Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestrian Calendar, Time system, Measurement system & Language! (For RP)

deletedaccount2

Hello all,

Over the past few months I've been creating some Equestrian standards (language, measurement, time, etc) for some roleplays that I have been doing for a while. They wouldn't use the metric, imperial or US Customary system (even though scoots has used feet before). They wouldn't use a 365 day year, since Celestia and Luna can control the day/night cycle. Why make it convoluted? They'd make it all based around base-10, like metric.

My proposals are of the following:

-Equestrian Language

-Equestrian Standard Measurement (ESM)

-Equestrian Calendar

Language

First of all, Equestrian English. Here's some sample text to begin with:

Heniw eþ omibab' elif, ti nilio nide't a apterow ni umanih isterih nida eganib nozera.

The English meaning would be:

When the bombs fell, it only ended a chapter in human history and began another.

It isn't a new conlang from scratch; it is more of a language-game. Imagine a complex Pig-Latin.

The steps of this are:

-Write everything phonetically. Example: Phonetically = fonetikle, Equestrian = Ekwestrian

-Replace:

TH with þ

ING with Q

'S with '

ED with 'T

CH with W.

So far, our example sentence would look like this:

Henaw eþ omib' elaf, ti nileo nide't a apterow ni umanih istoryuh nida eganib noþera.

Few more steps:

-Bring the first letter of the word to the back of the word, ignoring any apostrophes.

Henw eþ omb' elf, ti nleo nde't a apterw ni umanh istryh nda eganb noþera.

-Place a vowel (according to the chart below) in between any consonants that can't be pronounced properly. (eg, nw, lf, nl, etc)

BCDF E

GHKL A
MNPQ I
RSTV O 
WXYZ U

Henaw eþ omib' elaf, ti nileo nide't a apterow ni umanih istoryuh nida eganib noþera.

No double letters, apart from vowels. Double vowels must be replaced as follows:
E - ë
A - ä
I - î
O - ô
U - ü

Atoþ' ti! Holdes eb esëë ot ëëder! :-)

Measurement system

Measurement is also fairly straight-forward. Here's the list of comparisons:

Length

1 microhoof = 0.00075 cm (0.0075 mm)

1 millihoof = 0.0075 cm (0.075 mm)

1 centihoof = 0.075 cm (0.75 mm)

1 decihoof = 0.75 cm (7.5 mm)

1 hoof = 7.5 cm 

1 dekahoof = 75 cm

1 hectahoof = 750 cm (7.5 m)

1 kilohoof = 7500 cm (75 m)

1 megahoof = 75000 cm (750 m)

Temperature

Sôla is the standard measurement.

Sôla = (°C + 12) / 0.46

°C = (Sôla * 0.46) -12

0°C = 12°S

20°C = 69°S

50°C = 134°S

100°C = 243°S

Volume

Lun is the standard.

1 Lun = 1 cubic decahoof (1 dh * 1 dh * 1 dh)

Calendar & Time

Now for the big one! I've worked on this for a bit  :ph34r:

Since royalty can control the day / night cycle, it is presumed that they control the seasons. Thus, making a 100-day year seems doable in their world!

1 year = 10 months

1 month = 2 weeks

1 week = 5 days

Thus, a 10 day month, with 10 months in a year! Years start counting from epoch (1st January 1970). It's 5/5/167 at the time of writing!

The date would be set up by day/month/year. None of that stupid American date system here!

As for time, it's a little more confusing  :dash:

Making a 10-hour day has been done by the French during the French revolution, although it never really caught on. 

1 day = 10 hours

1 hour = 100 minutes

1 minute = 100 seconds

After the calculations, 1 Earth second comes to 0.864 Equestrian / French seconds. Thus, the method of converting earth time to Equestrian time is simple: Calculate the number of seconds since midnight, multiply it by 0.864. The first digit of the result is the hour, the next 2 digits the minute and the last 2 the seconds! Midnight is 0:00:00, Noon is 5:00:00. It's around 9:35:36 at the time of writing  B)

Programs

I'm working to implement all of these into software as soon as I can. I've already completed a very rough Python 3.4.3 draft of the Calendar / Time system, which can be downloaded in the link below (source code included). Only real bug is when the time goes to 00:00:00. the time won't be 6 digits long. You'll know what I mean when you look at it. Just set your system clock to midnight.

Well, thanks for looking! This is just a draft so far. It's late down here, and my bed is calling my name  :fluttershy:

eqtime.zip

@ Hello there

Your topic seems to be better suited as a blog :)

Also for future reference, there is no need to create entire new topics just to make a few edits. That is what the edit button is for ;)

Therefore, this topic has been locked.