Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with DwhitetheGamer

Illiad Easle

@@Illiad Easle,

"Oh, I apologize.  I was a little carried away to notice."

Copper blushed with embarrassment when he forgot yet another detail in his letter.

His ears perked up in the name the Bat pony had.  "Starlight, huh?  What a nice name, ma'am."  he said, still keeping his low voice.

He was surprised when he heard about some attack by this Disciple, but he kept his composure.  "Wow.  That's tough."

He smiled slightly at Starlight.  "Actually, yes, I would like to know something.  What happened during this Disciple's invasion?  And what artifact was he trying to get, assuming he didn't get it?"

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Starlight gave a bit of a nonplussed look, "The Disciple was after Fastar's staff, the one he used back when he was alive. He had it sealed in his tomb with him saying that it would be given to someone like him in the future. And I guess the Disciple was it since it got got by him. It wasn't really an invasion, he came took the staff, broke the tomb for giving him so much trouble, and left. Last I heard Twilight did something to him and the staff went missing again. We're keeping an eye out for it if it turns up again." She sighed, with a bit of a pleading look on her face. "Do you actually have questions about Thestrals? or do you just focus on the most interesting part of what we say?

@@Illiad Easle

Copper had a surprised look on him when the mare asked him if he was only interested in the important stuff, and not the Thestrals.  

"Oh," he said, still in his low voice.  "I'm so sorry.  I just had my curiosity on when I heard about Disciple.  Anyways, here's a question.  What does your clan do during the night?  As in, what jobs do each Thestral do as far as ranks and stuff?"

(edited)

@@DwhitetheGamer,

She sighed, a bit of an embarrassed look came to her face. "It's okay, I can understand your enthusiasm. Thestrals are for the most part nocturnal so we do pretty much our whole lives during the night, we work, play, all that sort of thing. We function like a typical pony society where everyone does what they're best at and helps out when we're short in an area. The only sort of hierarchy is the royals, so long as the citizens support them descendants of Starlight Fastar have been in charge, there's been a few bad Fastar descendants that had to be deposed, but the rule has always returned to my family line after a generation or two. This ruling setup is what has allowed us to stay strong and independent unlike many of the other clans who have turned to Luna and Equestria for their protection. Most clans are nomadic, clinging to the old ways while we have adapted to the times to keep up with the flow of society."

Edited by Illiad Easle

@@Illiad Easle,

(Sorry I didn't post earlier, I lost my train of thought on this.)

Copper nodded as Starlight explained her tribe's doings, but he was rather surprised when she mentioned that they didn't turn to Luna and Equestria for help.

"Your clan must be that strong, if you're not turning to the rulers of Equestria," he said after she finished.  "But does your clan have any ties to Euqestria at all?"

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(Formatting seems odd)

"It helps that there are not many predators in this forest or area thanks to the Black Knight's protection. He's taken to training some of us in strategy and leadership, some of our number are serving as Generals in Luna's army and there is a Lunar Task Force made up of members of our clan. Both have contingencies in their contracts that they obey the clan before Equestria, but their skill makes them valuable nonetheless."

Starlight seemed contemplative for a moment.

"​Other than that I can't think of any relations other than the occasional trade deal for whatever we can't make ourselves, but those are growing more infrequent as we've expanded." 

@@Illiad Easle

Copper raised an eyebrow as soon as Starlight mentioned Luna's army.  He knew the Princess of the Night had a following, but he never knew he had an army.

"Princess Luna had an army?  I knew she had a following, but never an army.  Does she know about the army? he asked to Midnight Star, cocking his head to the side.  "If she does, how do you reach her?"

He then turned to Starlight.  "Also, does Luna ever show up here to, you know, have a little talk with you guys lately?"

@@DwhitetheGamer,

"Princess Luna is in charge of a full half of the royal guard and a segment of the Equestrian Military, namely the Lunar Task Forces."

"Thestrals from our clan are a majority of her generals in the guard, the contract contingency prevents us from being her guard captain. One of her forces in the LTF is made entirely of our clan, her top team, Bravo Luna Unity, has a Thestral of another clan again due to the contract contingency. We are fiercely loyal to those we serve, but we are loyal to our clan above all. That is what has made us strong."

"Luna visits for one of two reasons, to meet with Sir and I about the state of the world, and to meet with Starlight's father to report on the condition of the Fastar clan Thestrals she employs. She hasn't visited in a social setting since she returned, perhaps she has not yet forgiven me for my words to her in the days leading up to her banishment. We hope in the years that follow she will become more open as she acclimates to the world, the Children want nothing else.

@@Illiad Easle

"I see.  I must say, I'm impressed with your clan, Starlight.  Though, now that I think about it, I'll talk with Princess Luna about the clan in my dreams when I go back to Ponyville.  Hopefully she can forgive you, Midnight."

Copper then gazed around, admiring the sight of the Thestrals around the village.

"This is amazing.  It was like this when I first moved to Ponyville.  Everypony is nice, the scenery is great and everything."

(edited)

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Both Midnight and Starlight turned towards Copper with somewhat surprised expressions.

"Luna actually talks to you in your dreams? You out of so many? You really are a special individual if that is the case. When I knew her before she was banished she said that she could only interact with a few dozen dreams each night in addition to keeping nightmares at bay. With the expanse of population she no doubt has even less time to interact. You are lucky she has taken such a notice to you."

"I too am surprised, but I'm glad you like it here. I like it too, it's come a long way since Fastar first came here from Equestria about two centuries ago."

"We should start making our way up the mountain now before it gets too dark. there will be more oppourtunities to see the full Thestral village later."

Edited by Illiad Easle

@@Illiad Easle,

Copper had a surprised look on his face the moment they said their surprised statements.  But he recovered, following both up the mountain.

"Well, you just explained why it wasn't so easy, Midnight.  I had a nightmare that I wasn't quick enough to help somepony in need and gave me fits of anger afterwards, and trust me, it takes quite a bit to get me worked up.  Princess Luna came to my dreams and had calmed me down, but when she noticed my cutie mark, she wanted to see what I could do.  So I showed her my Spin Dash talent, and she praised me by saying I'm the fastest Earth Pony in Equestria.  I still talk to her, but not as often as you might think.  And thanks, Starlight."

(edited)

@@DwhitetheGamer,
(Sorry for the delay, I had to do some math)

Midnight gained a bit amused and quite skeptical expression at Luna's apparent praise. Starlight's expression was similar, but with a bit more of a smile on it. "Luna you wound me, though I suppose since I'm not in Equestria anymore her statement could still be true. I was once called the fastest Earth Pony in the world, there haven't been many competitions recently where I could prove it again, but I'd like to think I've still got it after all this time."
Starlight's smile grew a bit wider, "Ooh! You two should race sometime! See who is faster and worthy of the title of Fastest Earth Pony. Your welcome Copper."
Midnight's face grew more intrigued.
"That does sound interesting. Copper, would you be interested in racing at some point during this exchange?"

Edited by Illiad Easle

@@Illiad Easle,

(It's all right.  I can wait.)

Copper knew he hit a competitive mark on Midnight as soon as he saw the older Earth Pony's skeptical expression.  He then looked at Starlight, who suggested racing.  He had a wide smile on him.

"Sounds good to me.  But first, I need to see how fast Midnight can go before I decide if I can use my Spin Dash, because I am quite a bit faster than the average pony without it."  

He yawned.  "How about you showcase to me in the morning, Midnight, assuming you've already shown Starlight?  I'm getting a little sleepy."

(edited)

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Starlight nodded, "As you've probably noticed, Midnight is no average Earth Pony. I heard he once hit 35 unassisted."

"I guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see me in action though. You'll have to keep yourself awake a bit longer, the mountain is no easy climb."

They bade their farewells before making their way towards the mountain, passing through the zebra village quickly as the residents gave copper a wide berth. In about half an hour they reached the base of the mountain. From here they could see the flickering lights of the scattered Children edifices as well as a few moving about. Those that noticed the approaching group could tell that they were in a bit of a hurry, so they simply smiled and waved as they passed. The Children that copper could see were greyish and blueish, somewhat like the Thestrals, but there were a few of lighter colors still up. Up close they could see that there were a whole bunch of buildings going all up and into the mountain, there were likely a few thousand ponies living here, compared to the hundred or so Thestrals. In the distance they could see the lights of the castle, it wasn't as grand as Canterlot castle, but it looked in much better shape than the previous Equestrian capital. 

As they approached the Colony thinned out. The castle seemed to be getting taller as they approached. Three towers rose from its center, the middle one taller than the other two and the whole area seemed charged with a strange energy like when you shuffle across a shag carpet.

They finally reached the tall iron doors, Midnight approached before turning back towards Copper. "Most, if not all of the residents are asleep by now, I will take you around in the morning and answer your questions then, the current griffon delegate is a fairly light sleeper and can get rather cross when awoken early so I'd recommend being as quiet as you can until morning. If you have anymore questions tonight now would be the time to ask them."

(I have a few questions regarding your character. On your sheet you said you pushed a boulder with your spin dash; How heavy was the boulder, given that stone weighs about 100lbs per cubic foot? How far did you push it? and what percentage of top speed would you say you were going at the time? How heavy are you, given that the average pony is 200-400kg. I will use these numbers to determine your top speed empirically.)

Edited by Illiad Easle

@@Illiad Easle

(First, the boulder was about 430 lbs.  The paper that Copper pushed it a little bit, but to get technical it was about 5-10 meters.  He was going about 45% of his full speed, given he goes as fast as a racing Pegasus.  Given the solid build he has, Copper is around 250-280kg.)

"35 unassisted?  That's impressive.  And that's okay, I can go a few more minutes."

Copper followed Midnight up the mountains and to the castle after giving his goodbye to Starlight.  When they reached the castle, Copper stopped as Midnight turned to tell him about the griffons.

"Actually, I think I've enough answers for today.  I'll think of some questions for tomorrow." 

(edited)

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(Thanks, with those numbers you hit 17.337m/s or 38.78 mph. I miscalculated Midnight's speed, it is actually 19.656m/s instead of 35m/s)

"Alright then. Stay close as we move, I don't want you getting lost on your first night."

The doors opened quieter than their size would imply and the two entered the castle. It was dimly lit within, but there was enough light to see and walk around by. The entry hall was high, but narrow, a defense feature no doubt, they went to the right into the hallway withing the castle wall. This hallway was a bit shorter, but wider, there were small windows at even intervals that looked out and down the mountain. They turned left at the corner and proceeded down the new hall. The windows stopped appearing in the wall and instead were replaced by doors spaced a bit further than the windows, the doors were each marked with the name of a country, beneath which a replaceable placard held a name. Many of the countries represented would not be familiar to Copper, especially the one marked Trojan Empire. They also passed some more commonly labeled rooms like Kitchen, Dining Area 3, and Broom Closet. Eventually they came to a room labeled Equestria, Midnight opened the door with a key and led Copper inside.

Within the room there was a large bed as well as a decently sized dresser. There was also a doorway inside that likely led to a bathroom. The room was softly lit with some glowing crystals that glowed brighter as they were approached. They were situated in a way that they would be darkest when someone was in the bed. Midnight gave Copper the key he used to open the door. "I hope everything is to your liking, if there's anything you need now is the time to ask, otherwise it will have to wait until morning. If you are up before I come for you you can head down to the dining area we passed on the way here and you can get started on your breakfast."

Edited by Illiad Easle

@@Illiad Easle,

(I see.  Thanks for the input.)

Copper nodded, keeping close to Midnight as they went through the castle.   He marveled at the scenery at the room Midnight took him to, as he looked around at the unfamiliar countries.

Copper was given a key to the door, as Midnight explained if there was anything he needed.

"Thanks, but I've got what I needed.  Goodnight, Midnight."

He walked quietly to his room, and proceeded to his bed, getting comfy before pulling up the sheets.

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(I just really like math and the concept of finding speed using given data was a fun challenge. Btw, at full speed you could push a boulder about 200x larger a full three inches. Isn't physics fun?)

Midnight sighed as he left Copper's room. It wasn't the tired sigh he had been using more frequently over the years, but a happy one. It seemed there was still a chance for Equestria's future, and that thought gave him hope. Midnight entered the courtyard in the center of the outer walls, the delegate's rooms were all built into the mountain for extra protection, as were other important rooms. Midnight stopped walking at the peak of the North tower, he simply stared at the night sky, at Luna's moon. He remembered the days before the troubles, back when she gave him his extended lifespan. She had overdone it and it seemed likely he would even outlive her at this rate, but he didn't care. He wished it could have worked out better between them, or that he could have the courage to talk to her when she visited, to apologize for his words.

He left the tower and returned to his room, laying in his bed he slept. 

@@Illiad Easle

As Copper entered the dream realm, he imagined himself at the starting line in the race with Midnight.  He would smile at his opponent, and Midnight would smile back.  They prepped themselves at the starting line, but before the sound of "GO!" could be heard, the entire scenery around Copper changed.  Everything disappeared, with the only pony standing before him was Princess Luna.  She had a slight smile on her face before walking over to him.

"My apologizes, Copper.  I did not mean to intrude your dreams."

Copper smiled.  "Hello, Princess Luna.  It's okay, I actually expected you."

Luna raised an eyebrow.  "You did?"

Copper nodded.  "Yes.  I want to talk to you about Midnight.  Do you remember him?"

Luna sighed.  "Yes.  I remember him.  I was the one who gave him an extended life span."

Copper nodded.  "He told me.  And he wants to make amends with you."

She smiled lightly.  "It has been too long since I last spoke with him.  Maybe it is time I have spoken to him again.  Tell me, though, why art thou racing him in your dreams?"

Copper chuckled a bit.  "Well, long story short, I told him that when you helped me in my nightmare, after I showed you my Spin Dash, you called me the fastest Earth Pony in Equestria.  I knew I hit a competitive mark on him, because he offered to race me during our exchange."

Luna tilted her head in confusion.  "Exchange?  What does thou mean?"

Copper grinned.  "It means we share each other's cultural life, friends, all of that."

Luna nodded a bit.  "Ah, I see.  But a race?  Hmm.  That does sound interesting.  I will have to speak with my sister about watching this race with me, and maybe the rest of Equestria."

Copper raised an eyebrow.  "Wow.  It'd be interesting to see how he reacts to that."

Luna smiled.  "Indeed.  Well, I must go.  I am going to have a talk with Midnight."

Copper nodded.  "Very well.  Goodbye, Princess Luna."

"Goodbye, Copper Strikes.  Oh, and an early good luck on that race."

Copper beamed as Luna disappeared.  He knew he would have a great time in the race, Celestia forbid anything happening in between.  He gazed at the infinite depths of his mind before returning to the dream.

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(I wasn't planning on having Luna show up until later, but sure.)

Midnight's dreams weren't like a normal pony's, they never had been. His mind was more complex, a level of order gained by centuries of discipline and training. He didn't so much sleep as meditate in the white room of his mind, tonight was different.

Midnight sat in a comfortable chair next to a table across which sat Sir. Sir looked as well dressed as he always did in the mind room, and was similarly relaxed.

"So, How'd your first day of the exchange go?"

"Well enough, Copper is an interesting sort, he has a sense of the world hidden by his excitement. One would not initially see the depth of his understanding by his appearance and mannerisms."

"Much like you and I so long ago then."

"I suppose so, Starlight approves of him though the Zebras are still wary. The Children are currently passive and I fear what the order might think. They're so much like the originals, it almost scares me."

"The world isn't as simple as it was I'm afraid, I'm almost glad I never got my chance to be king."

"Well, I hope the rest of the week goes well, he should get along with the Children and the Order fine, he has expressed an interest in the changelings."

"Permu's delegate has always been a curious one, I'm sure they would love to answer his questions."

"I hadn't thought of that, I suppose Permu's far enough away that it wouldn't be too damaging if things go badly, I'll talk to them about it in the morning."

Sir was about to speak when they both felt a presence entering Midnight's dream, it was placed in an adjoining room. Sir turned back towards Midnight. "It looks like you have a visitor, I'll leave you two alone."

Sir disappeared from the room, as did the table and his chair. A door appeared to connect the adjoining room. Midnight approached the door with a bit of hesitation, he knew all too well who was waiting on the other side, and he wondered if he was ready to face her. With a deep breath he opened the door. When he saw her standing there he froze, the walls of the room dissolving into nothing until all that remained was the two of them suspended on a small floor in the midst of nothing. Luna looked the way she did before the banishment, the way she did when he called off their relationship after Sir's imprisonment. He remembered what he said, what she said. "Luna...

I'm sorry..."

His fear returned, he feared what she might say, he had always feared what she might do if he ever approached her. This fear in place the dream was broken.

Midnight awoke in a cold sweat, still shivering from the fear. He knew what Luna was capable of, he had fought her to defend Sir once. He could feel her power, she could kill him in an instant if she wanted. He hoped he would never give her a reason to do so. He had fled when he broke off their relationship, worried that she would retaliate. He had run from Canterlot all the way to Archback mountain in the hope of escaping her possible wrath. The nightmare incident happened a few days later.

Midnight knew it would be a futile effort to try and sleep again tonight, not while she was possibly waiting for him. 

@@Illiad Easle

Princess Luna was confused.  She assumed that as soon as Midnight saw her, he didn't want to deal with her.  So she teleported to the Archback Mountains to find him.

When she arrived at the Colony's castle, she went inside, being careful not to wake anyone inside.  She eventually found Midnight, who was awake from the nightmare.

She had a concerned look on her face.  "Midnight." she said.

Edited by DwhitetheGamer

@@DwhitetheGamer,

(Retcon, the Luna I mentioned in my post is the real Luna, she was worried by the abrupt end of the dream and decided to investigate.)

Midnight was never one for surprises, especially when he was on edge. Which is why Luna found herself with a blade to her throat when she entered his room without even knocking first. "Who..." His eyes went wide when he saw who dared. He lowered his hoof blade and retreated a few steps. No doubt she was here about what he said and did in the dream. As he had feared, she had backed him into a corner. He sighed, careful not to take his eyes off of her. "Why the sudden interest Luna? No words between us in the years you've been back and out of the blue you show up at my doorsteps?" He shuddered again as he remembered their last confrontation, it was so similar to this one. "What more do you want from me?"

The immense amount of fear from Midnight did not go unnoticed. Down the hall Permu's delegate was up late working when he felt Midnight's fear. He was instantly worried for his friend and thus Interchange left his room to see what was causing Midnight such fear. His goldish coat shimmered softly in the torchlight, he peered around the corner that led to Midnight's room and was surprised to see Luna standing in Midnight's open doorway. Inter knew he couldn't hold off Luna, but he would be sure to alert the Black Knight if things went badly.

@@Illiad Easle,

(Ah, I didn't know.  Sorry.)

Luna was very surprised when she saw the blade in her throat, but she recovered, levitating the blade away with her magic.  She could feel the fear inside of him, and she wanted to rid of it altogether.

"I want to make amends for our actions before my banishment.  I want to let you know that thou can come back to Equestria whenever thou want, and that I both apologize and forgive you.

Copper jolted awake at the noise earlier and promptly went out of bed.  Quickly but quietly, he traced the noise to Midnight's room, where he could find Luna and Midnight, as well as another pony who showed up.

"Princess Luna? he said quietly.

"Hello, Copper.  I am so sorry to wake you.  I am here to make amends with my old friend."

@@DwhitetheGamer,

Inter thought the whole situation was just getting strange, but could tell that intervention on his part was not required. He turned about and returned to his room.

Midnight, while experiencing significantly less fear about the situation, was surprised at Luna's willingness to forgive. Her time on the moon had really changed her from the brash and passion filled mare he knew. He sighed. "Thank you for forgiving me. Though my word were correct, I was wrong to have said them in such a way as I did." He looked back up at Luna "I was always free to return to Equestria, my home is here now, with Sir and the Children. But I am glad to be welcome in your eyes." He sighed again before noticing Copper. "Is there something you need Copper?

@@Illiad Easle,

Copper smiled as soon as he heard the forgiveness from Midnight to Luna.  He knew an old friendship would return to its rightful ways, and he was glad to help.  He turned to Midnight who was talking to him.

"No.  I just came to see what was up.  I should go back to bed now.  Goodnight."

He then turned and went back to his room, going to sleep.

Luna smiled a warm smile at his old friend.  "I have not seen the Children since before my banishment, and I am so glad you have taken care of them.  To be frank, though, one thousand years did not change me when I returned, the new bearers of the Elements of Harmony did.  You should see them, Midnight, for they are grand little ponies."

Edited by DwhitetheGamer