Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Commission Advice (Prices)?

ShadOBabe

Hey everyone, I was considering opening up a couple slots for commissions on DeviantArt. But I've never been paid for my work before. I was wondering if these were reasonable prices in your opinion?

commission_prices_by_shadobabe-d9qiura.p

I think they're pretty fair. I'd pay that much.

More complicated characters like a Draconequus or something would cost extra.

More than one character would also cost extra. Limit three there.

What do you guys think? Feedback would be super appreciated.

• Brohoof 3

You could also sell simple sketches by say 5 dollars.

As of now, I believe they seem pretty fair. Congrats and good luck on your enterprise missus.

• Brohoof 1

Would deer be complicated? D:

But seriously, I think those are fair prices. :)

• Brohoof 2

You could also sell simple sketches by say 5 dollars.

As of now, I believe they seem pretty fair. Congrats and good luck on your enterprise missus.

I suppose I could!

Thanks hon. I'm a little nervous about this, but it should be fun!

Would deer be complicated? D:

But seriously, I think those are fair prices. :)

Heehee, well I haven't exactly figured out how to draw them right yet, but no, they shouldn't cost anymore than a pony would. Thanks for the feedback hon.

• Brohoof 2

I think you're on a good track with that. :) Your prices seem fair, though I don't know exactly the time/energy involved in each stage. I find those two things can have a notable impact on how happy you are with payment, final results aside.  :lol: There's no shame in adjusting up or down if you're finding it more draining or easier to do than expected. 

I hope your commissions go well though!  ;) First step is always the hardest, but overall I've found people are cool about it.

Edited this message a little now that I'm not posting from my phone.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know how much time you spend on it, but make sure you pay yourself minimum wage at least. You should include the time you spend discussing it with the client, thinking up the concept, looking up reference images, in addition to the time you spend actually drawing it. For example, if you spend 6 hours on a drawing you get $20 out of, it might seem good until you consider you could get $60 if you had spent that time washing dishes or sweeping floors instead.

The art industry on the whole is extremely underpaid, so avoid using other artists' prices as an estimation of value, because they're typically less than what they should really be asking. Underpricing is a huge issue in the art community, as low prices make people think art in general is worth less than it actually is, so just keep in mind that prices create impressions of value in the eyes of others, and that can have wide-reaching effects.

It also depends on how desperate you are for money. It's true that you won't get many offers if you sell at minimum wage or higher, so if you have bills to pay and things to buy that you don't mind overworking yourself over, low prices are an option. Just always remember to value your work and all the time you spent to acquire your level of skills.

:)

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think your prices are on point! My only suggestion would be to lower the "line art" to $8 or $9... in my experience, people are more wiling to buy when the number is not rounded up?? I know it doesn't make much sense but it's a marketing thing! Your art is beautiful! Best of luck to you!

• Brohoof 1