Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Very Awkward Moment Between Popular Brony And Fan

GXPBlast

When I was at bronycon I met a bunch of VA's and Well known bronies from Youtube.

I know some bronies can be very excited and touchy in some cases when they meet some of these people which is understandable.

However, loving and tolerating is great but sometimes fellow bronies dont know boundaries.

I bring this up because there was an incident I noticed that a brony did to a well known fan Youtuber in the community.

After a panel Nowaking was taking pictures and signing autographs. Everything was going well until a brony that seemed abit to excited and nervous at the same time came up to Nowacking gave her a hug and kissed her on the cheek, after he got her autograph.

Of course she did not flip out or get angry at him, but clearly it creeped her out. I am sure she has gotten used to some of this but even so it can get uncomfortable. She even went on Twitter to complain about some of her fans doing similar things.

Keep in mind my situation I witnessed was different but a recently I assume something similar happened that had her vent about it online.

I am sure she is not the only one to have to deal with this.

What do you guys think? Feel free to share you personal experiences, or comment on this story in particular.

sig-4163508.sig-4163508.sig-4163508.Capt

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 3

A hug would personally be too intimate for me since I'm not very social. Erm, it'd cause my body to be ready when I don't want to to be, and thats very awkward and people don't like that. Like, they are not your plushies you can't just do what you want with them.

• Brohoof 3

Definitely not appropriate to kiss someone just because you are their fan.  As for hugs, I think it really depends on the mood and atmosphere.  In this case were someone is a "celeb" and the other person is a fan, the fan should really respect boundaries. 

If this were more just a group of fans and everyone was hugging and having a good time in the spirit of friendship, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  The US is a bit of a touch-phobic culture, especially between two guys.  Many people feel starved for any sense of bonding with others.  It's a complex issue, but people always need to take the other person's feelings into account.

Yeah, I tense up when even a family member tries to hug me.  I can only imagine how uncomfortable the VAs are when some random fan does this sort of thing.  It's probably meant as harmless affection in keeping with the values of the show but the VAs aren't ponies.  You can't just go around putting your hands on them for any reason unless they are cool with it.

I had this experience like months ago, it was at a brony meet up in a parisian bar. I was sketching outside with my friends and chatting, doing some drawings in exchange of some euros. I started to have a crowd and we chatted together, sharing some drawing tips with others artists... And then a young girl appeared and, as she saw me drawing, she asked me my "name". I then told her and she screamed and ran inside searching for her friends that was a fan. It was fun at first but then embarassing, she couldn't stop screaming and fangirling. People tend to forgot that we're still humans and they don't have to be afraid to talk to me or treat me like a god. I'm just here drawing..ponies ?

...But thanks to her, more people asked me commissions so I could buy myself a drink :P

Hugging for some is more personal for some people especially when it's used either as a sign of affection or to show how close some people are, whereas handshakes are pretty much the expected greetings. I can definitely understand if people feel uncomfortable if they get hugged by a random stranger.

Edited by Megas75

A kiss? Ummm no. That is crossing the line. I don't know who Jessi Nowack is or why she is famous, but my message to her: it is NOT impolite to tell someone to not fucking touch you. If someone tries to kiss you on the cheek and you do not want it, you slap them.

A kiss? Ummm no. That is crossing the line. I don't know who Jessi Nowack is or why she is famous, but my message to her: it is NOT impolite to tell someone to not fucking touch you. If someone tries to kiss you on the cheek and you do not want it, you slap them.

She voices vinyl scratch on YouTube.

She voices vinyl scratch on YouTube.

Ah a fan voice actor I'm assuming then?

Still, yeah there is no reason she can't slap a bitch.

That I cannot help but read each of those tweets in her Vinyl voice feels quite amusing to me.

But hey, people need to respect space. Not sure if the person initiating it was just extraordinarily friendly or a bit...well, boundaries, people. Boundaries.

Edited by Wubtavia

I do handshakes, which are (generally speaking) socially acceptable.

Hugs could be too personal for some, so I do not usually give people hugs unless

- They agreed after I asked to give them one

- They clearly need one, even in that case I will ask them if a hug would be okay

- They offered one themselves

Kisses?

2013061809443585015.jpg

Edited by Solid Scorpion

Ah a fan voice actor I'm assuming then?

Still, yeah there is no reason she can't slap a bitch.

Yeah she is the voice of vinyl scratch. Lots of people were hoping she would snag a deal with Hasbro to voice vinyl in the 100 episode, but I guess not since she remained voiceless.

Well by the look on her face in the particular incident I witnessed at bronycon, she looked like she saw a horror movie for few seconds as this guys hug and sudden kiss was very quick and rough which was probably caused by his nerves. The guy also looked like spaghetti. I cringed at the moment I saw it.

However, loving and tolerating is great but sometimes fellow bronies dont know boundaries.

In many cultures it's perfectly acceptable, even preferable, to hug and kiss the cheek. While it is always best to study up on the customs of the place you're visiting, I'm sure there are instances where one might forget this.

Still, most Americans are unfortunately ignorant of the customs of other cultures. Please, before you start blaming people and calling them creepers, consider the fact they might not be natives. We already have enough trouble trying not to look like a self-absorbed culture, don't make it harder.

• Brohoof 3

In many cultures it's perfectly acceptable, even preferable, to hug and kiss the cheek. While it is always best to study up on the customs of the place you're visiting, I'm sure there are instances where one might forget this.

Still, most Americans are unfortunately ignorant of the customs of other cultures. Please, before you start blaming people and calling them creepers, consider the fact they might not be natives. We already have enough trouble trying not to look like a self-absorbed culture, don't make it harder.

You stole my words  :lol:

Personally I'd be more like "lol, wtf"  :dash:

rather than "omg, wtf"  >_>

If that makes sense. I don't mind, it's just different.

• Brohoof 1

I think that might take the cake for awkward interactions. People should definitely ask before trying stuff like that. Also, this woman should calm down and maybe get over it. It's like she's posturing to sue him or something.

(edited)

Understandable. But this guy was totally an American lol. He as just full of spaghetti

Edited by GXPBlast

I call bullshit on that last tweet though. Most women I know seem to get angry or confused when a dude they meet doesn't hug them but "gives them handshakes". What is this, a corporate office?

Though I understand where she's coming from in the end. Only sexy people are allowed to hug and kiss me.

Rabid fans will always creep me out. While I certainly admire the VAs and would be grinning from ear to ear if I got a chance to, I'm not the kind of person who collects autographs and I see no real reason to introduce myself unless I met them informally and it had nothing to do with the con.

As for the tweets...I don't even know who she is, but I do agree with what she's saying. Don't just go hugging people you've never met upon introduction because that's just rude, and no, that doesn't make the unwilling recipient a snob or anything. Use your common sense.

Yeah, except it's much more likely (as well as confirmed by the OP) that they are native, and just have horrible social skills. But why pass up an opportunity to act sanctimonious?

And I'm willing to bet that if an American committed a social faux pas abroad, you'd say it would be their fault as well for not being culturally aware.

But why pass up an opportunity to act sanctimonious?

giphy.gif

And I'm willing to bet that if an American committed a social faux pas abroad, you'd say it would be their fault as well for not being culturally aware.

While it is always best to study up on the customs of the place you're visiting, I'm sure there are instances where one might forget this.

My expectations for people are exactly the same regardless of where they come from.

I would hug anyone even if I didn't know them, as long as they aren't overly obese with sweaty armpits and...you know the deal ;)

Errr... thanks for sharing?