My Little Pony is an overrated cartoon.

Zenoctilles

82 users have voted

1. 1. Is MLP:FIM overrated?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe just a little bit

(edited)

A lot of shows have those combinations, make references to other things and have plot elements that only work when used together.

Then I'm sure they're being given the attention they deserve. Unless channels refuse to air them because "they are good enough not to need advertisement", but is that really our fault? Is it really worth leaving Bronydom, instead of becoming a fan of those shows as well?

I never said memes were the only key factor to the success of the show or made it lame, and I'm not trying to undermine the show's success by saying it's an overused meme

It's really jarring because this show would be unnoticeable if it weren't for all the memes. In fact, I'm starting to agree with the haters on this one that the Bronies are overpropagating an overused meme

Please explain the first underlined phrase, and what the "overused meme" is in the second. To me, it looks like you're saying "this show would be utter void without the memes, and bronies are excessively spreading an excessive meme".

but if you think about it, if most of the lines from the show that became memes had been said in any other children's cartoon instead, they wouldn't have become memes. It just seems like the memes from this show are memes just because they're in this show. I only said the haters have a reason to say it's an overused meme because there's so many of them. Just take a look at this: http://tvtropes.org/...iendshipIsMagic . The fanbase has a tendency to turn anything into a meme, from throwaway lines to fan-made works, to the point where you'd think Fluttershy is obsessed with becoming a tree, for example.

I know a forum whose members kept spamming Spiderman images with captions. It wasn't a Spiderman forum, nor a cartoon forum in general, and the images weren't even contributing to the discussions.

See, we aren't the only fandom that "turns everything into a meme".

EDIT: I forgot to mention there were also two members, both in the staff, who did the same with Starcraft. Especially the Admin who, despite complaints and several requests to stop (cordial or aggressive), kept trolling us about how "enlightened" he was for playing it.

Also TvTropes exaggerates everything to the extreme, so I don't consider it a reliable source at all.

Edited by Feather Spiral

Please explain the first underlined phrase, and what the "overused meme" is in the second. To me, it looks like you're saying "this show would be utter void without the memes, and bronies are excessively spreading an excessive meme".

*sigh* For the first one, I meant to say that if the show hadn't become so popular on the Internet, it would just be a show you wouldn't give a second look at if you were just changing the channels, unless your daughter or little sister wants to watch it. And for the second, I meant that with the rising popularity of the show, more intrusive Bronies are occasionnally invading places that have barely to do with it, if at all.

I know a forum whose members kept spamming Spiderman images with captions. It wasn't a Spiderman forum, nor a cartoon forum in general, and the images weren't even contributing to the discussions.

See, we aren't the only fandom that "turns everything into a meme".

Also TvTropes exaggerates everything to the extreme, so I don't consider it a reliable source at all.

But even the shows that have their own page for memes on TV Tropes don't have nearly as many examples as FiM.

See, this is why I'm leaving the fanbase. You guys are just way too defensive about this show, to the point that when someone isn't into the show anymore, people like you keep arguing with them and trying to contradict them. Over a cartoon about ponies originally intended for selling toys for little girls, no less! I know that Lauren Faust's original intention was to create a show for little girls to enjoy, but also their parents, by throwing in a few references to things kids wouldn't understand, but you're just taking this way too far.

(edited)

The first one doesn't apply to me and a lot of other bronies I know, unless you count indirect influence - the more popular something is, the likelier I am to be introduced to it. Anyway, I didn't check it out again because of its popularity, but because I liked it the first time.

The second is also true for Pokemon fans.

We don't argue with you for leaving the show, we argue with you for arguing with us. In other words, as far as I'm concerned, we're not opposing your views, but the way you present them as fact.

And it's not our fault if the show's creators made it enjoyable by such a wide audience.

Why the hell is this thread still in my followed list, anyway?

*removes*

Edited by Feather Spiral

When I started watching it I didn't even know what a brony was (yes I live under a rock) so I didn't like it because of the fan base or to seem cool but it does make the series a lot more fun to watch, I don't know why. Just does.

(edited)

I now remembered why I was following this thread. It's because of all the arguments explaining why it's NOT overrated. :)

MLP only looks so cliched because the haters are everywhere. Compared to a lot of works, even those made for adults and that receive so much praise, it's no more stereotyped.

I'll take the example of protagonist personalities and pick two works: Harry Potter (also used as an example in the DA journal I linked) and Tintin (one of my favorite franchises).

HP: The three-person team alone is an ovused theme, especially with the one girl that brings some "gender balance" to the even older three-boy/man combo. A fearful boy (Ron), picked on by classmates except his teammates, whose mishaps also serve as comic relief, but who grows to be more assertive; the inevitable bookworm and geek, initially proud and sensitive but who also grows up and finds out that books aren't everything; and of course the team leader, who is kind but can act tough when the situation calls for it (chessboard scene in part 1).

And Harry's backstory, good lord. The "sole survivor of something that was so powerful it killed everyone else but couldn't get to this one single person because of some mysterious protection or because the person was away" thing. When I thought about it, I laughed, I cried inside. And that person just happens to be the only one capable of beating the main villain, too.

Tintin: The young but strong and autonomous boy goes on adventures, where he not only solves mysteries no one else had before him, but also brings illegal activities into light and stops corrupted or ill-intentioned people. His dog who has human intelligence but can't talk, devoted enough to jump onto running cars or walk for kilometers just to catch up to his kidnapped owner. And of course, for comic relief again, a grumpy old man whose rudeness, double standards and mishaps entertain the reader.

Oh, and no matter how much trouble they're in, they'll always find a way out. Unless the way out finds them, like the professor (don't know his name in English) who brings his submarine's pieces which, in Red Rackham's Treasure, allows them to locate the sunken Unicorn.

Why all these cliches?

Because the human memory uses an associative technique.

MLP overrated?

[image with the right tags but the wrong URL]

Posted Image

Fixed. And agreed. :3

Edited by Feather Spiral

I like the show because the show is good. I didn't know about eqd or the forums for awhile after I started watching the show. One night, I decided I was gonna try this show that a person I sorta knew on YouTube liked. I watched the first two episodes, and I liked it because it was funny. Now, seeing the more epic episodes, I like it because it's funny, has good characters, good storyline, good animation; there's just not much I can say I dislike about it. :)

In the past few weeks, I've come to question my fascination with My Little Pony more and more. To this end, I have come to a few conclusions:

1. My Little Pony became popular only because people were enthralled with the idea of being a part of a fan community that surrounded a media franchise that shouldn't have had such a big fandom (outside of little girls and women in their 30s and 40s) to begin with.

2. My Little Pony is a good cartoon, but not a great one. I can easily name a few other cartoons which exceed it in terms of writing and characters: The Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Invader Zim, Hey Arnold!, Courage: The Cowardly Dog, and even Lauren Faust's own Powerpuff Girls.

3. The way the Internet blew up My Little Pony is one reason why so many people view it through rose-tinted glasses. The show is good, but not that good. Perhaps the vibrant fan community makes people think differently, but from an objective standpoint, My Little Pony is an above-average cartoon at best.

To this end, My Little Pony is overrated. Why don't other similar fan communities erupt for old cartoons? Oh right, because they have failed to become memes like MLP!

My biggest problem is your assertion that you have an "objective" viewpoint. Whether or not a show is 'good' or has 'good writing' is based entirely off of opinion.

Therefore, there is no such thing as being objective, as all your assertions would be subjectively based via your opinion.

Bottomline:

People may like MLP for varying reasons, but it still comes down to a large number of people liking it.

• Brohoof 4

MLP is probably one of the most well written cartoons i've ever seen, while powerpuff girls angry beavers and the like have good writing, but i feel they lack alot of jokes in comparrison. The internet has hypped it yes, but the show really is that good.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with the show for a while (the last episode I saw was the CMC newspaper episode). Nevertheless, this is a show I could enjoy for each individual episode - and it's certainly re-watchable. I'm still head-deep in the pony memes and bronyhood across various parts of the internet (it seems to be everywhere).

The first one doesn't apply to me and a lot of other bronies I know, unless you count indirect influence - the more popular something is, the likelier I am to be introduced to it. Anyway, I didn't check it out again because of its popularity, but because I liked it the first time.

The second is also true for Pokemon fans.

We don't argue with you for leaving the show, we argue with you for arguing with us. In other words, as far as I'm concerned, we're not opposing your views, but the way you present them as fact.

And it's not our fault if the show's creators made it enjoyable by such a wide audience.

Why the hell is this thread still in my followed list, anyway?

*removes*

I'm going to try to end this argument. When I first posted in this thread, I meant to say that I just wasn't into the show anymore so I left the fanbase because of that, but the fact that I mentioned how annoying I find the memes to be in between the two statements made it come across as if I thought the memes made the show unenjoyable, or something to that effect. I was just agreeing with the OP. Then you replied to me, which started this argument. I said that I was leaving the fanbase because of people like you because I was pissed at this argument. I was actually just leaving the fanbase because I'm not into the show anymore (but I misworded it, as I said). I don't really know why you said ''we don't argue with you for leaving the show, we argue with you for arguing with us'' because I was only agreeing with the OP, and we were the only two people here arguing. I apologize if I came across as if I was stating my opinions as a fact, that was not my intention at all. You think the show is great and that it isn't overrated, that's your opinion and you have a right to it. I think the show is pretty average and that it isn't anything special, that's my opinion. And I do know that it isn't the creator's fault the show is enjoyable by wide audiences, but that still applies to a good number of cartoons, and I just happened to not see what's so special about this show (I'm starting to repeat myself now). So in the end, we all have a right to be into a show or not be into it anymore. I hope this is finally ending our argument.

(edited)

1. My Little Pony became popular only because people were enthralled with the idea of being a part of a fan community that surrounded a media franchise that shouldn't have had such a big fandom (outside of little girls and women in their 30s and 40s) to begin with.

It became popular due to this in the beginning, I'm not going to argue with that. However, I know people who watched it because of this and disliked it. They never watched MLP:FiM again. The show continues to be popular due to people actually liking it. It is one of the few girls shows airing today with diverse characters, excellent animation, and amazing writing. The voice actresses and actors are just an added bonus with everything great about MLP. The majority of people who participate in the fandom don't do it just to be deviant from society's norm: they do it because they genuinely love the show.

2. My Little Pony is a good cartoon, but not a great one. I can easily name a few other cartoons which exceed it in terms of writing and characters: The Angry Beavers, Rugrats, Invader Zim, Hey Arnold!, Courage: The Cowardly Dog, and even Lauren Faust's own Powerpuff Girls.

The thing about this part of your post is that it's completely opinion based. I, personally, disagree with this. These cartoons are all excellent and quite enjoyable to watch, don't get me wrong. I believe, however, that My Little Pony has more clever writing and characters which I would much rather watch than those of these other shows. There are bronies who will agree with your statement, and those who will disagree. I am a part of the last group.

3. The way the Internet blew up My Little Pony is one reason why so many people view it through rose-tinted glasses. The show is good, but not that good. Perhaps the vibrant fan community makes people think differently, but from an objective standpoint, My Little Pony is an above-average cartoon at best.

First of all, people do not view My Little Pony and the brony community through rose-tinted glasses. Probably 90% of the non-brony internet population says that bronies are creepy, disturbing, or all cloppers!

Now, I don't know about you, but to me that isn't seeing us through rose-tinted glasses.

Edited by DiscordxChaos
  • Brohoof 2

post-4621-0-19367800-1338863207.jpg

But seriously though. I like MLP for the way it is. I started watching it and was freaked out that i liked a girls show. But then I heard of bronies and relized that I wasn't alone. I think the show is great and may be my favorite show ever. I has affected my life in positive ways and i think we all deserve a lesson in friendship.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the past few weeks, I've come to question my fascination with My Little Pony more and more. To this end, I have come to a few conclusions:

To this end, My Little Pony is overrated. Why don't other similar fan communities erupt for old cartoons? Oh right, because they have failed to become memes like MLP!

if it's overrated, then I'm still proud to be part of an OVERRATED show community.

Not much animation is nice for me, but this is simply the best.

and lots of people do find all memes of mlp funny.

Yeah, whether it's overrated or not is not the question. It's more important to think about the talent and effort put into it to make something enjoyable, to entertain without numbing and without resorting to technology abuse

Fluttershy is my mustache. Your argument is invalid.

Your mustache is a tree?

(edited)

That sure is stereotypical gender identity. Pokemon is geared towards children, yet many adults play it as well. Does that make Pokemon overrated as well?

Guess what. Most of those shows were 90's/early 2000's. Not many cartoons on air these days come close in comparison to being as great as those old shows. My Little Pony, while it's one of my personal favourites in terms of shows, certainly isn't the very best, end-all beat-all cartoon, but the flaws of the show are very few and I'd say it's up to par with most of the cartoons you listed. It's held in such high regard because it's bringing quality back to cartoons that cartoons have been lacking for so very long.

The only reason I checked out My Little Pony was because the fanbase seemed very inviting and accepting, y'know since their "sacred pillars" are love and tolerance. Those are two themes anyone could get behind. When watching, I began watching with the mindset that it was going to be the stupidest thing ever, just like most cartoons these days. I was enticed by how well-done they set up the villain, the smoothness of the animation, how it looked like the creators actually, you know, put forth an effort and didn't get lazy. Cartoons lack so much quality because of how lazy the creators seem to get. Animations are boring and repetitive in most shows I've watched recently.

Um no. Many things cartoon-related have become memes that got no fanbase.

Stu Making Chocolate Pudding at 4AM didn't spawn a large Rugrats fanbase, did it? What about the 60's Spiderman Meme? I've not seen a prominent 60's Spiderman fanbase. The Nigel Thornberry meme, no notable Thornberry fanbase.

Edited by Random User

certainly isn't the very best, end-all beat-all cartoon

This. This is what anti-bronies don't get.

We're not saying it is the very best cartoon in the entire history of cartoons. Just that, compared to other shows that air nowadays, it's actually good.

because the fanbase seemed very inviting and accepting, y'know since their "sacred pillars" are love and tolerance.

Likewise. When we join the fandom, we do it more for the community than for the meme.

I, for one, first saw myself as just someone who liked the show. Then I looked around, and holy frick, I saw my favorite artists make MLP art.

I realized, the people who join in are also open-minded, tolerant of different opinions but also assertive about moral values. I saw anti-bronies, on the other hand, tend to also be uncaring, even heartless, shallow minds. Let me know if you find any examples of the opposite.

Anyway, that's what decided me to enter the fandom more "officially". Not its popularity (or I would've joined the moment it became a meme), but the people who made up the community (starting with this forum's memberbase).

• Brohoof 1

Okay, I'm going to tell you how i got into the show. After being buried neck deep in MLP:FiM memes my friend got into it. ironically i discovered this fact on April 1 and even though i suspected it was an april fools joke i didn't wanna judge without trying it first. I watched my first episode with absolutely zero pre-disposition and i fell in love with it. Just because you don't enjoy it so much doesn't mean you should come on here and try to insult us. We are a herd but not because we got herded in, it's because we all share this love for the show.

I disagree, Mlp may not be THE best cartoon ever produced but it is indeed the best of its time. Like Dark Quiviant said most cartoons nowadays are relatively bland. This is the first cartoon in a long time that could actually compete with the cartoons of the 90's. For me this show kind of takes me back to those times when cartoons weren't so plain and I think the same can be said for other bronies. And as for why there wasn't such a huge following for the cartoons back then; I think we just didn't realize what we had until it was gone.