Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

any otherkins here

djpn3

I'm not an otherkin and would not identify as one, but I'm curious about it. What do you identify as and why do you feel that way? :)

• Brohoof 4

Not an otherkin myself, but I've always found that sort of fascinating. 

Questions for you:

For the sake of this question, lets assume for a second that you identify as a dragon. As an otherkin, do you believe that you are literally a dragon trapped in a human body or do you consider it some aspect of your brain that makes you think that way? Or, maybe its something else entirely. 

How does it influence the way that you act? Do you try to do things associated with your "species"? If you do, how much and to what degree?

Much of what I know is second hand information.

(edited)

Otherkin, in my humble opinion, seems to be silly at times. I don't care that you identify as a certain animal or mythical creature, I'm going to treat you like a human, and if you feel that I'm being insensitive, then I'm sorry, but I have other things to care about than whether or not you feel like a creature.

NOTE: What I meant by this, is that it shouldn't be expected of me to always remember what someone wants to be called.

Edited by Skeleton Kin
  • Brohoof 5

I've toyed with the idea, but I'm not too sure on the whole subject. I've always been meaning to learn more about it. What do you identify as, if you're comfortable with sharing?

@@Skeleton Kin

This sort of thought isn't applied towards trans folk as well, is it? Gawd forbid you spare someone's feelings for a second, otherkin or not.

@@Skeleton Kin

This sort of thought isn't applied towards trans folk as well, is it? Gawd forbid you spare someone's feelings for a second, otherkin or not.

I do consider feelings, but don't expect me to 100 percent remember what you want to be called.

I do consider feelings, but don't expect me to 100 percent remember what you want to be called.

That is completely different than what you said before...

Otherkin, in my humble opinion, seems to be silly at times. I don't care that you identify as a certain animal or mythical creature, I'm going to treat you like a human, and if you feel that I'm being insensitive, then I'm sorry, but I have other things to care about than whether or not you feel like a creature.

...you know, nice turn around. 

Thank you for saying what you actually meant. <3

• Brohoof 1

I am looemrkin as for why its because I  feel I  am one   to answer your  questions  as it pertains to view  I  say yes im a loomer trapped in a human boy( minus the exceptional hearing  that's something my human body has cursed me with .) as for actions mostly it makes me like this disorganized and messy as  loomers live in dumps and eat garbage( I do not eat garbage however I do tend to keep things a mess  and don't like cleaning up  in the least.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

To open up, I don't want to offend you OP, but I don't believe in otherkin. You're gay? Cool with me, doesn't change anything. You're trans? A little weird, but alright, it's still believable. 

But listen here and listen well. If you try to tell me that you're a dragon, a dog, a wolf, a character in a book, or a celebrity, I just can't bring myself to believe it at all. There is no basis to it. If you're gay or trans, there is scientific proof that it exists, and even if you disagree you can't deny that LGBT's have been around for centuries whether they'd been acknowledged or not, there's solid proof. Otherkin? It just kinda popped up one day. No historical context.

If you're otherkin, fine, but don't expect me to acknowledge it. I'll treat you the same as anyone else. I don't wish to offend as I said, but I just want to get that out of the way first.

So now that that's done with, I'd like to know when exactly did you find yourself to be otherkin and why. Despite the fact I don't believe I have a pretty open mind about things, so i'm honestly curious. Judging from the fact that it seems to be a spiritual thing that's inside of your soul, you can't just wake up one day and decide to be otherkin. So i'd just like to know how you figured out you were a reincarnation of a loomer, whatever that is. Actually could you explain to me what a loomer is too because google isn't bringing anything up.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 10

I cant say when as I don't remember As for why, its simple I share many of the traits and I  looked at myself in the mirror one morning and didn't see me wlel I saw me but it wasn't me if that makes anysense, I nother words I saw  loomer me not human me,

Otherkin? It just kinda popped up one day. No historical context.

There's not really any proof of that. It could have existed prior to the internet and that was merely how it spread around. Note that many cultures in the past have had heavy associations with animals (fake or real), and even identified with them. I'm sure some people could have felt similarly. It's just that it probably wasn't well-documented and was also probably expressed in more tribal societies and their rituals. Mythical animals are a huge part of our culture and they always have been. It makes sense that at some point, someone would have felt that way. 

However, I also think that comparing it to homosexuals and transsexuals isn't quite right either. I think it should just be considered its own thing. That's really all I'm going to say on that, because I can't quite articulate my feelings properly on what I think it should be considered. I think that is for each individual to decide.

To the topic: I am not an otherkin. I thought I was a therian at one point, but I figured out after a while that I don't fit that label. I just find humans and their bodies (especially when naked) to be kind of repulsive (including my own body) and would prefer to be something else. But I really have no true feeling on what I should be that isn't based on anything more than convenience and looking aesthetically pleasing. I feel fine in my body - I just dislike looking at it, basically. Just as I dislike looking at the majority of humans. 

Still, due to being odd myself, I try to be tolerant of people if their feelings are truly genuine and what they tell me isn't... well, ridiculously out there. Nobody can have a truly open mind - even I have my limits to what weirdness I can stomach. Also, I don't tolerate so much if they just seem like they're jumping onto otherkin to seem unique and special. I can't stand that sort of thing in anything. Although I think that the name of it really doesn't help with taking it seriously, to be honest.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a little confused
I understood otherkin as more of a spiritual identity than like a mogi identity (lgbtqa+)

Like you spiritually feel/be like a dragon, but you can also be any gender/orientation along with it

I'm a little confused

I understood otherkin as more of a spiritual identity than like a mogi identity (lgbtqa+)

Like you spiritually feel/be like a dragon, but you can also be any gender/orientation along with it

That's what it is. Otherkin has absolutely nothing to do with gender and sexuality, they're all completely separate identities.  :fluttershy:  

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

That's what it is. Otherkin has absolutely nothing to do with gender and sexuality, they're all completely separate identities.  :fluttershy:  

oh oh oh

probably would definitely be a spiderkin <3

I have always connected with them in and spiritual way

and understanding way

mostly for the "we are both denied by society" (for me being mogi mostly)

pluss still find it cute how spiders visit me when sitting outside

EDIT: hope i'm not making this sound like a joke

really have strongly felt spiders are my spirit animal for a while

Edited by SpiderDiscord
  • Brohoof 1

*clears throat* Me? Duckkin? And possibly Beaverkin? What? Who said that? Not me! Hehe..

Yeah I'm duckkin, more specifically a mallard. I've had astral limbs which are webbed feet, and I believed at a point I felt like I had a duck bill/beak? Honestly even if I never experienced these, I definitely identify as a duck. Have no clue why, but whenever I see ducks I.. feel like I'm home? I believe this is more out of psychological reasons, but all well.

Also I definitely may be something else as well but I just can't place it. Well, that's something for me to be in concern of. Meh.

To get started, let me explain a few things I'd like to clear up because I noticed confusion among the otherkin community as well as the mogai alike.

Otherkinity is not a form/expression of gender, your gender cannot be a cat

Some people use being otherkin as a coping mechanism or for spiritual/religious beliefs. To go more in depth, a coping mechanism is a way how a person, well, copes with something. Where as spirituality comes in, it can come in forms of having dreams of being such creature, having astral/phantom limbs (sometimes you feel like you have physical characteristics of such, I knew people who had it so bad they were dysphoric,) or in general sometimes people identify with a creature simply just because. Regardless of reason, everyone is valid.

If I'm not mistaken, the term otherkin was coined by Tumblr, but the idea of otherkinity as a whole derived from a community of elves in the mid-late 90s. [link is PDF.] I apologize, I read about this but I'm not 100% educated. I would try to read all of it, but I have poor reading comprehension. Thanks alot, ADHD.

People who identify as otherkin do not believe they're an oppressed community. We know we're not oppressed, we know! If you see anyone saying such, there's 200212% chance they're a troll.

No, we don't identify as tampons and we're not triggered by oxygen. This was a harmful stereotype making fun of those (more in particular mentally ill teens,) who have severe triggers, or triggers that seem odd but actually connects to something bigger.

Being otherkin doesn't automatically make you "delusional", it has been proven by psychologists themselves that otherkinity is indeed healthy and a common form of a coping mechanism. (Another link: Mental Illness vs. Otherkin) But yeah, go ahead and keep degrading a community made up of mentally ill people in the first place, why don't-cha? (THERE ARE CITED RESOURCES ON THE POSTS, SO THESE LINKS ARE VALID)

Though people may identify as a creature, it doesn't mean we all believe we're "X trapped in a human body". (By the way, stop saying for for us trans people as well? I'm trapped in no one's body, I'm in my own physique, just with a different gender identity other than the one assigned to me at birth.) Most otherkin are aware they're humans, but regardless they still identify as something non-human.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm always available! :D

• Brohoof 8

Finally someone says something that makes sense here... no offense to the  other people on here that has posted  but question is it wrong to say your x trapped in a human body because I   am and I do it all the time because I truly do feel trapped. as for astral limbs ive had many encounters  with this once while combing my hair I pulled my ears and was left with a headache for awhile and another it me I was   moving things dropped a box and hit my toe/foot(not real one  or rather not human on) my entire leg was hurting for a  bit. and as for sharing characteristics I share most if not all characteristics with  my species I m short   have poor eyesight  and proffer dirt and mess to cleaning up the only thing I don't have in common with my species is that my species has exceptional hearing  However due to my being trapped as a human, I have very poor hearing as I am deaf in my left ear.

.....a what?

okay, after googling around, i.. still dont get it. Otherkin is someone who identifies as an animal?

That´s some kind of insider joke, right? i mean, i ain´t trying to be offensive here, but how does that work?

I must clarify something. Loomer is the general term for the species the  officaila is icurai I choose loomer. There small look a it like rabbit and usually are maroon colored 

Whoooa Nelly, I think some folks here need to learn how to use their gun not just before they shoot it, but before they take it out of their darn holster!

Folks, eeease up!

This is meant to be a friendly community with an open atmosphere.  Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it's okay to straight up bully someone else for believing in it!

*sigh* Lord, have mercy...  :o 

---

No, I'm not an otherkin.  However there is one thing I would like to add here that I feel is similar.

As a Contemporary Christian, I believe our spirits/consciences are our souls, and that we all have souls.  I believe that when we die, it is our souls that ascend to Heaven, as consciousness luminescent-like entities.

A question that directly relates to this topic at hand that many Christians are asked, or even ask themselves, is what they feel about other animals and if they have souls.

If I may make reference to an old movie here to tell you how I personally feel:

key_art_all_dogs_go_to_heaven.jpg

As such, I do believe animals have souls, and therefore, I can say that I believe it is possible for God to have enabled any number of souls to be interanimalia (which is inter+animal, and that means a soul with a conscience that might feel to have multiple animal feelings/traits/etc.)...

Now, with all due respect, I feel the word itself "otherkin" is misguided.  I can fathom its meaning; but the literary term seems too outwardly biased.  It ought to be "multikin," "interkin," or "polykin," if you want to use [prefix/word]+"kin."  You are at least part human, and while yes I do totally respect that you may also feel to be something else, "otherkin" seems to literally imply that you aren't human at all; which, you are - you just feel to also be some other animal simultaneously in some way shape or form.  

That's my two cents.   :) 

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1