Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Using Walkthroughs/Guides

PoisonClaw

I'm sure you've encountered this before: you're several hours into a game, well and truly invested in the story and enjoying the experience the game and what it has to offer, when all of sudden...

BAM! You hit a metaphorical wall that stops you dead.

Maybe you've encountered a Moon Logic Puzzle, where the solution can only be realized while standing on your head under the light of a full moon, while juggling exactly seven peaches and singing "I'm a Little Teapot". Maybe you've encounter a boss or enemy that must be beaten in a specific way or using a particular method outside of grinding 20+ levels. Or maybe you're just trying to collect all the collectables that may as well be the size of a dime. 

At what point then, do you think it's okay to use a walkthrough? Some games even come with guidebooks on day one, though I think that spoils the fun when you have something that tells you how to play the game before you've even gone through it once. 

Me, I tend to avoid walkthroughs until I'm finished my first playthrough, with exceptions for when I've already spent the last hour or two trying to advance and about ready to chuck my controller against a wall. and when I bought a Pokemon Dex guide so I knew how everything evolved and when they learned what moves. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with using walkthroughs/guides for unlocking things that are otherwise very difficult to unlock or if it's something that's so difficult that you have to use a guide.

Otherwise, using the guide for literally everything for every game you play? You might as well stop playing games all together

I don't see any issues with using walkthroughs.

I only use them when I need help, but I know people who use them throughout the whole game.

Games are meant to be fun. Some people enjoy working through a problem but others would rather progress through the game without getting frustrated, either is fine. I mostly use them when I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

* i like to play things on my own and turn to a walkthrough if i get stuck on a specific part for too long. i'll just look up the solution for whatever bit i'm on, get past it and carry on. i'd rather not spend too long getting super frustrated over it.

Using guides or walkthroughs are completely fine, especially if the game begins to become difficult to a point where you don't know what to do next. Sometimes I use them to figure out what things I am forgetting, such as vital plot lines I am supposed to follow.

Nowadays, depending on the game, I like to try to keep my first playthrough blind to keep it a surprise. I go to a guide only if I am completely stuck and have nooooo idea what to do. If it is impeding my game progress then there isn't much point in wasting time anyways. 

• Brohoof 1

Nowadays, depending on the game, I like to try to keep my first playthrough blind to keep it a surprise. I go to a guide only if I am completely stuck and have nooooo idea what to do. If it is impeding my game progress then there isn't much point in wasting time anyways

+1, I only go to walkthroughs once I am entirely stuck and it's either give up on the game or progress by looking something up.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the game. Using one on a game as linear as CoD kinda defeats the purpose but some games the instructions are so non-existent it's hard not to. I'd say use it as a last resort but there is no shame in using one. But really just play the game as you please you bought it for your enjoyment so if I guide adds to that live and let live.

• 2 years later...

I've never had problems in using walkthroughs, in fact, I even believe that they can help enhance the gameplay experience under the circumstances. I have always hated missing "X item" and missing a chance to use a great strategy in dealing with a certain group of enemies or a boss and having to tell myself, "I wish I had known that earlier.". And of course, there's always getting lost, which does not help the challenge of the game at all and only creates tedium. Only time I hate using walkthroughs is for puzzle games. Those are no fun whatsosever unless you figure them out for yourself. 

I personally use walkthroughs when I start getting lost or I have no idea what I should be doing in a game. Which is fine. Though abusing and overusing them ruins the experience, so I think it's best to try to use them only as needed.

• 1 year later...

Usually I only use a walkthrough if I'm completely stuck on something, or if a game has so much complexity that there's no hope for me to figure out anything on my own. Terraria and World of Warcraft come to mind.

• Brohoof 1