vista bears a ugly UI and was incredibly unstable in terms of performance.

Well, since Windows Vista, Windows has been getting lighter and lighter. I think it says something when Windows has better RAM management than Android and iOS/OS X.

Well, since Windows Vista, Windows has been getting lighter and lighter. I think it says something when Windows has better RAM management than Android and iOS/OS X.

Yeah, I can see that. I own two Android phones with performance bogged down by their bulky operating systems, brand new and fresh out the box with my best attempts at removing the bloatware, RAM usage will still remain high.

Yeah, I can see that. I own two Android phones with performance bogged down by their bulky operating systems, brand new and fresh out the box with my best attempts at removing the bloatware, RAM usage will still remain high.

And OS X too. Good luck using OS X 10.10 on a laptop with 2GB RAM and a spinning mech drive. You'll need it.