Opinion on Fan Characters?

Ragingdubstep

(edited)

I have no problem with the concept of fan characters, but I don't see how I can have one opinion encompassing every fan character ever created.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I only make non-canon characters as a part of a story I think up. I don't do that one OC thing. I do find some of other's OCs cute.

Edited by cider float

Technically even the Ponys in the Show are Ocs. I mean they are characters created by people for their Storys, like Ocs. The only difference is, the ocs we are talking about are fanmade. But they still are all just Original Characters...im pretty sure.

So i dont really understand how some people hate ocs. Isnt everything an Original Character created by someone?  :lol:

Except Ocs mean characters that represent the person who created it. Thats something different, but still,i like ocs. Its always interesting to see new characters. ^_^

I just have to ask, what do you all think of ALL the OC's? I love mine! I love others OC's too, but what's your opinion? Who's yours? (if you have any, that is  :lol: ) Thanks!

~Raging

I'll assume you mean the concect of OC, I like the fact that each person can make their own OC that fits in the universe of MLP. I came across many good OC with great stories. 

I'm a fan of fancharacters. I have a few of them myself from many different fandoms. But that's not to say that I'm so crazy about them. The problem with most of them is that most of them don't feel like that they belong in their respective series. You see many black/red pony FCs that are apparently the offspring of a canon pony, or alicorn FCs that became one naturally. Stuff like this obviously doesn't happen within MLP:FiM, and as such it unfortunately only puts FCs more in a negative light. The way how some people call them OCs is no better. They're not original as they were based on an existing franchise. There's a reason why the "OC do not steal" meme exists.

But overall, if a FC is well-made, I would most certainly be impressed. I try to make mine as believable as possible.

I really only pay any attention to them if they're well-written. I like that everyone is involving themselves in the show with OCs and such, but dislike how many people view it as a competition to be better than or more special than everypony else.

• 1 month later...

I love fan characters. They show creativity and often it is a sign of someone embracing what they enjoy. I know that creating your own character or ponysona is an exciting thing for quite a few bronies, especially when they just join the fandom and I love that. Embracing something that makes you happy is a positive thing.

I am one of those that is perfectly fine with whatever anyone creates.

As for myself, I have my Ponysona, which is Kyoshi, who is me. :3

I don't really care about OCs in general - that side of the fandom doesn't interest me because I prefer talking about the canon characters. Probably because I'm horrible at creating OCs myself :lol: Same with the popular fan characters like Fluffle Puff, Button Mash etc - I don't hate them or anything, but I find them a little...overexposed. 

I do, however, really hate the trend for being super critical of others' OCs - it's supposed to be fun, who cares if someone wants to make a red and black alicorn OC or whatever? It's not canon, it doesn't affect you, let them have fun with their own character. As far as I'm concerned, all OCs are "good" OCs as long as their creator enjoys drawing/writing them. :kindness: (Unless someone asks for feedback/criticism of their OC, obviously then that's fine - I'm talking about people who are just unnecessarily mean about random people's OCs for no reason)