Which characters Have the best Focus episodes typically?

M'gann M'orzz

16 users have voted

1. 1. Among the Mane 7

• Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle
    • Fluttershy
    • Applejack
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Spike
  2. 2. Among the CMC

• Apple Bloom
    • Sweetie Belle
    • Scootaloo

Well I think the topic title is self explanatory, anyway which character would you say tends to make for the strongest protagonist in episodes.

For me it's Rarity, which I think should be obvious if you've read just about anything iv ever posted. Twilight and Pinkie are basically tied for second with maybe a slight edge for Twilight. 

Anyway I don't think Rarity has ever had a truly bad episode, even her weaker ones like Simple Ways still have plenty of redeeming qualities, so she wins pretty easily for me aside from her just being my favorite pony.

As for the CMC, I have to go with Sweetie, Scootaloos are great too and indeed both Sisterhooves Social and Sleepless in Ponyville would easily make my top 10 but I like Sweetie Belle Toils just a bit more than Flight to the Finish.

Applebloom sadly lags far behind her, with only Bloom and Gloom standing out for me.

Mmm....actually that is a tough one. I agree Rarity has never truly had a bad episode...I consider "rarity takes Manhattan" and "canterlot boutique" her weaker episodes but even then they are good.

Then again, I always pay closer attention to the Fluttershy episodes since she's the most interesting and complex character out of the mane 6 given her disorders and annoying small accomplishment but they are still applause worthy IMO.

Applejack's aren't bad either, but they have been rather boring being she is such a solid character already.

Um...Twilight's focus episodes seems more like the special episodes where there's villains involved. It wouldnt be fair to choose her being the big stuff happens when it's about her. The only episode she carried on her own and actually did terrific in was "Lesson Zero"

Rainbow's episodes are okay. Tank for the memories is a winner for me.

Um....ugh I'm going to go with Pinkie Pie on this one though. While she is overthetop and annoying at times when she's a supporting character for others....but whenever the focus PINKIE, they are beyond great. We always get a surprise from her and her episodes are super good.

So yeah...Pinkie Pie. Then Rarity comes at a close second with Fluttershy episides being my third

As for the CMC I honestly can't choose. Whenever they have an episode together and switch leadership roles, they remain equally great. And whenever they are the focus individually, they are still equally brilliant and in a way.....they are too similar. Like how Luna visited each of them in their dreams and how each had a "sister" episode including Scoots and Rainbowdash

Edited by Princess Sunset

(edited)

Mmm....actually that is a tough one. I agree Rarity has never truly had a bad episode...I consider "rarity takes Manhattan" and "canterlot boutique" her weaker episodes but even then they are good.

Then again, I always pay closer attention to the Fluttershy episodes since she's the most interesting and complex character out of the mane 6 given her disorders and annoying small accomplishment but they are still applause worthy IMO.

Applejack's aren't bad either, but they have been rather boring being she is such a solid character already.

Um...Twilight's focus episodes seems more like the special episodes where there's villains involved. It wouldnt be fair to choose her being the big stuff happens when it's about her. The only episode she carried on her own and actually did terrific in was "Lesson Zero"

Rainbow's episodes are okay. Tank for the memories is a winner for me.

Um....ugh I'm going to go with Pinkie Pie on this one though. While she is overthetop and annoying at times when she's a supporting character for others....but whenever the focus PINKIE, they are beyond great. We always get a surprise from her and her episodes are super good.

So yeah...Pinkie Pie. Then Rarity comes at a close second with Fluttershy episides being my third

Well I completely disagree with you on Fluttershy as a character, I think she's endlessly spinning in circles I agree her episodes other than Breezies are at worst decent.

Since I failed to mention it earlier Rainbow and Applejack tie for the bottom, Applejack other than Somepony to Watch Over me also never had truly bad ones she also has very very few great ones. It's pretty much always average with her. But I love her lots anyway cause she easily wins best character in supporting roles for me.

Rainbow is just the most inconsistent, some of her episodes like Testing Testing, Wonderbolts Academy or Griffionstone are great but if I look at my bottom 10 it's full of her OTHER episodes like Mare-Do-Well, Rainbow Falls, Daring Don't, with May the Best Pet Win coming pretty low too. So she's really inconsistent, frankly im amazed she was as popular as she was in the early days of the fandom since she was actually at her weakest then and yet she's lost fans as she's gotten more consistent usually.

I don't really agree on Pinkie, while her best episodes are among the best in the show, with stuff like Pinkie Pride and Party of One coming to mind. She does have a few I consider pretty weak like baby Cakes, MMMMystery and Party Pooped.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Well I completely disagree with you on Fluttershy as a character, I think she's endlessly spinning in circles I agree her episodes other than Breezies are at worst decent.

Since I failed to mention it earlier Rainbow and Applejack tie for the bottom, Applejack other than Somepony to Watch Over me also never had truly bad ones she also has very very few great ones. It's pretty much always average with her. But I love her lots anyway cause she easily wins best character in supporting roles for me.

Rainbow is just the most inconsistent, some of her episodes like Testing Testing, Wonderbolts Academy or Griffionstone are great but if I look at my bottom 10 it's full of her OTHER episodes like Mare-Do-Well, Rainbow Falls, Daring Don't, with May the Best Pet Win coming pretty low too. So she's really inconsistent, frankly im amazed she was as popular as she was in the early days of the fandom since she was actually at her weakest then and yet she's lost fans as she's gotten more consistent usually.

I don't really agree on Pinkie, while her best episodes are among the best in the show, with stuff like Pinkie Pride and Party of One coming to mind. She does have a few I consider pretty weak like baby Cakes and MMMMystery.

I'm not surprised you feel that way since I used to feel the same. Which was why I created a discussion....well more like rambled....about Fluttershy and her episodes here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/140474-fluttershy-isnt-just-black-and-white-like-a-few-others-opinions/. Fluttershy is the most complex character out of all of them. Her execution is always downplayed with overthetop panic attack and her accomplishments are too small for others to appreciate because they fail to understand her true character. Fluttershy should be the only exception when it comes to repetitive struggles if you ask me

And as you said some of Pinkie Pie's episodes are among the best throughout the show while others are still weak. But one could say the same for Rarity as well....for Twilight....well for basically all of the mane 6 actually so that wouldn't be a real reason IMO.

I do agree with what you said with Rainbowdash. Though I wouldn't focus in the inconsistency since that applies to both Spike and Fluttershy as well....I focus more on how the episodes are executed and their plots. Like "Testing 1 2 3" was silly....I found it hard to believe that the Wonderbolts' biggest fan knew NOTHING of their history. Even jocks know everything about their favorite team. That episode came out of no where. Same for "Trade Ya" where she literally sold her best friend into slavery pretty much....that was ridiculous even if it wasn't intentional. Others like Mysterious Mare-do-well was fine as well as the Rainboom one? And a few others were good. But Tank for the Memories and "May the best pet win" are the only two memorable Rainbowdash episodes for me.

Twilight Sparkle gets some really nice episodes even if some of them do tend to more of the milestone ones, so I vote for her and she is just as capable of carrying her own in normal episodes as Amending Fences, Three's A Crowd, It's About Time, and Lesson Zero attest. Through in Equestria Girls as well as she or her counterpart have been the main focus or co-focus in all three of the them, and that makes for a difficult combination to beat.,

Rainbow Dash probably would come second as she has pretty good episodes including MMDW, Testing Testing 1,2,3, Read it and Weep, Tanks For The Memories, and even Putting Your Hooves Down.

Fluttershy does not get a whole lot of episodes compared to the others but she usually is pretty great when she does get them Hurricane Fluttershy, Filli Vanilli, and Scare Master would attest.

Pinkie Pie's episodes are wildly inconsistent as they hit some of the highest peaks and lowest valleys.

Rarity comes fifth. Her episodes tend to be solid for the most part, but I tend to find they also leave something to be desired more often than not.

Applejack tends to suffer as her episodes lack variety compared to the others. They are not bad episodes any means though.

Scootaloo probably has the best episodes as far as Cutie Mark Crusader episodes go. Don't care much for Sleepless in Ponyville, but Flight to the Finish was just that good. 

Followed by Applebloom, and then Sweetie Belle.

Spike probably gets the worst of it, but I don't find his episodes to be as bad as some people make them out to be.

All in all there is case to be made for every character when it comes to this list for wherever one ranks them as, but this is my humble take on the matter.

Edited by UnknownFry

I'm not surprised you feel that way since I used to feel the same. Which was why I created a discussion....well more like rambled....about Fluttershy and her episodes here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/140474-fluttershy-isnt-just-black-and-white-like-a-few-others-opinions/

And as you said some of Pinkie Pie's episodes are among the best throughout the show while others are still weak. But one could say the same for Rarity as well....for Twilight....well for basically all of the mane 6 actually so that wouldn't be a real reason IMO.

I do agree with what you said with Rainbowdash. Though I wouldn't focus in the inconsistency since that applies to both Spike and Fluttershy as well....I focus more on how the episodes are executed and their plots. Like "Testing 1 2 3" was silly....I found it hard to believe that the Wonderbolts' biggest fan knew NOTHING of their history. Even jocks know everything about their favorite team. That episode came out of no where. Same for "Trade Ya" where she literally sold her best friend into slavery pretty much....that was ridiculous even if it wasn't intentional. Others like Mysterious Mare-do-well was fine as well as the Rainboom one? And a few others were good. But Tank for the Memories and "May the best pet win" are the only two memorable Rainbowdash episodes for me.

as I have said before I don't consider any Rarity episode truly weak, even Simple Ways just barely falls on the right side of the average line.

See with testing testing  yeah I guess that's kinda weird yeah but the story is executed well and it has really fun appearences from everyone (it's actually one of the few S4s where Twilight wasn't just a boring exposition machine) So I really like it, always have fun watching it. and I just don't count Trade ya as a well anyone episode, that was pure group episode.

Mare-Do-Well isn't fine, it's hated for good reason. Everyone comes out looking like a jerk there.

Rarity. Despite her having a large role in two episodes I despise, Rarity episodes are typically episodes I love.

oo im curious as to which ones.

Also just a friendly reminder to everyone, Vote in da poll.

as I have said before I don't consider any Rarity episode truly weak, even Simple Ways just barely falls on the right side of the average line.

See with testing testing yeah I guess that's kinda weird yeah but the story is executed well and it has really fun appearences from everyone (it's actually one of the few S4s where Twilight wasn't just a boring exposition machine) So I really like it, always have fun watching it. and I just don't count Trade ya as a well anyone episode, that was pure group episode.

Mare-Do-Well isn't fine, it's hated for good reason. Everyone comes out looking like a jerk there.

No I completely understand you don't consider any of her episodes are weak. The point I was making was that it can still be said by another that Rarity has weak episodes as you said for Pinkie Pie which wasn't the best reason imo that's all. We all have different perspectives when it comes to a character and their episodes.

Mysterious Mare Do Well being a good example...because I found the episode brilliant. I'm aware of why the episode was hated, but where people see jerks, I see friends who knew Rainbow well enough to actually get through her. Her ego and pride is nearly too big for anyone to talk sense into her...and while their methods were difficult and ridiculous, it was affective and honestly not that bad because there has been worse things done. What they did was called tough love..and it worked out. Rainbow was a boaster...that wasn't anything new. They knew by simply "telling" her wouldn't do anything. It rarely does. It was a lesson that had to be done another way

In fact, I think "Lesson Zero", despite it being a funny episode, was worse when it comes to jerks. They literally laughed at another's problem just because they considered her problem "not important" which was horrible. A friend that's in total panic and clearly needs help was shrugged off and they didn't even attempt to help. Asking for help and being turned down by those you trust the most isn't the best feeling in the world.

But it all depends on how you look at it. Where I find brilliance, others nay find a travesty. And where I see flaws, others see perfection. And vice versa. That's why many times when I express something on a topic, I make sure to stress that they are only my opinions because I want to be considerate on what others may feel and don't want to give off the impression I'm saying something sucks and anyone who thinks different is wrong.

See with testing testing  yeah I guess that's kinda weird yeah but the story is executed well and it has really fun appearences from everyone (it's actually one of the few S4s where Twilight wasn't just a boring exposition machine) So I really like it, always have fun watching it. and I just don't count Trade ya as a well anyone episode, that was pure group episode.

oo im curious as to which ones.

Also just a friendly reminder to everyone, Vote in da poll.

Sonic Rainboom, (I hated it because Rarity was extremely out of character when she was in Cloudsdale)

Putting Your Hoof Down. (I hated it because of the overall story. Fluttershy was horrible in that episode, too. 

• Brohoof 1

Sonic Rainboom, (I hated it because Rarity was extremely out of character when she was in Cloudsdale)

Putting Your Hoof Down. (I hated it because of the overall story. Fluttershy was horrible in that episode, too.

Rarity out of character was the only thing I disliked with that episode. At first she seemed to be the most supportive and concerned friend, but it's like the writers erased that all away rabdomly making her oblivious to everything....they made her a narcissist. Rarity may sink into a moment of vanity....but she is no narcissist.

Putting your hoof down....was what I'll call a weak episode imo. Iron Will shouldn't have been the blame. In fact, Flutterbully was worst than Iron Will by a long shot. He didn't even seem like a bad guy....just more like an egotistical buff guy trying to make a living by giving advice no matter how "overrated" they may be

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

See while I think Sonic Rainboom is overrated, I disagree. The point was that Rarity wasn't acting like she normally would once she let the attention get to her head. She's intentionally written OOC basically though I suppose it was a bit too extreme and I do kinda resent it cutting off the momentum Rarity had after Suited for Success. Plus you still get one of Rarity's most overlooked moments of empathy and generosity when she picks up on Dashes insecurity and volunteers to have the spell tested on her.

Yeah looking back Putting Your Hoof is kinda like Mare-Do-Well in that everyone is kind of off though of the two it's the more enjoyable to me cause Iron Will is hamtastic and I always enjoy a good ham.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

See while I think Sonic Rainboom is overrated, I disagree. The point was that Rarity wasn't acting like she normally would once she let the attention get to her head. She's intentionally written OOC basically. Plus you still get one of Rarity's most overlooked moments of empathy and generosity when she picks up on Dashes insecurity and volunteers to have the spell tested on her.

Yeah looking back Putting Your Hoof is kinda like Mare-Do-Well in that everyone is kind of off though of the two it's the more enjoyable to me cause Iron Will is hamtastic.

On the Sonic Rainboom part, that is precisely why I said it was while she was in Cloudsdale. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Rainbow dash; Wonderbolt academy, sonic rainboom and Testing testing 123 are some of the absolute BEST episodes in this show to me, bar none. She has some stinkers, but all of the group does, and I think she hits higher "high notes" than anyone else, which evens out. (Think of it like a band having 5 songs rated 10/10 while another band has 8 rated 9.5/10. while the second has more consistent good, the fact that the 1st has more super good makes me hold to it, since I can always choose to not listen to the bad songs and listen to the good ones more)

for the CMC, sweetie belle. Though this is mainly because I think sweetie is the best CMC and don't really like the other 2's episodes XD