Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Artifacts when viewing videos - help needed

Jokuc

So I've had this little problem with my new laptop for a while that is starting to get a bit annoying since it's happening more frequently lately.

Whenever I watch a video, I get these random artifacts all over the place

sig-4277245.sig-4277245.WsJIsnM.png

sig-4277245.sig-4277245.OYdrSIu.jpg

They appear at random times for about 3 seconds and sometimes the video freezes. At first I thought it was an issue with youtube's html5 player so I switched to flash, but then it happened in flash as well so I thought it was my browser, but it happened when I tried to watch videos in chrome too. After a while I also found out that the same problem occured while watching videos from video files and movies on my computer such as with WMP or VLC, MPC-HC etc.

This only apprears when watching videos so I thought it might have something to do with overheating, I looked at the GPU temperature while I had these issues but they were normal at around 40C and the fan speed was stable as well. Although artifacts are usually caused by hardware problems, it looks like there's some sort of software issue here... and the computer is completely new as well so it's kind of odd.

My guess is that it has something to do with the video drivers so I checked the drivers for both the Intel HD Graphics 4600 and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M card but both of them are fully up to date.

Everything works just fine when dealing with heavy 3D graphic renderings and demanding games, I even tried a heavy gpu stress test and it did fine but as soon as I put on a video (no matter how low the quality is) I eventually end up with these weird digital artifacts and flickering patterns.

I had the same problem before I updated my drivers as well so going back isn't worth trying.

I'm running Windows 10 latest ver x64and here are the specs https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G501JW/specifications/

I should probably be posting this in a tech forum instead but I'm too lazy to make new accounts and all that crap so I thought I'll be asking here first to see if anyone has the same problem.

PS. Yes, I've tried system repair, restore etc etc.

If it's a brand new computer it's probably a hardware issue. Regardless of whether or not everything is up to date, computers sometimes ship with malfunctioning hardware. A friend of mine had problems with a brand new laptop of his, and it turned out he had a bad graphics card. He had to get it replaced, and then everything worked normally.

I don't know much about computers though, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

• Brohoof 1