Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Very Awkward Moment Between Popular Brony And Fan

GXPBlast

It's totally unacceptable to kiss someone like that. I bet that guy is incredibly embarrased now :P

I would hug anyone even if I didn't know them, as long as they aren't overly obese with sweaty armpits and...you know the deal ;)

You probably shouldn't, though. It makes pretty much anyone really uncomfortable.

the kiss goes too far, i get it, excitement and all, but no kisses, don't.

a handshake is good, and a hug depends, if they're comfortable with it, do it, but do ask to be sure.

asking is the keyword in meeting your favorite people!  :proud: 

• Brohoof 1

I'm a very touchy person. I hate it because most people aren't. The vast majority of people hate something I love: hugs. You have no idea how much I wish I could be an introvert who hates being touched. II'm too Pinkie like for my own good.

• Brohoof 2

A handshake sounds like the most reasonable thing to do when you meet someone. As for hugging, I don't think it's considered too weird around here, at least from what I've seen. :confused: Though, if I met someone for the first time and they hugged me, the first thought that'd come to mind would be "Why is this person hugging me?".

But kissing? I don't think people should kiss others when they meet them. That just seems a little too personal, unless it's to a relative/family member you just first met. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A handshake sounds like the most reasonable thing to do when you meet someone. As for hugging, I don't think it's considered too weird around here, at least from what I've seen. :confused: Though, if I met someone for the first time and they hugged me, the first thought that'd come to mind would be "Why is this person hugging me?".

But kissing? I don't think people should kiss others when they meet them. That just seems a little too personal, unless it's to a relative/family member you just first met. :P

The guy who kissed her is officially disliked by nowacking now. He can never watch vinyl again knowing that the voice behind the DJ Pony will always think he is a creeper.  :scoots: :(

Edited by GXPBlast

Oh god.. touching somebody without their consent is NOT okay. At all.
I can understand being excited and wanting to tackle your fave youtuber or what not, but you need to stop and think about it. 
Like, honestly I can understand the freaking out, because i'd do the same. But kissing somebody is absolutely NOT okay. I feel really sorry for that poor person.
If you meet somebody famous/well know, please, please please please always ask them for permission before touching them/taking photos with them, etc. 

If I was famous and some random fan came up to me and kissed my cheek, I'd flip my shiz, seriously. That is so far from okay.
I just feel so bad for famous people sometimes.

In many cultures it's perfectly acceptable, even preferable, to hug and kiss the cheek. While it is always best to study up on the customs of the place you're visiting, I'm sure there are instances where one might forget this.

Still, most Americans are unfortunately ignorant of the customs of other cultures. Please, before you start blaming people and calling them creepers, consider the fact they might not be natives. We already have enough trouble trying not to look like a self-absorbed culture, don't make it harder.

I would put aside the nationalism for a moment as the US (where this event occurred) is not the only low context culture. Haptic engagement in cultures should also be secondary to psychological concerns as they have fewer geographic borders. Though playing Devils Advocate, I admit there are some connections one can make with culture and non cultural boundries as environment and diet do have an impact.

Contextually it was a still 'creepy' thing to do, especially since one account already dispelled the grace one finds in Euro and Asian haptic greetings by suggesting that the contact was not particularly gentle.

they are not your plushies you can't just do what you want with them.

Best line said on MLPForums 2k15. XD Also, I thought everyone in the fandom knew of Nowacking?? :P

In all seriousness, though, spontaneous hugs are nice, but confusing from someone you don't know. I wouldn't want some random person to come up and hug me right off the bat, especially because they might have a cold or something and I get sick kinda easily. XD If I was ever in this position I'd rather them introduce themselves, we talk for a while and I give them a chance to say how much they like my stuff or whatever, and then probably a quick hug at the end. :P If they're not sick.

• Brohoof 1

I would put aside the nationalism for a moment as the US (where this event occurred) is not the only low context culture.

Yes, but due to its influence on global culture and its self-absorption the US is considered to be the most grievous offender.

Haptic engagement in cultures should also be secondary to psychological concerns as they have fewer geographic borders.

Brazil and several other Latin American countries are extremely tactile countries. Now, while tourists should be expected to understand the norms of the culture they're going into, accidents can happen. Under this logic, a Latin American making a faux pas in the US is still creepy and to be shamed, regardless of the fact that their culture considers that socially acceptable.

Contextually it was a still 'creepy' thing to do, especially since one account already dispelled the grace one finds in Euro and Asian haptic greetings by suggesting that the contact was not particularly gentle.

While I can agree that in this case it was an awkward moment, the general consensus appears to be that it's unacceptable period, regardless of circumstance. It's a culturally ignorant opinion, as it suggests that touching is a universally taboo thing, when it isn't.

Going on an entirely different tangent here, I feel like a lot of people are overreacting to this. Yes, it was a faux pas, but if you stood back for a second and realized it was probably an accident, you wouldn't be so quick to shame him. For example,

Still, yeah there is no reason she can't slap a bitch.

I mean, really? >_>

Yes, but due to its influence on global culture and its self-absorption the US is considered to be the most grievous offender.

Brazil and several other Latin American countries are extremely tactile countries. Now, while tourists should be expected to understand the norms of the culture they're going into, accidents can happen. Under this logic, a Latin American making a faux pas in the US is still creepy and to be shamed, regardless of the fact that their culture considers that socially acceptable.

While I can agree that in this case it was an awkward moment, the general consensus appears to be that it's unacceptable period, regardless of circumstance. It's a culturally ignorant opinion, as it suggests that touching is a universally taboo thing, when it isn't.

Going on an entirely different tangent here, I feel like a lot of people are overreacting to this. Yes, it was a faux pas, but if you stood back for a second and realized it was probably an accident, you wouldn't be so quick to shame him. For example,

I mean, really? >_>

If this took place in another country (other than Germany since my experience being there is that they are also a low context culture) I would be agree that this would be much ado about nothing. To be fair I'm rather indifferent to it and see both sides, but I am defending those that consider this inappropriate due to the presented facts. I had to dismiss the speculative information you mentioned as partly irrelevant or at least only a minor tangential arguement. I could easily agree that if she tweeted this from a Spanish Ponycon I would roll my eyes at her (though the supposed force is still a valid issue).

Omissions of a an international flavor, and even hyperbole are not always indicators of a truth of every variety.

I don't see how the different cultures thing even plays into this. The OP said this guy was American, which isn't really a stretch. Is it really that hard to accept the guy was just being a creep? Or that you're going to see more than a few people with horrid social skills at a huge brony convention?

• Brohoof 1

If this took place in another country (other than Germany since my experience being there is that they are also a low context culture) I would be agree that this would be much ado about nothing. To be fair I'm rather indifferent to it and see both sides, but I am defending those that consider this inappropriate due to the presented facts. I had to dismiss the speculative information you mentioned as partly irrelevant or at least only a minor tangential arguement. I could easily agree that if she tweeted this from a Spanish Ponycon I would roll my eyes at her (though the supposed force is still a valid issue).

Omissions of a an international flavor, and even hyperbole are not always indicators of a truth of every variety.

I'll concede that my argument over differing cultures is preemptive in nature due to the likelihood of the person in question being a native. I would challenge where you see an omission on my side, however.

Is it really that hard to accept the guy was just being a creep? Or that you're going to see more than a few people with horrid social skills at a huge brony convention?

What is being referred to here as being 'a creep'? There are several definitions, though the most relevant are:

1) a boring, disturbingly eccentric, painfully introverted, or obnoxious person; and

2) a person who makes persistent sexual advances toward someone, or who cheats on a sexual partner.

While I can see how he might exhibit some of these traits, there is also the negative connotation. As the OP states:

...until a brony that seemed abit to excited and nervous...

Is it really acceptable to shame someone for making a faux pas due to their nerves? Many members I've noticed treat Nowack as a victim, as if his awkwardness was a sexual advance. It's fairly obvious it wasn't, so why punish him for a mistake?

So to answer your question directly zombienixon, I am not in the business of encouraging overreactions.

Edited by Durandal

I'll concede that my argument over differing cultures is preemptive in nature due to the likelihood of the person in question being a native.

People are saying this but nobody can say how they know it other than the OP saying so.

I mean, really?

Really, mate. It's always acceptable to slap a bitch who is doing some shit like that. 

I met Nowacking and ElieMonty at BronyCon when they weren't busy. I asked for pics w/ both of them, and they said yes. After I was done, I went to another panel. This depends on where the fan was from. Since in other countries, a kiss on each check is to their culture what a handshake is to US culture. But if this person was from a country that has the same standards as the US or knows about the standards, then I'd say he went over boundaries he shouldn't have gone over.

People are saying this but nobody can say how they know it other than the OP saying so.

There is no foolproof way to judge without the person in question telling us, and since no one is interested enough to find this person, we make do with what information we have.

Really, mate. It's always acceptable to slap a bitch who is doing some shit like that. 

The law believes otherwise.

...pushing someone or slapping someone in an argument are instances of simple assault.

Edited by Durandal

In many cultures it's perfectly acceptable, even preferable, to hug and kiss the cheek. While it is always best to study up on the customs of the place you're visiting, I'm sure there are instances where one might forget this.

Still, most Americans are unfortunately ignorant of the customs of other cultures. Please, before you start blaming people and calling them creepers, consider the fact they might not be natives. We already have enough trouble trying not to look like a self-absorbed culture, don't make it harder.

Now that works both ways, that particular person could have just as easily researched american customs as well.

There is no foolproof way to judge without the person in question telling us, and since no one is interested enough to find this person, we make do with what information we have.

The law believes otherwise.

It's not an argument though. When someone has engaged in physical contact with you, i.e. attempting to kiss you when you do not want it, it can be considered assault. Not to mention a law is not this technical loophole of "AHA, GOTCHA" because it would require a judge to prosecute. If you attempted to kiss me and I slapped you for it, no judge is going to prosecute me unless you found like the worst judge in existence.

I love when people seem to think that because something is "technically" a law that means that it's some kind of end all, be all and completely forget that the judicial system is there to judge whether or not a law was ACTUALLY violated. We do things on a case by case basis, not just a blanket statement of "well the law TECHNICALLY says this", loopholing is not as simple as that. Also we are talking about a moral situation. You don't kiss someone who doesn't want it, and I don't think you'll find many people will feel sorry for you when you get slapped for trying. If you did, I don't want to be a part of this fandom anymore. It's blatant victim blaming to try and say that Nowacking would somehow get in trouble for stopping an unwanted sexual advance.

In the scenario described, attempting to kiss someone who does not want it is an unwanted sexual advance. Find me a judge who will feel sorry for the "victim" who got slapped.

Your body is yours and no one else's and if someone tries to kiss you and you do not want it, you can push them off of you. There is no law against that, as they have ALREADY put their body onto yours. The MOMENT you touch someone else, you can't claim assault anymore because you initiated contact unless that person like... Beat you within an inch of your life.

I honestly can not even believe we are having a conversation of whether or not it's legal or right to STOP SOMEONE FROM GIVING YOU UNWANTED SEXUAL CONTACT. Look you kiss someone who doesn't want it, you're a creep, and a sexual assailant. Period.

Your understanding of the law seems to not factor in the fact that you need a judge to prosecute.

Edited by Guest