Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Warhammer 40k/30k

Custos Umbra

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.09.2017 at 2:13 PM, DJ_Bonebraker said:

That's actually one of the OTHER main reasons I never really got into 40K (aside from the whole 40K being the price tag for a reasonable army):  I just can't get into any setting where EVERY faction are complete & utter monsters, because then I don't have anyone to root for (although I do kind of like the Orks' general "Eff Dis, we'z all gunna get krumped one way or da odder, so we's might as well 'ave as much fun seein' 'ow many of da odder guyz we can krump first" attitude).  I guess that's why, in fan fiction I tend to prefer stories about the Orks or "joke" factions like the Angry Marines (Always Angry! All The Time!) or Reasonable Marines because they inject some desperately needed humor into all the grim darkness....

Well, one can argue that Eldar.. sorry, Aeldari, some of the Thousand Sons, Alpha Legion (but who the hell could tell if anything is true about Alphas?) and a few of loyal Space Marine chapter (Space Wolves, Salamanders, Lamenters) are qualified to be called Good guys of 40k.

• Brohoof 1

59 minutes ago, Somberhoof said:

Well, one can argue that Eldar.. sorry, Aeldari, some of the Thousand Sons, Alpha Legion (but who the hell could tell if anything is true about Alphas?) and a few of loyal Space Marine chapter (Space Wolves, Salamanders, Lamenters) are qualified to be called Good guys of 40k.

The closest thing to 'good guys' that exist in 40K is the Tau, and that's only because their particular brand of authoritarianism is rather more subtle and insidious than any of the others.

32 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

The closest thing to 'good guys' that exist in 40K is the Tau, and that's only because their particular brand of authoritarianism is rather more subtle and insidious than any of the others.

There's also now Roboute Guilliman, who even managed to ally with Aeldari and who's generaly a cool dude.
(Hurts to say that, since I'm quite sick of all that Ultramarine praise)

Edited by Somberhoof

4 hours ago, Somberhoof said:

Anyone who worships the emperor is a chump and fighting for a lost cause. The human empire tortures and enslaves trillions.

Aeldari? is that some new revision I'm not aware of?

38 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Anyone who worships the emperor is a chump and fighting for a lost cause. The human empire tortures and enslaves trillions.

Aeldari? is that some new revision I'm not aware of?

Its the new (trademarkable) name for the Eldar, the same reasoning that was behind calling the Imperial Guard the Astra Militarum.

55 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Surprisingly he tries to make Imperium a more democratic place, like he did with Ultramar before the Heresy and doesn't worship the Emperor, since he knows he isn't a God. Hell, he even tried to CURE people and worlds of Nurgle's plagues instead of, you know.. burning them all alive?
Also he and his old pal brought new Marines, new technologies, brought back to battle the Custodian Guard..

Fills much less grim-dark with him now.

5 hours ago, Somberhoof said:

Surprisingly he tries to make Imperium a more democratic place, like he did with Ultramar before the Heresy and doesn't worship the Emperor, since he knows he isn't a God. Hell, he even tried to CURE people and worlds of Nurgle's plagues instead of, you know.. burning them all alive?
Also he and his old pal brought new Marines, new technologies, brought back to battle the Custodian Guard..

Fills much less grim-dark with him now.

I must say, watching a play-through of Space Marine made me re-think my opinion of the Ultra-smurfs as well.  It even inspired me to make Captain Titus as a Create A Soul character in Soul Calibur V (I gave him Siegfried's move-set and this one sword that looks like an Astartes power sword)...  Then again, I also created a Blood Raven (whom I just named Spess Mehreen) and Angry Marine as well.....

• Brohoof 1