Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony is an overrated cartoon.

Zenoctilles

82 users have voted

1. 1. Is MLP:FIM overrated?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe just a little bit

Alright, I'm gonna provide a few points about why I believe that My Little Pony is not overrated

1)People would be enthralled by the idea of such an odd aged fandom for a little girls show but in the end would you join a group of people who love something that you do not? Curiosity is one thing but becoming a fan of a show just based on the odd fanbase is something entirely different.

2)My Little Pony is a cartoon that brings us back to our past, nostalgia favourite cartoons. Most of the cartoons you have posted up there are all olden cartoons, created a while back. After those cartoons, the level and imagination of most animations and cartoons has drastically declined. The show is fantastic because it is the only cartoon I know at the amount that has the ability to compete for a place on the list of best overall cartoon show. Most cartoons these days are very bland, cheap laughs and meh animation but this show is based in the same manner as the older, fantastic cartoons.

3) Uh...have you seen the way we are portrayed on the internet? We're certainly not "rose-tinted" by other groups and communities. In fact, we are viewed pretty poorly by a lot of people. A lot of people classify us as homosexuals and creepy, crazy weirdos because of the show we watch. In the grand scheme of things, we are viewed more through darkened, abysmal glass then rose-tinted glass.

There are fan communities for older cartoons? These older cartoons were young once and I wouldn't be surprised if their fanbase began in the same way that ours has begun. My Little Pony is not overrated, it is a cartoon show that has decimated the competition for its time. Its animation is fantastic, the storyline is great and the fanbase is made up of people who want to be there, not just people who want to feel a part of something special. I would gladly fight for the right to say that My Little Pony is not overrated.

See? this is the kind of post which gets you alot of brohoofs. It has to be long and detailed. So, there you have it!

So, yeah, MLP is not overrated!

I find the whole MLP phenomena to be fascinating in itself. I will say that I find other cartoons to be more entertaining (Dexter's Lab is still my favorite), but I don't know that I have ever seen another one that causes me to think as much as this one does. There is just so much depth to the characters, I guess. I feel like I usually take something away from the show, or learn something important. I can't really say that about any other cartoon. Nor do I remember becoming so attached to the characters of any cartoon, except possibly when I was a little kid.

That might be why there is a fanbase like this one. As with the Star Trek following, we are a group of people who watch the show, and are inspired to discuss the things that we saw rather than just to say "neat show, what's on next?"

There is also the cult aspect to it, since being a Brony makes one feel like part of a counter-culture. It is heightened in this respect because of the anger that it seems to cause in other people throughout the internet, so it makes one feel like a rebel to be a fan.

And to be honest, there is still the delightful irony of something like My Little Pony turning out to be so good. I mean, who would have foreseen it? It is so incredibly random and unexpected. So we watch an episode, and sit there thinking to ourselves "how could this show possibly be this great?" Then we feel compelled to talk about this anomaly with others.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Honestly, I don't see how the show can be considered overrated though. It gets riffed all the time, even by Bronies. And not every episode is the greatest episode ever made. They're good, but it's not like each episode is always better than the last. Even fans have admitted to this. I'VE admitted to this. That's not overrating something. It's being objective.

But what FiM DOES have that we like, are memorable characters, well-written (if cliche) plotlines, and that certain inexplicable (and admittedly, not entirely rational) Tenchi Muyo-esque charm that comes from the animation style. Not to mention, as I've said before, this is the first time I've ever legitimately given a crap about anything story-related in My Little Pony.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Overrated is a subjective term, you may like the other shows more than MLP:FiM, but you do not represent the entire fan base.

Like I never understand why the Diablo series is so popular, from my point of view, it's just an action/strategy RPG with bad story writing, but people are crazy for it. Is the Diablo series really overrated? Only to me.

Edited by JackTheTurkey

I agree with this thread. I recently started rewatching the show over from the beginning and it just hit me how painfully average and cliched this show is. It's really jarring because this show would be unnoticeable if it weren't for all the memes. In fact, I'm starting to agree with the haters on this one that the Bronies are overpropagating an overused meme, because some of the more intrusive Bronies have a habit of invading places that have barely anything to do with ponies. I actually left the fanbase because of this.

In the past few weeks, I've come to question my fascination with My Little Pony more and more. To this end, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. My Little Pony became popular only because people were enthralled with the idea of being a part of a fan community that surrounded a media franchise that shouldn't have had such a big fandom (outside of little girls and women in their 30s and 40s) to begin with.

2. My Little Pony is a good cartoon, but not a great one. I can easily name a few other cartoons which exceed it in terms of writing and characters: The Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Invader Zim, Hey Arnold!, Courage: The Cowardly Dog, and even Lauren Faust's own Powerpuff Girls.

3. The way the Internet blew up My Little Pony is one reason why so many people view it through rose-tinted glasses. The show is good, but not that good. Perhaps the vibrant fan community makes people think differently, but from an objective standpoint, My Little Pony is an above-average cartoon at best.

To this end, My Little Pony is overrated. Why don't other similar fan communities erupt for old cartoons? Oh right, because they have failed to become memes like MLP!

Hey everypony, look at the person bashing MLP on a forum just for MLP!

It's hard to judge this show as overrated. The franchise was meant for little girls, but when Lauren Faust was hired by Hasbro, she gave the show a very colorful perspective by giving the ponies character, adding adventurous stories, upbeat musical numbers, adding humor, telling the story about friendship and the flaws to go with it. Faust is smart in giving this show as much life by bringing in a talented staff such as voice-over actors, animators, the writers, and so on.

Not many cartoons can pull off the success like this show did imo. We've all watched this show because it's very appealing and it encourage us to be creative around the show by making parodies of the show, make the music and create the art.

This cartoon show is not overrated. It's a great cartoon that everypony for all ages can agree on.

I agree with this thread. I recently started rewatching the show over from the beginning and it just hit me how painfully average and cliched this show is. It's really jarring because this show would be unnoticeable if it weren't for all the memes. In fact, I'm starting to agree with the haters on this one that the Bronies are overpropagating an overused meme, because some of the more intrusive Bronies have a habit of invading places that have barely anything to do with ponies. I actually left the fanbase because of this.

And just how would you define "painfully average and cliched"? What exactly are you comparing it to?

It's way better than a lot of other cartoons I have watched recently. It took more talent and actual effort to write, and as far as I'm concerned, it shows.

And btw, without "all the memes", how do you expect the writers to come up with "original" content? After thousands of years of art, do you think there's anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, that has NEVER been created? Would you rather they made obscure references, to centuries-old books or isolated cultures, that nobody but a small "educated" group can get?

(edited)

Everything is overrated.

I personally think Futurama is the best show ever since there's pretty much limitless possibilities the show can do in fan fiction and the show itself, but I know not everyone is gonna agree with me. And I put My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic as one of my favorite shows, I don't like putting any show I like in second place, so I'll just say it's one of my favorite shows.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, references always improve the way people perceive an artwork. Not just memes, but also folk tale references (like the Cinderella one in the Gala episode) and any other kinds of cultural reference.

Human memory works by associating new sensory input with what it already knows. A show that tries to be "original" by avoiding any kind of stereotype will not have such strong impact, as one that uses known things to stimulate the viewer's memory.

Here's a long DA journal on the matter of originality.

Bet you didn't know some of your favorite shows/movies/songs were "ripoffs". I didn't. Does that make them overrated?

I don't care if you think it does, as long as you avoid double standards.

That's why I have nothing against what Rush is saying, because unlike a lot of people I've spoken to, he doesn't mix up personal opinion and absolute fact.

Edited by Feather Spiral

I certainly don't agree with your statement but I do

In the past few weeks, I've come to question my fascination with My Little Pony more and more. To this end, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. My Little Pony became popular only because people were enthralled with the idea of being a part of a fan community that surrounded a media franchise that shouldn't have had such a big fandom (outside of little girls and women in their 30s and 40s) to begin with.

2. My Little Pony is a good cartoon, but not a great one. I can easily name a few other cartoons which exceed it in terms of writing and characters: The Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Invader Zim, Hey Arnold!, Courage: The Cowardly Dog, and even Lauren Faust's own Powerpuff Girls.

3. The way the Internet blew up My Little Pony is one reason why so many people view it through rose-tinted glasses. The show is good, but not that good. Perhaps the vibrant fan community makes people think differently, but from an objective standpoint, My Little Pony is an above-average cartoon at best.

To this end, My Little Pony is overrated. Why don't other similar fan communities erupt for old cartoons? Oh right, because they have failed to become memes like MLP!

I certainly don't agree with you but I respect your opinion. I still believe the show deserves it's praise for it's writing, morals that aren't shoved down your face, and etc.

Still, I can understand...but yes, Gir needs a meme :3 "Now self destruct. FINALLY HEEHEHE"

I like the show cause of the characters and their personality not cause its popular hell i when i started watching i dident know it was an internet meme or w/e i just found a pony mod for Skyrim and checked out the show cause the song sounded nice. (Pinkie Pie's Smile)

So i watched a few episodes then my cousin saw me (He is known as DualEdge here) and said "Oh your a brony now?"

He told me what it was i googled it and found this place.

• Brohoof 1

And just how would you define "painfully average and cliched"? What exactly are you comparing it to?

It's way better than a lot of other cartoons I have watched recently. It took more talent and actual effort to write, and as far as I'm concerned, it shows.

I was comparing it to literally any slice-of-life children's cartoon. The episode premises, the punchlines and the character's personalities have already done countless of times before in cartoons and live-action alike. I don't have a problem with that because it's really difficult to come up with something original (which I guess I should have said in my first post here) but I really don't get why people are saying how original it is.

And btw, without "all the memes", how do you expect the writers to come up with "original" content?

I don't really see what you mean by that, please elaborate.

After thousands of years of art, do you think there's anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, that has NEVER been created? Would you rather they made obscure references, to centuries-old books or isolated cultures, that nobody but a small "educated" group can get?

I think that would be extremely out-of-place in any cartoon, even the ones that are like Phineas and Ferb that make really obscure references and jokes that even adults wouldn't get. I really don't see why you seem angry in your post. I just started looking at this show with utter apathy because I don't see what the big deal about it is.

Whilst I dislike the idea of having a single favourite anything, I can understand where you come from when you say that MLP is overrated. But then again, there are things that are far more overrated than this.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So many replies. Heh.

Well here's my standpoint.

1 - I believe the show wouldn't have the "Addiction Factor" if it wasn't for the brony community.

2 - A lot of fans relate to the characters and their problems. Whether it be having shyness problems like Fluttershy, the book reading of Twilight, the Workin' hard like Applejack, the random party-er like Pinkie, the Thrill for adventure like Rainbow, or the Fashion police like Rarity, we all relate to one of these characters one some way or another. And if not, then that person usually relates themselves to background pony. Like that HUB commercial, "There's a pony for that."

3 - OCs. Yes, the fact that this is a separate world from are own gives it even more appeal. The fact this world is new and, ahem, "magical," makes people love the show. There's places that have been mentioned on the show, but not shown. This is a big factor for "Fan-fics". I'm betting a large majority of us, even though we can't write, have some kind of fan-fic made up in our mind.

Edited by Skar
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The community isn't the reason I've come to love the show though. I just discovered it when someone posted it on another forum I used to frequent, watched a few episodes, and liked it.

I only found out later about the brony community, visual fan art, fan fiction... fan MUSIC!

@SN64:

1) The originality comes from the combination of all the good things, including references and such. If you think it's because of each element separately, I think you're being too simplistic. Like the Elements of Harmony, the magic of the show happens when all other elements are united.

2) I elaborated in the third part you quoted. I put these sentences together in one paragraph for this very reason, because they were talking about the same thing.

3) I was simply countering your argument that the memes make all of the show's success and actually make it lame. I was angry because, just as I said in #1, you're reducing the entire show (with its elements and the interaction between them) to an overused meme.

You imply that the memes are the only key factor here, when there are also all the things I mention in my previous post:

Well, references always improve the way people perceive an artwork. Not just memes, but also folk tale references (like the Cinderella one in the Gala episode) and any other kinds of cultural reference.

Human memory works by associating new sensory input with what it already knows. A show that tries to be "original" by avoiding any kind of stereotype will not have such strong impact, as one that uses known things to stimulate the viewer's memory.

Edited by Feather Spiral

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? mlp is awesome!

The community isn't the reason I've come to love the show though. I just discovered it when someone posted it on another forum I used to frequent, watched a few episodes, and liked it.

I only found out later about the brony community, visual fan art, fan fiction... fan MUSIC!

@SN64:

1) The originality comes from the combination of all the good things, including references and such. If you think it's because of each element separately, I think you're being too simplistic. Like the Elements of Harmony, the magic of the show happens when all other elements are united.

2) I elaborated in the third part you posted. I put them in the same paragraph, why'd you separate them?

3) I was simply countering your argument that the memes make all of the show's success and actually make it lame. I was angry because, just as I said in #1, you're reducing the entire show (with its elements and the interaction between them) to an overused meme.

You imply that the memes are the only key factor here, when there are also all the things I mention in my previous post:

1) A lot of shows have those combinations, make references to other things and have plot elements that only work when used together.

2) I see.

3) I never said memes were the only key factor to the success of the show or made it lame, and I'm not trying to undermine the show's success by saying it's an overused meme, but if you think about it, if most of the lines from the show that became memes had been said in any other children's cartoon instead, they wouldn't have become memes. It just seems like the memes from this show are memes just because they're in this show. I only said the haters have a reason to say it's an overused meme because there's so many of them. Just take a look at this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Memes/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic . The fanbase has a tendency to turn anything into a meme, from throwaway lines to fan-made works, to the point where you'd think Fluttershy is obsessed with becoming a tree, for example.

(edited)

Yes, it used to be a show for little girls and women in their (30s-40s), but I believe we can all agree that it has evolved farther than that. Not to mention how well made the animation and voice acting is done. It's very smooth and without much flaw. However, it is much more than that. Each season the show matures more, who knows what'll happen in season three. Specially the finale.

And besides, what right do you have to judge? If someone likes it, don't go bursting their bubble, no matter how much you DISLIKE it. I personally like my little pony, the art and animation is fantastic! Also, why post it in a MY LITTLE PONY FORUM? That's just sad.

Edited by ShadowLadyEsme

the way people hype up lots of things make them overrated, there's no point in trying to like scientifically prove whether or not a show is good or something it's just an opinion... I like the show and I kinda think it's at least on par if not superior to hey arnold, but cartoons like ed edd n eddy and teen titans will always be the best to me