Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the ground in Equestria constantly kept clean? Hooves, walking, eating

Lektra Bolt

So this is probably a silly thread, but I was wondering something for a while now.

We see ponies walking around on all fours, duh, but then they need to do things like eat a cupcake or cook. Not Unicorns, of course. Pinkie is known for pulling cupcakes out of hammerspace and doing things with them........with the forehoof she was just using to walk/trot/etc. Lots of times they eat with their face which is normal, but nopony ever washes their hooves when handling things we humans usually need to wash our hands before touching. Like the dish that they used to bring the food to where they're going to eat. The Hayburger scene was notorious for this, with Earth Ponies having trays on their necks, Pinkie specifically, walking, then I figure they need to grab at least something with their hooves to eat.

So my question: Do you suppose there's no bacteria on the ground in Equestria? Is it just something the writers ignore because it's not a detail that would matter to the target audience? But let's just try to explain it in-universe. How come nopony washes their hooves when they need to do things that involve bacteria?

• Brohoof 1

Take your pick:

Ponies have a strong immune system.

Equestria is kept very clean.

They're fricken badasses and just don't give a shit.

Magic.

I vote for badasses. :kindness: Except for Rarity. :P

Edited by gyashaa
  • Brohoof 5

They probably just have very strong immune systems and are mostly immune to local bacteria. Humans are amazingly weak beings, hence the need for obsessive washing, though excessive sterilization reduces exposure to bacteria which weakens the immune system.

• Brohoof 2

Well, part of me says they don't have "germs" in the same way that we think of them, and part of me says that they must have really strong immune systems. But I don't think the ground being kept sanitary is an option, because then they'd have to wash their hooves after walking places like the Everfree Forest, and we don't see them doing that (though they technically could offscreen).

• Brohoof 1

Rarity somehow keeps her hooves clean, so either she washes excessively (rather likely), or they don't usually pick that much from the ground.

Unicorn/Alicorn is the exception though. The brainstorming is mostly focused on Earth Pony/Pegasus who can't use telekinesis.

Strong immune systems seems the most likely. I hadn't thought of that. Washing offscreen is possible, but we have often seen going directly from walking to picking things up with forehooves.

Actually, I'm starting to lean against a strong immune system, because then ponies that grew up in Cloudsdale would get sick when they first landed, and would be a lot more likely to get sick in general, and we don't see this type of distinction. I'm starting to think either that their germs are different, or that there's some type of magic that keeps them healthy.

Well for the immune system theory can't we just assume it's the same for all races? Why would Pegasi be any different that they'd get sick from what's on the ground?

Not that all pegusi would have weak immune systems, but the ones born in Cloudsdale wouldn't build up an immunity to the surface germs like the ponies that live on the ground would.

• Brohoof 1